Marcela Pena
Marcela Pena
  • Argentina

A Bed With Canopy

A client asked me for a romantic bed. But she said she didn´t want a bed, she wanted THE bed. So I had to think of something special...
a bed with canopy
I chose a traditional Louis XV bed
a bed with canopy
I painted the whole body in a very pale light blue, and the frames white. Chose the image of a crown and flowers for the centre of the headboard, since it always contributes to a romantic look.
a bed with canopy
I chose a nice image of crown from the web and printed in a domestic printer. Then rubbed a pencil on the back and transferred the outline to the headboard
With an extra thin paintbrush I outlined the drawing
a bed with canopy
Painted it dark grey
a bed with canopy
Sanded the whole image for a more delicate look, and gave lights and shadows with colour wax (graphite and silver)
a bed with canopy
Started painting some very pale roses around. Although I didn´t take photos of this, I used oil paint in the end because was not satisfied with the ones painted in acrylics.
a bed with canopy
Using the same technique as the crown, transferred the scroll taken from the web, and painted
a bed with canopy
Added some half pearls for a stunning look!
a bed with canopy
And this is what the headboard looked like in the end. I wanted to add a canopy or baldaquino on top of the headboard, so I needed a wooden panel to hang the curtain.
a bed with canopy
I used an old footboard. Cut off some parts,
a bed with canopy
Added mouldings, or appliques...
a bed with canopy
painted them dark brown to have a background for distressing afterwards.
a bed with canopy
Painted the whole piece white and distressed.
a bed with canopy
Hanged the curtain from the back, and that´s it! Ready!
a bed with canopy
"The" bed my client had asked for!
Marcela Pena

• Krissy

This is absolutely stunning!!!! Where did you find the bed???

• Marcela Pena

I usually go to auctions near my hometown. That is pretty easy to find here...

• Jane shorette

I have been thinking of doing same thing....so that I can have a private place to paint....iII. ld like it to match my coastal/ cottage living room. Ideas?

• Lynn Crevda

I need Coastal Cottage ideas to turn my ugly condo into my beautiful beach cottage !!

• Mary

What did you use to hook the curtains back on either side of the bed?

• Lisa West

This peice is absolutley GORGEOUS. THERE ARE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE THE BEAUTY OF THIS PEICE. THANK YOU FOR SHARING.

• Cricket

This set-up came out amazing and I should say that your client ended up with, "The Bed!" Beautiful job!