Christmas Lollipops and Pole

$5

How can PVC pipe and a pool noodle be used as Christmas decor? Just wait and see.
Step 1: Start with an inexpensive pool noodle. Mine are from the Dollar Tree but you can get them at Walmart and other stores too. Cut the noodle down the middle with a utility knife.
Step 2: Depending on your utility knife, it may not always go all the way through. You can easily split it and cut where needed.
Step 3: Now you have two halves. Using a glue gun, add glue to both sides of the ends of the noodles to make one long piece. Be careful not to touch the tip to the noodle since it will melt it. It will melt some anyway.
Step 4: You can wrap tape around the noodle to make it look more like candy or leave it plain. I wrap tape on one and left the other plain. If using tape, do this before adding the hot glue. Also, gather something that you can us to hold the curled up noodle. I used some large twistie ties.
Step 5: Add the hot glue and then begin to curl up the noodle Make sure to keep it tight. You may need to add a little more glue when you reach the end. Take your twistie ties and wrap around the curled up noodle. This will hold it in place while it dries.
Step 6: Once the noodle is dried, you need to cut a hole for the PVC pipe to fit into. (See my web site for complete instructions on how to do this)
Step 7: Add a generous amount of hot glue to the end of your PVC pipe. Mine was 3/4 inch OD (outer diameter) Insert into the hole in the noodle. Let that dry.
Step 8: I purchased a Basket bag from the Dollar Tree. Make sure to get one that you use a hair dryer to melt the bag to the basket. Place it over the noodle part and tie it around the PVC pipe. Next get your hair dryer and add some heat The bag will shrink up and around the noodle.
Step 9: Add some ribbon to your lollipop.
Step 10: I inserted a piece of rebar into the ground at a slight angle then placed the PVC pipe over it. You could always use a stick or some other material.
Step 11: Creating the Christmas Pole. I used a 2 inch OD (other diameter) PVC pipe for my pole. I taped it off and then sprayed painted it with red paint. You could also use red tape and no paint.
Step 12: While the pole was drying, I cut a square piece of Styrofoam and hot glued a 4 inch round Styrofoam to that. I secured it with my twistie ties.
Step 13: Once it was dry, I spray painted the with red paint. The ball was OK but the flat Styrofoam started to "melt" .The more I sprayed the more it melted. So the broke off what was left and just used the ball. I glued it to the top of the PVC pole.
Step 14: I purchased this sign at the end of the year. It already had a hook on the back so I drilled a hole in the PVC pipe and then used some wire to secure the sign to the pole. This was I can take it off for storing.
Step 15: The lettering on the sign did not show up so I painted over the letters with white paint. Please check my web site for more complete pictures, tips and tricks for cleaning PVC pipe, how to get the hole for the lollipop, and other tips. You can see complete details on my site for creating this display and you can also find out how I made the wooden present box.

22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Eclectic Red Barn

• Susan Grekso
    Susan Grekso

So cute! I love these ideas.

• Melody Boling Medlock
    Melody Boling Medlock

I have seen so many failed attempts at this project. I have watched so many how to's and bought all of the supplies about 5 years or so ago. However, I never attempted do to all of the failed attempts I have seen. So many fall off of the "sticks", people have made a melted foam and hot glue mess and so on. I have never seen a tutorial where they first slice the pool noodle in half. Why didn't I think of that before? Thank you so much for sharing. Now I am ready to proceed and use the supplies that have just been gathering dust. Very well done!

• Eclectic Red Barn
      Eclectic Red Barn

Thank you for the lovely comment. I have had mine for years now and they still look great like the day I made them. I loved this project more than any other one I have done.