DIY Concrete Lamp - Led String Light

$35

I used these lights for an end table. What's nice about these lights is that all the electronics are hidden. It's a simple project that requires very little tools and can enhance any space. For more awesome DIY be sure to check out my youtube channel www.youtube.com/c/DIYCreators
Here is a step by step video to make this lamp.
It's a simple project that requires very little tools and can enhance any space.
I cut the PVC first to create a straight edge. Then I set my stop block to make a 5 inch cut on the miter saw. You can make as many as you'd like, but I made two. Since the piece of pvc was outside collecting dirt, I gave them a quick wash down so no dirt transfer to the form. Since the piece of pvc was outside collecting dirt, I gave them a quick wash down so no dirt transfer to the form.
The form needs to be hollow on the inside to hold the LED controller. You can use what ever you come up with. I used two water bottles as a place holder.
Keep in mind the water needs to me centered in the form. I made the water bottles 1.5 in below the rim of the PVC.
The top of the form need to be small enough at the top for the vase to cover. I used a (1 inch) foam weather strip to prevent the cement from filling this area.
To cover the bottom of the PVC I used plastic wrap . Then used masking tape to hold it in place.
Then I took a bucket, added concrete then water. I mixed the concrete with a small shovel.
I placed the bottle in the center then poured the cement mix. I added a small amount then used a mallet or a hammer to tap the outside of the PVC.
This helped the cement fall to the bottom. When I was tapping the PVC I noticed the bottle was attempting to rise to the top, so I kept an eye on the bottle.
Then I used the sander. During the vibrating process I used a nail to hold the bottle down.
I let the form sit for a few days to cure. The bottom was completely covered with concrete. Not a big deal I took a hammer and broke the thin layer. Now I normally use some kind of oil to help with the release process. However I forgot to add oil. To remove the PVC I made two cuts 2 to 3 inch apart. I made sure to not go all the way through the PVC while using a hack saw. Try not damage the form. Then I pulled and cut the section out. The PVC released easily.
I didn't sand the body of the form. It was very smooth. The top however required some work because the vase didn't fit. This was something I knew I would have to address before I started. To sand the I used a 60 grit sand paper. Then I drilled out the top with a masonry bit . The bit pressed down on the plastic bottles so I was forced to remove it. My intention was to keep it in the form. Not a big deal though. Next I notched out a channel for the power wire to pass through.
Then I passed the string lights through the hole. I connected the light to the controller and then the transformer to the control. Then I placed it inside the concrete. I applied hot glue to the channel then placed the wire in the channel. Add a little more glue on top. I didn't show it, but I also added hot glue to hold the IR in place.
I installed the wire in the vase and placed the vase on the concrete base. Plugged it in and was ready to go!

For more cool projects visit my website www.diycreators.com

Follow me here:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for weekly videos:   https://goo.gl/aWzL1T
Follow me on Instagram for daily post: instagram.com/morediycreators

12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom

• Carole Rice
    Carole Rice

Do we need a special kind of brand of concrete. Are all concrete mixes the same? Merci
    • Jeff Weaver
      Jeff Weaver

You should be able to use a CEMENT mix as well for a smoother look (if you don't like the look of concrete with the stones/pebbles in it)

• Ashley
    Ashley

This is awesome!! Is there anyway you could paint the cement bottoms?

• Janice
      Janice

You can add color to the mix before forming, if you want color throughout the base.

• Melanie Sturm
    Melanie Sturm

Could you use a 2lt plastic bottle instead of PVC?

• Luna
      Luna

My thought exactly! Much easier to remove and to acquire if you don't happen to already have some leftover pvc pipe.

• Tray
    Tray

I love the idea and the finished project. You are very talented. I would never have thought of anything like that!

• Stanleylwright
    Stanleylwright

I don't have a question, but I wanted to tell you that was an O.M.G. moment that I think I can do myself! Thank-You for the share!