Glen
Glen
  • West Palm Beach, FL

DIY Concrete Lamp - Led String Light

$35

I used these lights for an end table. What's nice about these lights is that all the electronics are hidden. It's a simple project that requires very little tools and can enhance any space. For more awesome DIY be sure to check out my youtube channel www.youtube.com/c/DIYCreators
Here is a step by step video to make this lamp.
diy concrete lamp led string light, concrete masonry, lighting
It's a simple project that requires very little tools and can enhance any space.
I cut the PVC first to create a straight edge. Then I set my stop block to make a 5 inch cut on the miter saw. You can make as many as you'd like, but I made two. Since the piece of pvc was outside collecting dirt, I gave them a quick wash down so no dirt transfer to the form. Since the piece of pvc was outside collecting dirt, I gave them a quick wash down so no dirt transfer to the form.
The form needs to be hollow on the inside to hold the LED controller. You can use what ever you come up with. I used two water bottles as a place holder.
Keep in mind the water needs to me centered in the form. I made the water bottles 1.5 in below the rim of the PVC.
The top of the form need to be small enough at the top for the vase to cover. I used a (1 inch) foam weather strip to prevent the cement from filling this area.
To cover the bottom of the PVC I used plastic wrap . Then used masking tape to hold it in place.
Then I took a bucket, added concrete then water. I mixed the concrete with a small shovel.
I placed the bottle in the center then poured the cement mix. I added a small amount then used a mallet or a hammer to tap the outside of the PVC.
This helped the cement fall to the bottom. When I was tapping the PVC I noticed the bottle was attempting to rise to the top, so I kept an eye on the bottle.
Then I used the sander. During the vibrating process I used a nail to hold the bottle down.
I let the form sit for a few days to cure. The bottom was completely covered with concrete. Not a big deal I took a hammer and broke the thin layer. Now I normally use some kind of oil to help with the release process. However I forgot to add oil. To remove the PVC I made two cuts 2 to 3 inch apart. I made sure to not go all the way through the PVC while using a hack saw. Try not damage the form. Then I pulled and cut the section out. The PVC released easily.
I didn't sand the body of the form. It was very smooth. The top however required some work because the vase didn't fit. This was something I knew I would have to address before I started. To sand the I used a 60 grit sand paper. Then I drilled out the top with a masonry bit . The bit pressed down on the plastic bottles so I was forced to remove it. My intention was to keep it in the form. Not a big deal though. Next I notched out a channel for the power wire to pass through.
Then I passed the string lights through the hole. I connected the light to the controller and then the transformer to the control. Then I placed it inside the concrete. I applied hot glue to the channel then placed the wire in the channel. Add a little more glue on top. I didn't show it, but I also added hot glue to hold the IR in place.
I installed the wire in the vase and placed the vase on the concrete base. Plugged it in and was ready to go!

For more cool projects visit my website www.diycreators.com

Follow me here:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for weekly videos:   https://goo.gl/aWzL1T
Follow me on Instagram for daily post: instagram.com/morediycreators
Glen

• Adw581139

Really nice and creative Glen! Thanks for the video. Now how much for two lamps? No seriously!

• Glen

Thank you, My pleasure. I'm going to make plans to sell them in the new year. If your interested I could get you a two. I just have to do some research to find a fair value.

• Adw581139

Well i'll be glad to accept 2 as a Christmas gift! And help you promote! 😜 Really, I would like two of them, lemme know.

• Mcs7977291

great looking. do you have any for sale?

• GBK

Is there any way you could do a full tutorial on mortar and concrete? I am very timid about it, and I don't know what all the different types of bags are for. I'd be relectant to buy a bag, for fear it would be the wrong one. Just thought I'd ask, because this video was so well done, and encourages me to try it. Thanks!

• Glen

Sure I could totally do one. Its on my to do list now.

• GBK

Oh, that's wonderful! Thank you so much, I'll be waiting for that. I'm very enthusiastic to learn about it, so many projects are possible! :-) This will be fun. Thanks Glen!

• Melissa V

Yay, me too!

• Dee

great work, video was very helpful, I am curious, how much did this cost?

• M. M..

If you HAD oiled the pvc pipe for easy release, it would have stained the concrete. It's a good look but not anything like your matte finished ones. There are mold release sprays available, or one can use oil, petroleum jelly, etc. if you don't mind the oiled cement look.Cornstarch works well, too in some molds. Then you can skip the step of sawing through the pvc. I think next time, for clarity's sake, you can edit out your bad steps and re-shoot photos of the right thing to do. Save the pvc molds intact for more lanterns! Very cool project!

• Anita shull

He WAS cool in my mind🎄🎄🎄

• Glen

Thank you. You make some good points take them into consideration for future projects.

• Melissa V

To M.M.. Hey sounds like you have all of the right answers to making this project-Can't wait for your post on how great your projects turned out!!!

• Mindy

I personally like it when people leave in their mistakes. Helps me to avoid those, when I think I might have a shortcut, but then I get to see how it might not work. Thank you. Beautiful project.

• Gwen Nicholson

Great idea..thanks for the details.. I just cant believe someone would be so rude and obsessive as to suggest you edit the mistakes (ways of learning and improving) out of a post...i would put creativity and invention above perfection any day....

• Terri

This is such a cool project and I appreciate when someone shows their "errors" it is a learning tool in my eyes.

• Jewell Martin

Please continue posting as many pics as you can, @Glen. I learn from my mistakes, and from others', too. Best wishes 😇

• Cfr2230743

Do you live in Missouri? I need help with concrete/cement projects! 😬 Hahaha!

• Glen

Lol no I live in Florida. What kind of help do you need?

• GBK

I saw him first, Cfriender, lolol, get in line, haha! That's ok, he's nowhere near me either!

• Doris sharpe

Glen that was a great project. I'm going to pass it around. Wished you were in my area too.😍NY

• Eli15279596

how do you have this stuff lying around the house, could you use anything ese?

• Lindalee_47303

I'm a woman who rarely makes things like this. I bet if I looked in the garage and shed I could come up with the stuff to make these.

• Melissa V

Pretty sure he had a plan

• Bonnie

Just like shopping at Michaels or a Home goods store for a project, except he shopped for his materials at a hardware store.

• Barbdella

What was the cost if these?

• Shawna Bailey

I's guess about 8 dollars each for the supplies

• Lr428303391

Awesome work. I like the concept of what you did and it's different. Great job sir. Great job.

• Lynne Webb

Just adorable! Think, think is there any way you could reconfigure these to use solar lights? I have them in every potted plant and it lights up my world til dawn. I am following someone's instructions to use clear nail polish to keep any rain from seeping in.

• Ard7370318

These are so cute! I'd like to ask where did you find your glass tops or are they plastic and what size are they? Would love to make some of these for outdoor use if I can figure out how to make them weatherproof yet still be able to get in to change the batteries when needed! You could even paint your bases to match your décor if you wanted to! Love them! Thanks for sharing!

• Carole Rice

Do we need a special kind of brand of concrete. Are all concrete mixes the same? Merci

• Elvira Moran

I believe Pre-Mix is what he used.

• Jeff Weaver

You should be able to use a CEMENT mix as well for a smoother look (if you don't like the look of concrete with the stones/pebbles in it)

• Ashley

This is awesome!! Is there anyway you could paint the cement bottoms?

• Jsm6886666

Paint them, cover with fabric or wide ribbon, cover with rhinestones or other "jewels", ideas are endless.

• Susan Arlitt

don't paint them, concrete is organically beautiful. Painting it would be like painting rocks.