Deb S
Deb S
  • Saint Paul, MN

(Yet Another) Budget Kitchen Renovation

$400
6 Weeks

This was my first attempt at a DIY budget kitchen renovation. It all started with replacing the kitchen faucet, then wanting to replace the cabinet hardware to match it. It grew into a full-blown renovation before I knew it.
It's not a big kitchen - 19 doors, 4 drawers. I went with a two-tone gray color design. Preparation was light sanding and a deglosser "Liquid Sandpaper", and one coat of primer KILZ
Upper cabinets Cabot wood stain "Seacoast Gray", Varathane Satin polyurethane.
Kitchen built in 1987, oak cabinets, antique brass hardware.
Started with the lower cabinets.  Cabot wood stain "Foothill", Varathane Satin polyurethane.
Started with the lower cabinets. Cabot wood stain "Foothill", Varathane Satin polyurethane.
Wallpaper backsplash:  KE29951 from AmericanBlinds.com
Wallpaper backsplash: KE29951 from AmericanBlinds.com
Deb S

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

Beautiful job! I went to your blog to see how you applied the wallpaper ( great choice)as a backsplash to your substrate. I didn't see how you did it. I have a few questions as I love this idea very much. If you would kindly advise, I'd appreciate your time, please and thank you in advance. 1) Did you use good old fashioned wall paper?? Is there anything special about it? 2) what was the original substrate you applied the paper over? Mine is ugly laminate and is out of place in this olddddd (1880s old) house. It's like the white stuff used in mobile homes I think. 2) other than cleaning, did you and how did you prep your substrate? 3) what adhesive did you use to apply paper? 4) most importantly!!! What did you seal it with? Obviously as a backsplash it will get dirty, greasy and wet lol. I'm assuming some sort of polyurethane that can protect and be cleaned. I've seen people use mod podge but I am heavy handed with disinfectant cleansers and know that would not work for me. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated and Thanks again!

• Deb S

Thanks, Jess. This project was finished 3 years ago, so good to see folks still like it. To answer your questions: 1) The wallpaper is ordinary pre-pasted vinyl-coated wallpaper. The specific style and manufacturer is noted in the photo caption above. 2) & 2) The "substrate" was ordinary painted drywall with no special prep. 3) No special adhesive used, wallpaper is pre-pasted. 4) The wallpaper was spray coated/sealed with Varathane Satin polyurethane.

• Sandra Cheek

Is the wallpaper waterproof?
    • Deb S

No. The wallpaper is vinyl coated so it's water resistant. I sprayed the wallpaper with clear satin finish polyurethane spray to make it more water resistant. Only solid vinyl wallpaper is waterproof, that would be Con-Tact paper which is very difficult to apply to walls, difficult to remove, and comes in only limited colors/designs.