How to Easily Make a Burlap Poinsettia

Burlap, burlap, and more burlap! It’s not enough that I made my own no-sew burlap curtains, but now I’ve started decking my Christmas tree in the rough and rustic fabric. I’m super excited about my latest creation because it is so easy! I combined some tips I found on the internet with a little creativity to come up with the easiest tutorial on how to make a burlap poinsettia.
The whole project takes about an hour of active time, but you can break that down into three short steps done over 2-3 days. Tackling this project in shorter steps makes it a perfect project to squeeze in while you are doing other things.
Start by making a flower petal pattern out of paper. Freehand draw your patterns to the size and shape of your liking. Using a pattern allows you to be consistent in the size and shape. I made two sizes for my burlap poinsettia.
Next, using the pattern, cut out your burlap. I was a little doubtful about the rotary cutter’s ability to cut through thick burlap, but it was amazing! It did so well that I ended up folding the burlap so that I was cutting through four layers at a time. I also cut my petals out as close to each other as possible so that I wasn’t wasting a lot of fabric.
You might be wondering right about now how to make a burlap poinsettia keep its shape. Well, my friend, that would be with Mod Podge.
Start out by covering your work space to avoid getting the glue everywhere. Wax paper works really well. Applying Mod Podge will help stiffen the fabric, and it also helps to cut down on fraying.
Paint it on using a small brush.
After the petals have completely dried, they are easy to shape. Starting with the larger petals, take one and fold the edges over to form a taco shape {that’s a very technical term}.
Apply the hot glue to the edge of one side starting at the tip of your petal and going up about 1/3 of the way along the edge.
Before the glue dries, fold a second petal and stick it to your first petal so that the bottom points are touching. Let it dry completely before gluing the next petal. Keep repeating this step for each large petal. The petals will start to fan out.
Next, glue the first petal to the last the same way you have glued the others. After the glue is dry, shape your flower as needed. If it starts to get a cone shape from the petals being glued together, simply push it down in the middle to get it a little flatter.
Repeat these steps for the smaller petals.
Glue the smaller circle to the top of the larger circle.
Add a little shimmer by gluing some artificial berries to the center.
Glue a clothes pin to the back of your poinsettia for an easy way to hang your burlap flower.
And that’s how to make a burlap poinsettia! Use them as ornaments, hang them on a wreath or stocking, or use them as a homemade touch to decorate your Christmas gifts.
For additional pictures, see the full post at www.busybliss.com/how-to-make-a-burlap-poinsettia/

• Burlap
  • Rotary cutter or scissors
  • Mod Podge

14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Amie

• Lyndia McCorkle Bailey
    Lyndia McCorkle Bailey

Directions on howto make a button wreth

• Annalee Robertson
    Annalee Robertson

Can you use modge podge on regular cotton fabric to have the same effect as the burlap material?

• Jewellmartin
      Jewellmartin

Another hint—use a 4-6” piece of florist wire down through the center of each petal. Just glue it in and you will have made bendable petals. You can paint over the wire with the same color as the burlap. Jewell

• Cindy Leonard
    Cindy Leonard

When I cut my burlap it comes apart

• Nancy
      Nancy

Might possibly be able to stiffen it with your mod podge before cutting? Try it on a small piece first. Let me know how it goes!