File Cabinet Turned Mud Room Bench

I’m beyond excited to share this before and after with you. Ever since I first laid eyes on this file cabinet, I wanted to turn it into a hall tree bench. One of our customers, Laurie, stopped by to buy a different piece and asked me what plans I had for the file cabinet. Once I told her, she said that she needed something exactly like that!! YAY! I was sooo excited to have an excuse to get started.
Here it was before!!
file cabinet turned mud room bench, foyer, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, outdoor furniture
We flipped it on it’s side and boxed in the drawers and side first. The hardest part with this project was finding doors that would be the right width for the back. One was too skinny, two were too wide. So we had to try to find three matching old solid wood doors. That’s no easy task. usually you can find two matching, but three… not so much. Well, the third and middle door doesn’t exactly match but we trimmed it up so you wouldn’t even be able to tell.
Up next, we painted everything using Benjamin Moore’s Simply Irresistible 205. Then I slightly distressed it and sealed it with a protective clear coat. We added a wood shelf and the corner brackets.
I CAN NOT WAIT to show you the after pictures. I want one of these myself!!

To see more: http://funcycled.com/projects/file-cabinet-turned-mud-room-bench-tuesdays-treasures/

• Chelsea Carter

Could you do this with a metal one? Would it support the weight of someone sitting on it?