Wire Hexagon Shaped Shelf

Modern hexagon shaped wire shelf. Cute for decorating any wall in the home. Great for holding plants, towels, cute decorations and more. Easy for anyone to try! This can be tried in all sorts of shapes and colors.
What you need: Hard wire cloth. This can be found in the fencing section at any hardware store. I got a big roll for 15$ I think.
You will also need wire cutters, I would suggest investing in nice ones, the pair in the photo above are cheap crap and gave me blisters by the time I was done with this project.
Not pictured, you will need Zip ties! I found a nicely sized bag of clear skinny zip ties at the dollar tree.
You will want tape, just for marking what you need to cut.
If I had thought this out at the time I would have printed out a template of sorts to cut around, but when I did it I just used my visual skills and attempted the hexagon and it seemed to turn out after a headache and a few google searches on how to make a hexagon.

To help describe what I did I made a diagram of what I cut out on the cloth.
First I cut out that long rectangle. This will be the section that wraps around the hexagon making it 3D. Choose the width of this piece based off of how much you want to fit on your shelf. Mine was about 5 inches wide. Choose the length based off of how big you want the hexagon to be. Divide the length into 6 equal sections, this will be each side of the hexagon.

I cut out the back of the hexagon after I had cut out the rectangle and bent it into the hexagonal shape.
Counted 6 sections of 15 grid spaces and marked them off.
The cutting process was awful.
I bent the piece into the six sections. I found that using a piece of wood helped.
This is the tough part. This is where a template would have been nice. I took the now hexagon shaped piece and laid it on top of the wire and started zip tying it down to the wire. after I made sure everything was lined up correctly I started cutting away.
Time to cut the ties and finish it up.
I am so happy how it turned out, It isn't perfect, but I am so excited with how versatile it is.
Loving all of the gray. Eventually it will get moved/repurposed around when I get bored with it and I am sure spray paint will be involved.
I have been moving it around and trying new things with it since I made it, I think the bathroom will be its home for now.

• Leah

LOOKS GOOD. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT. HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF WEAVING RIBBON, YARN, ETC., AROUND IT? HOW ABOUT A PLANT THAT VINES IN A PLACE THAT GETS LIGHT?

• Nancy Robinson

Adorable and so versatile. How did you hook it to wall?

• Linda

I don’t have any wall space. I have above the door. (I don’t have storage for towels).any suggestions?

• Stacy VanCise

I used this wire to make rabbit cages growing up. A few things to know, it will cut with tin snips, they make these little metal clamps that lock tight and work great when making ridged shapes and it paints fairly well. Easiest place to get the wire and clamps (in the US at least) is a farm supply store.

• Debbie

OMG I love this .