Family Food Garden
Family Food Garden
  • Canada

3 Sisters Guild (growing Corn, Squash & Beans Together).

The 3 sister guild is a growing method adapted from the Native Americans that is seen frequently within the permaculture realm. It contains corn, winter (non-bush type) squash and pole beans. The pole beans climb up the corn stalks, anchoring the corn into the ground and aid in restoring nitrogen. Allowing the beans to climb the corn reduces the need to build a trellis. The trailing squash grows around the corn stalks, covering the soil which can help smother some of the weeds and making a good use of space. The spiny squash vines have the added benefit of keeping the corn safer from racoons.
Read the full review with lots of pictures & diagrams here: http://littlemountainhaven.blogspot.ca/2013/11/3-sisters-guild-review-in-northern.html
3 sisters guild growing corn squash beans together, gardening, go green, homesteading

Family Food Garden

• Elisa

Does it HAVE to be Pole Beans? I mean I understand the concept of not needing a trellis due to the beans using the corn stalk. I don't know if there is difference but I grew 3 bush beans next to 4 Strawberry Corn (for popcorn) and everything seems to be coming along nicely.

• Liz Prisk-Dulka

Does the beans add to much weight?

• Nancy Turner

I have done this before but had corn and cucumbers together and had no problem with either or problem harvesting the fruits of my labors. I didn't have room for either in my garden, so I ran the corn along the fence line and planted the cucumbers amongst them.