Laundry Room Backsplash From Reclaimed Pallets

119K Views
The main motivation behind this project was to hide the unsightly washer hose and electric cords in my laundry room. I wanted to do something very inexpensive. I also want to have quick access to get hose just in case an issue arise. A removable backslash seems to be my solution. I collected a few pallets and let my imagine run wild.
Be sure to watch the video to get a more in dept detail. If you enjoy this project be sure to checkout my YouTube channel " DIY Creators"
Time: 6 HoursCost: $50Difficulty: Medium
Be sure to watch the video to get a more in depth detail. If you enjoy this project be sure to check out my YouTube channel "DIY Creators"
  • backsplash from reclaimed pallets, kitchen backsplash, kitchen design, pallet
You can pretty much find pallets anywhere there is business. For this project I use various sizes of pallets, mainly three different sides. Since I planed the pallets in my thickness plane I separated the pallets by size.If you’re not sure what a thickness planer do. The thickness planer removes a layer from one side of your lumber.
You can totally use a hand sander for this process. It’s just time consuming.
Since there is not straight side on the pallets. I passed the wood through the table saw to create a straight side .Now that I have at least one straight side I can began to rip the strips. I set the table saw fence 1.5 inches from the blade and began the ripping process. I did this till all was ripped to size.
I put stop block on the miter saw, so every cut will identical at 9 inches. I gave an additional sanding on the ends to remote the wood tear outs.
Since my backslash is removable. I used 1/2 inch plywood. If you wanted to install this permanently 1/4 ply will be fine. In my case I added an additional piece to one side to push the back support off the wall. This will clear the washer hose.
Of course you can use any method of attaching you feel is necessary. I wanted a stack stone look; I have three different sizes as a starting point. First is 9 inch, second 6 is inch, third is 3 inch. Then repeat the same method every third row.
To keep this sweet a simple I used hot glue to attach the pallets. It was a quick and easy solution and it's a strong bond.
When I got to the end, I mitered the corner to give a clean wrapped look. As shown
I gave a quick sand to remove the sharp corners. I use Danish oil for the backsplash. Just follow the instruction on the container. I applied with a rag.Danish oil unlike stain sits in the wood. I only applied one coat but apply as many as you like to darken.
This backsplash is removable. So I make a simple wood bracket for one side to lock the back splash in place. On the other side I used the French cleat method to attach.
The end results.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 8, 2018 10:41 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Glen