Laundry Room Backsplash From Reclaimed Pallets

$50

The main motivation behind this project was to hide the unsightly washer hose and electric cords in my laundry room. I wanted to do something very inexpensive. I also want to have quick access to get hose just in case an issue arise. A removable backslash seems to be my solution. I collected a few pallets and let my imagine run wild.
Be sure to watch the video to get a more in dept detail. If you enjoy this project be sure to checkout my YouTube channel " DIY Creators"
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Be sure to watch the video to get a more in depth detail. If you enjoy this project be sure to check out my YouTube channel "DIY Creators"
You can pretty much find pallets anywhere there is business. For this project I use various sizes of pallets, mainly three different sides. Since I planed the pallets in my thickness plane I separated the pallets by size.If you’re not sure what a thickness planer do. The thickness planer removes a layer from one side of your lumber.
You can totally use a hand sander for this process. It’s just time consuming.
Since there is not straight side on the pallets. I passed the wood through the table saw to create a straight side .Now that I have at least one straight side I can began to rip the strips. I set the table saw fence 1.5 inches from the blade and began the ripping process. I did this till all was ripped to size.
I put stop block on the miter saw, so every cut will identical at 9 inches. I gave an additional sanding on the ends to remote the wood tear outs.
Since my backslash is removable. I used 1/2 inch plywood. If you wanted to install this permanently 1/4 ply will be fine. In my case I added an additional piece to one side to push the back support off the wall. This will clear the washer hose.
Of course you can use any method of attaching you feel is necessary. I wanted a stack stone look; I have three different sizes as a starting point. First is 9 inch, second 6 is inch, third is 3 inch. Then repeat the same method every third row.
To keep this sweet a simple I used hot glue to attach the pallets. It was a quick and easy solution and it's a strong bond.
When I got to the end, I mitered the corner to give a clean wrapped look. As shown
I gave a quick sand to remove the sharp corners. I use Danish oil for the backsplash. Just follow the instruction on the container. I applied with a rag.Danish oil unlike stain sits in the wood. I only applied one coat but apply as many as you like to darken.
This backsplash is removable. So I make a simple wood bracket for one side to lock the back splash in place. On the other side I used the French cleat method to attach.
The end results.

13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs

• Betty Downing

I love the way you did this , it is beautiful. Also, where did you get those cabinet handles? I may have to have my cabinets remodeled so I can use something like those.

• Merrily Clifford

Absolutely fab idea! Question: My hot water heater is behind my BR closet wall, accessed thru a big rectangular hole in the drywall that has framing around it. There is a section of drywall that should fit into and cover the hole by lifting it in then dropping it down into place. Would a French cleat work on this type of panel covering? You seem to be an amazing carpenter, so hope you know what I’m trying to describe in words.

• CJ

Very nice work, good job.