Air-dry Clay Ornaments

A simple project you can do with kids that could be repurposed all year round!
First off: protect your work surface! Clay always makes a mess. I laid down a piece of wax paper but I later changed it with a plastic sheet I have underneath my computer to protect my desk from scratches. That's the easiest thing to clean I could find in my house and it was a lot more practical than the ever-slipping oven paper.
Now you can begin to work your clay, adding water to make it softer.
Now you can begin to work on your clay, adding water to make it soft and easier to work with.
Once the clay is soft you can flat it down with a clay rolling pin. I didn't have one so I made my own: I wrapped a cilindrical object in oven paper. Be careful to wrap the oven paper tight or it will make creases that will transfer on the clay.
Once you have your clay flattened evenly you can stamp whatever object you chose. Gently press it with your fingers or lightly roll the pin over it. I cut some branches from the trees in my garden, you can use any type of leaf, a doily, your kid's hands, let your imagination run free!
You can now use the cookie cutter to cut the ornaments. To make your life easier later I suggest you press down firmly to cut all the way into the clay, then lightly wiggle your cookie cutter while keeping it down so that the clay around the ornament will come off easily later.
Now use the craft knife to lift the ornaments without ruining them and use the pointy object (in my case a small paint brush) to make the holes for the string.
Let the ornaments dry for a couple of days and once dry add the strings to hang them where you want! I made mine christmas-y but you can easily make this project for any season :)
Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed these You can find this and other diy projects on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMNhHOfPG4LmsvuqYZneZ9w

• Air-dry clay
  • Clay rolling pin (or a diy alternative like mine)
  • Bowl of water

15 Memorial Day Crafts
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas