How To Make Chalky Finish Paint With Baking Soda

$10

Chalky finished paint gives your surface an aged, matte look that is easily distressed. For me, this is one of my favorite types of paint that matches my home decor. However, chalk paint can get super pricy. I've got the perfect 3 ingredient hack for turning any house paint into chalk paint in 5 minutes!

Love this project? You can buy your own by clicking the link below. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Get the materials for this project here:

•    (Amazon, this is optional)

First thing first, you'll need baking soda. This recipe will make a little over 1 cup of paint. For a quart of paint, quadruple the amount, but remember that it dries out quickly.

Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with 1 cup of latex paint. I used a sample size of pant from Home Depot for my desired color but if you have extra paint left over from painting a room or project you can use that!

The last ingredient is 3 tbs of cold water.

Mix your ingredient until they create a thin, non-grainy texture. This takes a bit of time to dissolve all the baking soda.

And that's all it takes! This one cup of paint was more than enough to paint my end table and coffee table. After I was done I stored it in a tightly sealed mason jar. Let me know what you'll be painting with this chalk paint hack!

Here is the finished product!

12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018

• Doreen Lassiter Welsted
    Doreen Lassiter Welsted

Can this be done with any color paint? Or just white?

• Kristine
    Kristine

Can you do the drippy effect with this?

• Carol August - Daykin
    Carol August - Daykin

I had already bought a paint and didn't like its sheen. To not waste this paint I thought I would try this method out. The flatness of the paint is exactly what I was looking for. It leaves behind a bumpy texture though. Besides sanding this is there another way to avoid this? If not I'll try the plaster of paris way next