Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Kara S.
Kara S.
  • Hometalk Team
  • Jersey City, NJ

How To Make Chalky Finish Paint With Baking Soda

$10

Chalky finished paint gives your surface an aged, matte look that is easily distressed. For me, this is one of my favorite types of paint that matches my home decor. However, chalk paint can get super pricy. I've got the perfect 3 ingredient hack for turning any house paint into chalk paint in 5 minutes!

Love this project? You can buy your own by clicking the link below. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

how to make chalk paint with baking soda, chalk paint, cleaning tips, how to, painting

Get the materials for this project here:

•    (Amazon, this is optional)

First thing first, you'll need baking soda. This recipe will make a little over 1 cup of paint. For a quart of paint, quadruple the amount, but remember that it dries out quickly.

Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with 1 cup of latex paint. I used a sample size of pant from Home Depot for my desired color but if you have extra paint left over from painting a room or project you can use that!

The last ingredient is 3 tbs of cold water.

Mix your ingredient until they create a thin, non-grainy texture. This takes a bit of time to dissolve all the baking soda.

And that's all it takes! This one cup of paint was more than enough to paint my end table and coffee table. After I was done I stored it in a tightly sealed mason jar. Let me know what you'll be painting with this chalk paint hack!

Here is the finished product!

• Michael Wallace

Is there any chance of the paint coming off since there was dish soap used with it? If so would doing a clear coat after it dries help or possibly smudge the paint?

• Tom Stuart

There is no dish soap used in this. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3.

Thoroughly clean the wood you are painting. The main cause of peeling paint is lack of preparation.

Any chalk paint produces a matte finish, that’s why it is used, to give that specific look. Using it will give it an aged look. If you want to protect it make a test on a small piece of plywood. Paint it with the chalk paint, let dry overnight, then mask half of it with newspaper, and spray half of it with the matte finish clear coat. Choose the one you like.

• Jea12839731

I want to paint a chair, ( I know, furniture who thought) and I mean the material on it. They all say to use chalk paint. Will this work on cloth?

• Lizzy L

I have seen people use watered down chalk paint for that. I would google it.

• Susan Zesati

Can it be used on a wall for kids to draw on?

• Lizzy L

No. You want chalkboard paint for that, not chalk paint. Big difference.