Error loading player:
No playable sources found

How To Make Chalky Finish Paint With Baking Soda

$10

Chalky finished paint gives your surface an aged, matte look that is easily distressed. For me, this is one of my favorite types of paint that matches my home decor. However, chalk paint can get super pricy. I've got the perfect 3 ingredient hack for turning any house paint into chalk paint in 5 minutes!

Love this project? You can buy your own by clicking the link below. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

how to make chalk paint with baking soda, chalk paint, cleaning tips, how to, painting

Get the materials for this project here:

•    (Amazon, this is optional)

First thing first, you'll need baking soda. This recipe will make a little over 1 cup of paint. For a quart of paint, quadruple the amount, but remember that it dries out quickly.

Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with 1 cup of latex paint. I used a sample size of pant from Home Depot for my desired color but if you have extra paint left over from painting a room or project you can use that!

The last ingredient is 3 tbs of cold water.

Mix your ingredient until they create a thin, non-grainy texture. This takes a bit of time to dissolve all the baking soda.

And that's all it takes! This one cup of paint was more than enough to paint my end table and coffee table. After I was done I stored it in a tightly sealed mason jar. Let me know what you'll be painting with this chalk paint hack!

Here is the finished product!

• Susan Grekso

Could this be done on kitchen cabinets?

• Kimberly Birch

You certainly can use chalk paint on cabinets. All sorts of chalk painting groups on Facebook. A lot of people that have businesses doing everything from signs, to furniture, to cabinets. You haveve to seal them with a polycrylic, but it can be done.

• Karrie Jo Simpson

Did you wipe it down afterwards?

• Mary

Will this home made Milk Paint chip to give the Chippy Finish on your

project?

Mary

• JoAnn Montez

Love it! Im all on it!

Been waiting for my budget to allow me to start on our kitchen cabinets & we have a few cans of left over house paints .

Ty

• Diana

Very soon. I am moving into a Farmhouse that I want to upgrade the cabinets without removing them. This will be part of the process.