Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Kara S.
Kara S.
  • Hometalk Team
  • Jersey City, NJ

How To Make Chalky Finish Paint With Baking Soda

$10

Chalky finished paint gives your surface an aged, matte look that is easily distressed. For me, this is one of my favorite types of paint that matches my home decor. However, chalk paint can get super pricy. I've got the perfect 3 ingredient hack for turning any house paint into chalk paint in 5 minutes!

Love this project? You can buy your own by clicking the link below. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
how to make chalk paint with baking soda, chalk paint, cleaning tips, how to, painting

Get the materials for this project here:

First thing first, you'll need baking soda. This recipe will make a little over 1 cup of paint. For a quart of paint, quadruple the amount, but remember that it dries out quickly.
Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with 1 cup of latex paint. I used a sample size of pant from Home Depot for my desired color but if you have extra paint left over from painting a room or project you can use that!

The last ingredient is 3 tbs of cold water.
Mix your ingredient until they create a thin, non-grainy texture. This takes a bit of time to dissolve all the baking soda.

And that's all it takes! This one cup of paint was more than enough to paint my end table and coffee table. After I was done I stored it in a tightly sealed mason jar. Let me know what you'll be painting with this chalk paint hack!

Here is the finished product!

• Lisa House

I am going to try this! Can I dissolve the baking soda in the water and then mix?

• Mary

yes you can. That's how I do it, but I don't use baking soda..

• Bro5008081

What do you use instead of baking soda?

• Lyn1476416

I use plaster of paris. Works great.

• Brenda L Hatfield

Not sure you can dissolve 1/2 cup of baking soda with just 3 TB spoons of water

• Charlene ~

I used plaster of Paris too, with very cold water, so it dissolves. Like thicking graveyard! Works beautiful on EVERYTHING!

• What did you seal table with?

• Pal7723405

I'd like to see the finished project. If it is in one of these pictures, did you sand it? How did you get the nail heads to show?

• Dff11150295

Will this work with dark colored paint? I'm thinking of very dark red or black.

• Brenda L Hatfield

No reason why it wouldn't work. I used a beautiful blue and it was perfect. I also used the plaster of Paris instead of baking soda, I'm definitely going to try the baking soda, much cheaper.

• Kat Davis-Moran

I use plaster of Paris too, this would a great addition to try

• Kellie Bowen

One of the best ways to make chalk paint is with unsanded grout. You can buy sample paint jars cheap and add it to the jar.

• Love the idea because it's cost effective. Can you post a pic of the finished product? That would be very helpful. I watched your video but it's the same as the individual pictures. Thank you!

• Linda Saunders Davis

Does the chalk paint feel rough after its dried? If so what do you do about it?

• Ste6886691

Wax it.

• Linda Saunders Davis

Ok, I painted a bathroom vanity and got a very rough finish. I lightly sanded it but still had a very rough finish. I was afraid to sand too much because I didn't want the bare spots on this piece. I waxed it.....still kinda rough......is this what it's suppose to look and feel like?

• Ksh8214373

Is this for white paint only?

• Mary Henslee Dreadin

What is the reason for this. How does it change the paint and what are the benefits

• Sherrie MacDonald

You can cover anything with this paint and you don't have to prime the piece first. It has a hard finish you can just wax and thats all you need.

• Kara S.

Chalk paint gives your surface an aged, matte look that is easily distressed.

• Mike Medcalf

can I use any colour

• Sherrie MacDonald

Yes. I used several colors from rooms I had painted.

• Kara S.

Yes! That't the magic of it. As long as you mix the baking soda until it's completely dissolved :)

• Dodie Hamilton

When you say, "chalk paint," does it mean it looks chalky, or it can be used as a chalk board?

• Chrissie French

What is latex paint? I am in England it may be labelled differently here.

• You can wash it. Good for a kids room. It is not oil based so the clean up is easier. Most home owners use latex cuz it's easier to use. It is water based.

• Ara3126916

It has more of an oily feel, easy to clean.

• Deb

All water based paints today are referred to as "latex", even though there is absolutely no latex rubber in the formula. Latex has become a generic label. The stain, water resistance and covering capabilities are achieved by using acrylic resins or vinyl .

• Kara S.

Latex paint is the paint you buy at Home Depot or Lowes or any home improvement store that you would use to paint your home's walls :)

• Nancy Henn

Latex paint is a water base not an oil base. It can be cleaned up with water . Oil base paint must be cleaned up with paint thinner or turpentine.

• Brenda Bickerstaff

Latex is water based. Oil paint has oil not water harder to clean up as using turpentine is neasecary

• Deb12632301

Water based paint.

• Karen Smith Herman

Is it durable? Can it be wiped clean if it gets dirty?

• Kara S.

Yes! Just treat it like regular paint when it comes to cleaning. It's just a bit more textured.

• Do you need to sand items before painting with this chalk paint?

• Brenda Bickerstaff

What steps to prepare the surface do you recommend?

• Peg

Does it have to be flat paint or can I use semi gloss

• J

I have found that the best paint to use when making any recipe of chalk paint is satin paint. Flat is too flat and semi-gloss has to much latex, it's too thick and also doesn't flow as smoothly as satin. (Have not used this recipe at all, so it could be different, but doubtful.)

• Roc16815824

Do you know if this receipe can be used to paint or stain brick? If you have tackled this project before, would you attach a picture?

• Mad15384912

How do you get the distressed look?

• Michelle

Rough up the areas that you want distressed by rubbing with sand paper until you get the look you want...

• Sandra Hickman

Just use some fine grit sandpaper and buff sand gently in the areas you want distressed, usually edges, corners and areas that usually get dinged or beat up

• Anna

Can you write on it just like you do other chalk board paint

• Mimi Manuel

This isn't chalk board paint -- it's just chalk paint.

• Melbrooks

No, it's chalk paint, not chalkboard paint. It gives a matte finish and can easily be distressed with a little sandpaper, but not written on.

• Cat

So is it dusty like chalk

• Michelle

No, not dusty...

• Flo

Hi, Mimi! I'm in Jemison. Daughter is in Gadsden

• Linda Mobley

Why can't you resolve the baking soda first then add the paint????

• LaDell Smith Holland

Yes , dissolve in water first. - great idea

• Linda Germana

You will want the chalkiness of the baking soda to mix well with the paint first. Then add the water to thin it a bit. I don't think you would have the same outcome if you dissolve the soda first.

• Kara S.

The measurements are 1/2 baking soda to 3 tbs water. This isn't enough water to dissolve it, its just enough to make a paste. I recommend mixing it with the paint first, then adding water.

• The6913894

With most chalk paint you can paint just about everything without any priming or sanding,, as long as you degrease it and clean it well. Will this do the same?

• Kara S.

Yes! This is exactly the same just as long as you mix until the baking soda is totally dissolved.

• Red15374993

What does it look like when it's finished?

• GMaCarol

What do you use for a protective top coat?

• Cate

Could I use this on fabric? Specifically on upholstery - thanks.

• What do you use to make it a color?

• Margie Spenser

My guess is you use paint that is already the color you want. Adding the baking soda and water might make it a little lighter.

• If you used colored paint, I assume it will work the same .

• Micki

add a color by using a small craft acryic paint to the color you want.....bottles lik $1.50

• Vicky Helbling

What is the point of chalk paint?

• Micki

washable, matt finish that you can write on,,,,ooder coating like children, offices, etc...file cabinets for storage ess finger prints

• Ika Jacks

It also covers really well with not much prep. You can also use plaster of paris instead of baking soda. Either way, it looks 100% better after you wax it.

• Eliza Spear

Wax it with what?

• Lori

I just used minwax finishing wax. There is a number of different kinds of wax out there. In fact I think I will try "Howard Feed-N-wax". The "hard"wax is a bit hard to apply.

• What is a tub tbs

• Marcela

Is it 3 tablespoons of water? Photo has a stream of water thanks from Panama!

• Candy Walsh

With your homemade chalk paint, can you skip all the prep like you can with other store bought chalk paint?

• Jeannine

You must wash your piece of furniture with TSP Cleaner (which can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes or online). This prepares the furniture / wood for the paint. You don't have to sand first before using chalk paint unless your furniture has a glossy finish. Then you'd want to use a deglosser or sand your piece before painting. If you don't wash your piece with TSP Cleaner, you can have issues with the paint not sticking properly, dust in corners you didn't quite see, fingerprints, etc. that can inhibit what you are trying to make beautiful. It's easy to use TSP so always do so. Good luck!

• Candy Walsh

Thanks so much!

• Care

Will the baking soda dry out the wood?

• Sandy

What did you seal the finish...wax, polyuerathan?

• Jeannine

If you've painted on chalk paint, you can finish your piece of furniture, for example, with waxing it. If it's a kitchen table top, for example that will get a lot of use, you might choose to use polyurethane or a poly-acrylic (if you don't want it to yellow with age, like a white table). So any of those methods would work. Good luck!

• ScrapGal

Latex paint, flat?

• Jim Roache

Any latex finisg , except for glossy, would work out fine. Glossy seems to come out more muddled and uneven to me, at least.

• Jim Roache

Sorry! I meant finish. This smartphone keyboard is too small for me to use.

• CYBRCOOK

First. I cannot believe the brilliance of your discovery!!! How on earth did you think of it? does it bubble up from the baking soda? Indebted to you for sharing, thanks!~ DN

• MR

People having been using this recipe for years - look up chalk paint recipes on your computer - no, it doesnt bubble up

• Demeetra

Do you only use it for white paint or for any color desired? I tried to find chalk paint here (Greece) but it is terribly expensive, so this really helps me. thank you!!

• Jeannine

Demeetra, Make your own chalk paint with regular flat paint. I like to use the sample paint at Home Depot (or a local hardware store to you) to paint furniture & crafts & upholstery. The chalk paint recipe I use is: 2 tablespoons of climber's chalk (found at any sporting goods store), 1 tablespoon water. Mix well to get out lumps. Add this mixture to 1 cup of paint and mix. (Sample paint is 8 oz. which equals 1 cup of paint). Use Johnson Paste Wax (you can buy it at your local grocery store or Home Depot or Lowes or Amazon, think it's cheaper at the grocery store) to save money and it'll do a good job to finish your project after it's painted. Good luck!

• Debbie

I am ready to try this method. I need to know if I need to sand nightstand first or will it go over it well? Thank, Deb

• Jeannine

Make sure you clean it with TSP Cleaner first. Once it's dry, if your nightstand does not have a shiny, glossy finish ... yes you can paint the nightstand without sanding. Do a light sanding if it has a glossy finish on it before painting. Hope this helps. Good luck!

• Mickee Hicks

You never showed the finished product.What makes this different,it doesn't clearly show a difference.will it be easy to clean?

• I think it's supposed to be like a chalkboard?

• Vicky

No it's just paint with added ingredients. It makes your paint have a matte finish and it certainly makes your paint go farther. I have used chalk paint before and I always sealed it afterwards to make sure it held up but I'm not sure if you have to do that. I did it because you don't have to strip your piece before painting it with chalk paint and my chair was a hard finish so I felt it would hold up better with the clear seal.

• Mickee Hicks

Thanks,my husband is from Buffalo

• Jeanne Dobbins

What does the finished product look like and can you use any color of paint?

• Jeannine

You can use any color of paint to make chalk paint, choose what appeals to you. Waxing your furniture after painting can add to the look or change the look depending on if you are using clear wax (like Johnson Paste Wax) or a combination of clear wax & then a tinted dark wax over that to add some aging/antiquing your project. Good luck!

• Kara S.

The is a finished picture above. Yes, you can use any color as long as it's latex paint!

• CynthiaCeci

I would like to know how the paint job last? does it wear like normal chalk paint?

• René Ashley

I live in South Africa, & I'might wondering, which store would sell baking soda, I've only seen baking powder? Does it have another name here?

• Ric4207509

hi! here in Australia it's called carb soda. Probably carbonate of soda, its really common and usually near the flour, salt and such things.

• Eba10453209

It may be called bi-carb or bicarbonate of soda.

• Bebe Koerner

sodium bicarbonate

• Kit

Might find in the laundry detergent area of your store

• Elaine Griffiths

Baking soda is same thing!

• Aba7147062

Rene, you can buy bicarbonate soda from anywhere in supermarket by baking shelf. you wont miss this.

• Simone Lou

Wouldn't baking soda eventually eat through the paint itself?

• Rusted Angel

Did you use deglosser and sand the end table first?

• Oakmage3

Could you mix the baking soda with the water first and then add to the paint?? Or does that affect the final result?? Great idea though!!

• Misty Schwind

3 tablespoons of water isn't going to be enough to dissolve 1/2 cup of baking soda.

• Lynn

You are mixing it in paint also, not only water.

• Kara S.

You don't want to make a paste, you want to keep it at a paint, like consistency. I just recommend the way above to ensure that all the ingredient get mixed together and the baking soda dissolves.

• I just mix water to kills primer and makes a perfect shabby chic paint. you can use 1/3 or 1/2 water in their small pails. I believe they are 1 1/2 gallons. I have done deck floors, walls that were tongue and grove flooring, barn wood, any lumber. so easy works great. just don't use a lot of paint on the brush and stroke lightly until you get the effect you are looking for

• Debbie Rafferty

what is chalk paint used for

• Cka242292

anything old fashioned matte finish old school mostly on furniture

• Lynn

Anything. No priming needed. Just start with a clean surface.

• Kara S.

• Lisa

what if you want color instead of just the white how or what would you use to get the color you want

• Carol

You could buy paint already the color you want or some paint shops sell tubes of tint that can be used to mix your own color.

• Lynn

Any leftover paint you already have or sample size paints.

• Kara S.

You can use any color, just mix the colored latex paint into the baking soda water mix and you are ready to paint!

• Sharon Stacy Lester

Can you use this on plastic chairs?

• Christine Parsons

WOULD TO KNOW TOO PLEASE ,

• Shawna Bailey

I don't think it would wok well on plastic.

• Shawna Bailey

If you want to paint plastic try using paint mixed with calcium carbonate instead. it makes a stickier chalk paint, but is a little more expensive to make than this recipe. It's still cheaper than buying chalk paint though

• Kendall Wheaton

Painting plastic is tricky because if the item is glossy, chalk paint will scratch off in places. Maybe a sealer would help, but priming the plastic first so it's not so slick is the first step to keeping that paint on.

Does the wooden surface need to be sealed following the application of the paint?

• Tracey

I use sot wax to seal

• Kara S.

I did not seal mine.

• Eileen Zeigler

I use a coat of Polyurathane to seal after whitewashing. But, I only used diluted acrylic paint and perhaps it's less durable?

, Knotty pine armoire purchased from Craigslist that I whitewashed
  • Beverly Towns Barron

Would this work on a brick fireplace

• Orilyn Arredondo

Can this be used as well chalk paint. Like for a chalk board?

• Petia Sivkova

For chalk board I use acrilyc paint and plaster of Paris sealed with matte spray varnish.

• April

I believe chalk board paint is an entirely different paint....correct me if I am wrong please.

• Kara S.

These are two different things. Chalk paint is used to give your surface a distressed look.

• Cindy

Kara S, thank you for the clarification.

• Sarah Guffy

If you have semi gloss paint that is blue can you use it? Also do I need to sand stained ends tables.

• Shawna Bailey

You don't need to sand stained end tables but a semi gloss paint won't work well with this recipe.

• Lmr6037851

Do you get a smooth finisg

• Kara S.

It's pretty smooth. The key is to make sure you totally mix in the baking soda so it dissolves completely.

• Karen Lapierre

if you lightly sand with 400 grit sandpaper after it is thoroughly dry... it will be smooth as silk

• Linda P

If mixed with inexpensive exterior latex house paint, do you think this recipe would work as a filler primer to smooth out weathered wood that has some cracks ? It would be topcoated with good exterior latex house paint. Good filler primers are expensive.

• Kara S.

hmmm.... it's not very think, I'm not sure that it would fill the cracks completely.

• Shari Fielder Jecker

Paint isn't a filler, just changes the color of what the foundation is,always very important to prep before painting.

• September Heidtman

How long is 5 minuets?

• Would colors work as well as white?

• Eg110040130

How much plaster of paris do you mix in?

• Diana gledhill

You do still need to wax it, don't u?

• Sandy

Is acrylic paint an option to use instead of latex?

• Vivian Mckinley

I wonder if you thinned this a bit if you could use it to paint fabric? Like an old rug or even a couch? I have been looking at ideas to paint chalk paint fabric.

• Charlee Hunter

Don't thin the paint. Use a spray bottle to dampen the surface your painting (material), then paint. After it is dry use a fine grit sandpaper or steel wool to soften the texture. You could also add a fabric medium to the paint.

• Zan Miller Welch

Could you mix the baking soda with the water and then pour it in the paint

• Charlee Hunter

Yep. Or mix the water with the baking soda in your desired container and then pour in the paint (that is what I do). Stir until smooth.

• Janice

What kind of latex paint? Flat, Satin, Glossy?????

• Mike A

Based on the picture they used a flat paint. Which after I looked made sense for the desired effect.

• Cha4748892

I remember hearing that it doesn't matter...the baking soda will give it a matte finish. I've used flat and semi gloss and got the same result.

• Cha4748892

• Cha4748892

• Cha4748892

• Cha4748892

• Cha4748892

• Cha4748892

• Cha4748892

omg..nothing was happening so I kept pressing Add an Answer...I guess it was delayed..sorry!!

• Bsp22265707

I am adding new unfinished cabinets to my existing cabinets which are already painted. Do I need to prime the new cabinets first and strip the old cabinets or can I just paint over top the old paint?

• Mike A

The paint used in the picture was a paint and primer all in one.

• Yar3131989

Your cabinets are either unfinished or painted they can't be both

• Rtw7062578

She was adding unpainted cabinets to EXISTING painted cabinets. Read.

• Ranji

What did you seal it with?

• Kara S.

No need to seal!

• Charlotte Key McCann

I really don't understand why people like chalk paint. It's very porous, just cheap flat paint, and gets dirty very easily. Cannot be cleaned. No thank you.

• Kat Merriweather

I know the recipe I use is with plaster of paris instead of baking soda. But either way it works and much cheaper. I will disagree with Charlotte Key McCann's comment because you can clean it when it gets dirty. And you do not have to use only flat paint you can use eggshell, matte and even semi-glass and they all come out just fine, at least mine do. I also use a wax to seal it like on dressers and normal wear and tear it does just fine. On things that will get heavy use I love the Polyacrylic spray and dries hard and once again easy to clean. And Karen S. great tutorial. :)

• Ranji

Thanks, I'm thinking about what I will paint first now!!!

• Yes11731765

I make mine with plaster of paris. I have sealed it with wax and with poly. Both cleans really well.

• Mar7556146

Do you have to reapply wax periodically?

• Andrew Bounader

Hi Guys, This may help a little with the differences between Plaster of Paris and Baking Soda, I don't want to hijack the thread however some clarification may help? Sodium hydrogen carbonate, (Baking Soda) is more reactive than Calcium Sulphate Hemihydrate (Plaster of Paris also 'Mud' Base Coat Plaster or Raw Stucco or Cornice Cement). Baking Soda can combine to form an extremely hard surface, Plaster (when set is the same as drywall or chalk) is the next softest natural mineral after talc, so will need sealing to prevent it from wearing. (It will also react with the moisture in the paint and start to set so will start to go gritty). Baking Soda also reacts with the moisture (water) in the paint and produces bubbles of carbon dioxide. The Paint acts as an adhesive and will stick to the new salts produced = NaCl, H2O and CO2 (Salt, Water and Carbon Dioxide), thinning the paint out too much can affect the bond with the surface and you'll get premature de-lamination or flaking. It's the effect you want but sometimes less is more, different quality paints react differently to being doctored and if there's and acid used as a preservative in the paint then you may get an additional reaction and a fizzing of the Baking Soda, so a trial piece of a similar material may be a good idea till you get the mix right for the paint you have.

Good Luck it sounds like a great way to get your own chalk like paints.

Andrew

• Debbie H.

I've read that chalk paint can be used on upholstery because it soaks in and stains the upholstery. How would this DIY chalk paint compare?

• Val10299885

Hi where are measurements for paint-Baking soda and water please?
    Thankyou

• Can you use the baking soda and water if using stain?

• Mam6067933

did you ever try dissolving the baking soda in boiling water first, then letting it cool and adding it to the paint? Might help reduce the tie you have to stir the mixture.

• Annette Barsby

Good question, and I wanted to ask if the colour would be weaker after adding the latex to the sample pot or whatever colour paint you choose to start it with.
      I'm still trying to find a supply that isn't horror/ Halloween based stuff

• Annette Barsby

Just used hot water and made up some paint looks great, nice and smooth in no time at all Mamabear.

• Felicia Boros

Do you need to protect with wax after?

• Lisa Sinclair

You can if you want you can even antique it a little more this way too. I actually polyurethaned mine. But I also used plaster of Paris instead of the baking soda.

• Kimberly Thom

Hi
    Could you add dye or food coloring for different colors
    Thank You

• Sha3898107

Yes I did, also get some of the rid dyes,stuff in a package or some here it comes koolaid, the weirdest thing I've used us left over permanent markers and highlighters out them in water and then poured it into the paint etc

• Annette Barsby

Well that's recycling and making do.... love it. Shamrock

• Darlene Chinchar

How long does it store for in the jar?

• Beverly Clement

For any liquid - paint, glue, etc. - just turn the jar upside down and store it on it's lid. Keeps out so it doesn't dry out as fast. Works for cans of paint too.

• Annette Barsby

Also stops a skin forming on any paint, or if it does form you won't have to peel or break it off, as it will be the other way up. I had some paint with a skin that i had to break with a hammer and chisel. It was fine underneath and I strained it after through a pair of tights
      Paint is expensive stuff nowadays

• Annette Barsby

I notice you say that one can use any left over paint, instead of latex liquid paint. You don't stipulate a type of paint.So does that mean any kind of paint, such as emulsion or a gloss type?
    As I understand it you can omit the liquid latex and just add the soda to the other paint you have left over.
    Someone has mentioned making it easier and less time consuming by heating the water and then adding the soda to it. Sounds a great idea, and that is what I do with Soda crystals for cleaning things and grease removal.
    But soda crystals are not the same as bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) are they?
    But equally hard to dissolve in cold water

• Marilee H

I'm not sure what you mean by soda crystals - what we in the U.S. call washing soda maybe? Not the same thing at all. As far as paint, it has to be a water clean up paint. I would mix the baking soda & water first, then add the paint.

• Annette Barsby

Yes laundry or washing soda, very basic powder, sometimes more crystal like, but brilliant water softener too. Yes totally fidsfferent as baking soda is edible Washing soda def not.
      Yes, I've just made some up using hot water and baking soda, and it was easy peasy, Nice and smooth in no time, and then added a small sample pot of emulsion. Looks okay, See how well it performs and if it's still settling at the bottom on the container.

• Lin Collins

I think the author really did mean "any left over paint". Don't try to over think things.

• Deb Allenbaugh

Did you sand first ?

• Shirley Johnson

Why do you ad baking soda to the latex paint? Why not just paint with latex paint? Does the baking soda give it a different texture or non gloss?

• Annette Barsby

It's to make it look like chalk paint Shirley. The baking soda must be the ingredient that does that. The fact that the author states you can use any left over paint explains that to my mind. I've just made some up with a sample pot of emulsion i had, and added hot water to the soda first then added the paint. Lovely and smooth in no time at all, tends to settle in the bottom, but I reckon you just have to keep stirring it. Maybe there is some ingredient you can add to emulsify the paint to avoid it settling so much. Maybe with Latex paint it may not settle so much as with the emulsion. Just have to try things out. you never know you may come up with a prefect mix. then you market it. ha ha

• Roberta Nelson

We use plaster of paris

• JudyH

Plaster of Paris works much better than baking soda. I've used both methods and POP gives the project a much smoother finish. Paint is so silky and flows on like butter.

• Kathy Haines Cramer

I think she is questioning the use of chalky paint instead of just the latex paint. Why use a chalky paint?

• Sophia

it is supposed to be a thicker consistency, therefore eliminating the need for additional coats, as chalk paint generally takes 1 coat. It is also a matte sheen seen in many french country styles.

• Judy Pepin Gulden

Next to the baking soda is a box of baking powder. Is using the baking powder just as good as using the baking soda?

• 9530106

I believe it is just showing you it is off the shelf in the baking goods dept.

• J.b. kelly

No baking powder would not work the same ,different rexture

• Judy Pepin Gulden

Sure - I will try it. Do you sometimes use baking powder instead or the baking soda?

• Julie gartland

Just to say what a great tip, I shall be trying it out soon. Thank you.

• Lisa

wht if you want color instead of just the white how would you go about adding color

• Susan Peterson

do you need to seal it with anything?? I am definately going to try this!!! Thanks for the tip!!!

• Liz Baker Gaspar

I don't see why not, if you use a flat sealer after you get it looking the way you want it to.

• Kara S.

No, sealing it is not necessary

• Mary

I always seal when I ise chalk paint is this different because chalk paint is not easily cleaned as it absorbs everything they make a matte finish spray I use from krylon on my jars furniture pretty much everything lol

• Dianne

Can I use this on something I keep outside?

• Mary

I use a matte sealer if I'm putting this kinda of stuff outside or I seal first then paint then the ultra matte or matte sealer from krylon

• Dianne

Thanks Mary! Have a great day!

• Ccl24532189

What is the purpose of doing this? What are the advantage?

• Rita Hendricks

Cheaper than ready-made chalk paint

• Jewell Martin

Chalk paint is a lot more forgiving than other paints. Unless you start with a very shiny surface, you don't have to sand the item. The chalk fills in a lot of little gaps. It dries quickly, even if you use three coats with light sanding only. If you want distressing, that's easy to do with chalk paint. Best wishes 😇

• Moe

What is the clear liquid that your photo show going into the paint?

• Nancy Wilson

Can this be used with black paint to create "chalkboard"?

• Christine Pardo

This is for chalk paint, not chalkboard paint.

• Jewell Martin

These are two completely different products. But a can of chalkboard paint goes a long way and comes in various colors. Don't forget to buy a box of chalk! Best wishes 😇

• Michelle Perkins

For chalkboard paint you can use any paint you would like and 2 tablespoons grout powder.

• Michelle Perkins

Use 2 cups paint to 2 tablespoons grout

• Lee27463780

Would the finished table need a coat of sealer if using outdoors? If so, what kind.
    Can't wait to try this .

• Sharon Rivera

Do you have to prep before painting, or it is like regular chalk paint no sanding or stripping?

• Kim Oldenburg

can this be used directly on varnished furniture or do I need to sand it first?

• Glo21772132

Did you need to use wax after you painted?

• Itsmemic

why don't you dissolve the baking powder in the water before adding to paint?

• Floral

I had this thought, too. My best guess would be the chemistry... The water will eventually evaporate. You don't want the baking soda to form bonds with the water and prevent evaporation, or your paint will never dry. You want the baking soda to stick with the paint, not the water, so it needs to interact with the paint first.

• Gla33476591

Add 3 tablespoons of water to a 1/2 cup of baking soda will just create some lumps, hence pour it into the cup of paint. The 3 tablespoons of water added at the end help thin out the baking soda/paint mixture. Chemistry bonds and water evaporation have nothing to do with it.

• Mjb21904475

Can you use this method on the outside of the house --the bottom 6inches of the foundation?

• Floral

If you buy an exterior latex paint, yes, BUT! Latex paint tends to tear rather than chip, so when it starts to wear, it will peel off in strips.

• Cheryl Biermann

So to be clear, this formula does everything chalk paint does including eliminating sanding and wears for a long time. Is this formula able to handle the wax sometimes used to enhance chalk paint? Sorry for all the questions.

• Diane Bishop

When using chalk paint you may still have to sand your wood. You can skip the sanding if your surface is smooth and it lacks any shine. If you do work with chalk paints they require a form of top coat to seal your peice. Wax is one of the many options available and with the choice of colors it makes painting option endless. Some companies like Heirloom have created an all in one chalk paint that elimimates primer(if it was needed) and your top coat/sealer. I have a lot of fun with it. I hope you have a chance to play with chalk paint too!

• Lin Collins

Why would you even want to do this? Chalk paint your home's foundation? It would not hurt anything but will not help anything either.

• Em

curious why it cost $10 to make when Home Depot sells the paint for under $3 and he dollar store has a whole box of baking soda for $100

• Em

oops meant to write $1.00 not $100!

• Floral

Pricing and availability vary based on region. For instance, not every Dollar Tree carries baking soda. The brand of paint chosen may also influence cost. If you can do the project for $4-6, why not try it and let us know how it turns out?

• Tamera

That is a one pound box of baking soda in the photo, Em, and to be specific, it costs more than a dollar.

• Pauline

My dollar tree carries it for 1.00. Not sure it's the same brand. Some people like to make their own chalk paint So why not?

• Susan

Em, what paint can you get for $3 ??

• Cher

You can buy paint samples for $3-6

• Lori

You can also get some great bargains in the 'custom tinted returned' paint section at a lot of stores like walmart, ace hardware, etc. And also make sure to check out the clearance section, they'll have paint marked down a lot sometimes there too.

• Millie G

Oops paint can usually be found in the paint section of Home Depot or Lowes.

• Kor24957962

Excuse my ignorance...but what is it about chalk paint? Why not just regular paint?

• Bernadette

Chalk paint makes it so there is no sanding or stripping---just get to the fun stuff.

• Diane Bishop

Chalk paint reduces the prep work. Sometimes you get lucky and can skip all prep but only if your peice was already in great shape. I also love the options that colored wax provides! I just think its more fun to paint with chalk paint.

• Stephanie Lewis

It's also easier to distress. Sands off really powdery. i finish some of pieces by going over lightly with Parafin wax also.

• Caroline Wolf

no prep work and dries super fast

• Robyn Anderson

Chalky finished paint gives your surface an aged, matte look that is easily distressed.

• Juj7486537

Explain the parafin wax finish.

• Jnn1545184

I use calcium carbonate. You do have to seal all chalk paints

• Lin Collins

Some people actually LIKE their stuff to look like it's been sitting out behind the barn for the last 40 years. My grandmother added this stuff to the burn pile before heading to town to buy new stuff which also looked new.

• Hap28334122

If I'm doingthis to a small black painted bookshelf do I need to strip it or can it just be sanded. I'd like to paint it gray.

• Nba28093167

Is this paint washable?

• Angela Lewis

Can this be used on kitchen cabinets?

• Sylvia Sethares-Heyl

If you used your wonderful idea on colored paint would it make the color much lighter?
    Secondly, did you wax your final project like suggested with chalk paint? Thanks

• Cathy Brown

Could this be used on a plastic ? bathroom sink to cover old dots of paint and scratches or would it just wash off ? Can you recommend a paint or anything that would work on my bathroom sink that would not wash off ??
    Thank you very much !!

• Charlotte

Do you still need to use wax?

• Albert Matulewicz

wouldn't mixing the baking soda with the water first aid in dissolving it?

• Pam Payne

Yes. That's what I do when I use calcium carbonate to make chalk paint.

• Charlene Acuna Smith

Did you try dissolving the baking soda in the water, then mixing?

• Jan Ludlow Zorn

Can this be used on kitchen cabinets? Do you need to sand them first?

• Tracy

did you try this on the cabinets? If so, did it work?

• Beverly Thomas Gibson

I would like to know if you can use on kitchen cabinets? Also do I need to sand them first. I don't see a answer for this question.

• Jo Harris

You can just put a polycoat on top to seal and if you don't want a rough finish then sand

• Sus33043328

Also you have to seal with poly for kitchen cabinets or you wont be able to clean them....will be a mess...i will never not seal with either wax for furniture or poly.....cabinets multiple thin coats of poly a must

• Nikita Daniels

If you use food grade Calcium carbonate, you can make it thick or thin by adding or not adding water, and to not have to seal it. It is actually the most durable paint that I have ever used.. I've tried sanding it off a different project and it took forever lol. Great if you don't want to ever have to repaint your piece though lolI usually mix my paint with a cheap dollar store hand-held kitchen mixer, beats taking it to the paint store to be shaken. That's when you can really have fun mixing your own colours

• Linda D

Calcium carbonate instead of soda?

• Spa23449481

Can you use a color latex paint?

• Trisha Oatman Mencio

Yes. It doesnt have to be white. The baking soda doesn’t change the color if that’s what you were thinking?

• Ben4299185

Yes you can but use a few coats of polyacrylic or other to protect the finished product....I did and their still going strong after 2 yrs

• Millie

I did this on a buffet and I love the texture so much I touch it often, so smooth feeling. Be sure to use water based poly so no yellowing and give time to cure between coats.

• Judy Fazio

Very Neat! How durable is this? Wondering if it comes off when you wash it?

• Lisa

You can buy a matte (Minwax) or Flat finish (General Finish) polyurethane

• Ancharat

Can I mix baking soda and water first then stir together after that I will pour latex paint ?

• Ancharat

• Ben4299185

Can you wet blend with this homemade version?

• Ben4299185

• Lainie

Would it blend better if you used warm water and mixed the baking soda and water together first then added it to the paint?

• Diena Cameron

Hi Leonie, I was wondering the same thing. Did she ever respond to you ? If I ever need chalk paint, think I will give it a try.

• Renee

I wonder if the warm water would activate the soda and then it would act differently in the paint? That may be why she’s putting it in the paint first.

• Cristina Herodotou

I think warm cold water is best so it give time to dissolve with the paint. As latex paint it has they're own warmness

• Brenda Rudison

Is it water proof

• Nurse Penelope

how long does it keep?

• Anna olivier

Please explain what is late pain and where can i find it thanks anna

• Lisa

Can you do this with acrylic paint?

• Nad1536561

The idea here is to save money and get a chalky paint. An 8 oz sample of latex paint at Home Depot is about $3. I think acrylic paint would be more costly.

• Lisa

Oh ok, I make small projects and usually buy the Apple barrel acrylic paint for 50cents at Walmart, that’s why I was asking if I could use it on acrylic paint. That’s pretty cheap for me because I don’t use a lot of chalky paint.

• GwenBoser Wilson

It works with acrylic paint because it is also a water based paint. You would have to adjust theamounts of water & baking soda. Divide the amount of paint by 1/2, that's how much baking soda you would use. So for 2 oz. Acrylic paint 1/8 cup (2 Tablespoons) baking soda; 3 Tablespoons of water for 8 oz paint. So 1/4 of that for 2 oz. If my math is right that would be 2 1/4 teaspoons of water.

• Arm3081571

Could this paint be written on, used by children to write on such as a real chalk board effect?

• Tamara Arias

I am painting my grandbabies bedroom floor with this recipe.so so I mix up a little at a time so it won't dry out? The rooms are 8 by 10.

• Lynne Forrestal

If you paint the room all in one sitting it should be fine, it doesn't dry out in just a few minutes. and you can add a little more water if it gets thicker. I've never done this on walls before, only furniture and decorative items.

• Gra7446398
      Yesterday

Tamara- if you are wanting to turn your grandchildren's floor into a giant chalkboard for them to draw on with chalk (great idea!!), then this is not the paint you want to use. Chalk-paint and chalkboard-paint are two very different things. This is just a very matte finish paint, but it cannot be used as a chalkboard. You will need to purchase actual chalkboard paint.

• Sandy Justice

Do you have to use wax to seal latex based paint

• Teri

I was wondering the same thing. I just read through all the old comments and a few said that using a wax or poly sealer made it more durable and last longer.

• Lynne Forrestal

On furniture and deco pcs I use a spray poly to seal it. matt finish, or semi gloss . I generally do 3 light coats

• Fjb25986673

Could u use this on fabric?

• Michelle Webster

How long will the paint last in a sealed jar?

• Beverly Chumchal

Do u put a clear top coat after painting

• Dani Hyde

I don’t know but I want to know what happens if you don’t put the top coating (people talked about wax coating) but figured If someone answers then we’ll find out

• Vickie

You wouldn't have too. Sometimes I use a wax and run it on.

• Ash34115245

You can use wax on the top only. Any kind of wax I believe. I use Johnson paste max.

• Michael Wallace

Is there any chance of the paint coming off since there was dish soap used with it? If so would doing a clear coat after it dries help or possibly smudge the paint?

• Tom Stuart
      7 hours ago

There is no dish soap used in this. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3.

Thoroughly clean the wood you are painting. The main cause of peeling paint is lack of preparation.

Any chalk paint produces a matte finish, that’s why it is used, to give that specific look. Using it will give it an aged look. If you want to protect it make a test on a small piece of plywood. Paint it with the chalk paint, let dry overnight, then mask half of it with newspaper, and spray half of it with the matte finish clear coat. Choose the one you like.

• Jea12839731

I want to paint a chair, ( I know, furniture who thought) and I mean the material on it. They all say to use chalk paint. Will this work on cloth?

• Lizzy L
      Yesterday

I have seen people use watered down chalk paint for that. I would google it.

• Susan Zesati

Can it be used on a wall for kids to draw on?

• Lizzy L
      Yesterday

No. You want chalkboard paint for that, not chalk paint. Big difference.