Refinishing an Old Step-stool High Chair

My aunt moved out of the home she'd lived in for 60 years and graciously offered family a chance to go through the house and take what we wanted. I found this old step-stool/high chair rusting in the basement and thought it would be perfect for my granddaughter to use when she helped me in the kitchen. We found many other treasures, but I think this was my favorite find <3
Just waiting for Grandma's helper to come visit again!
I forgot to take a pic before I sprayed the first coat of paint stripper on it, but this was after my first spray.
Two coatings of paint stripper and scraping, and there was STILL some paint left on it!
Primed and ready for paint!
Primed and ready for paint!
Painted and ready for a couple clear coats

• Beverly

Hi, I have one of these stools that I want to refinish. I need to replace the rubber mats on the steps. I have searched everywhere I know too. Do you have a source? Thank you so much.
    • Sandy

Lowes has rubber treads in the flooring/carpet section. I bought one tread to cut the 2 pieces but decided not to use it!

• Eunice Rochner

I never saw a blk and white one,they were red and white around here. At least that is all Iever saw!! You did a great job.

• Silvan Johnson

@Eunice Rochner Several other people said they had red & white ones, too...this one was black & white when I found it and it had been painted over a time or two, but I didn't see any red on it as I was stripping it. They must have made a few different colors :)

• Shirley Kalinosky

I have my Mom's it done in browns. Copper brown metal and lighter brown for the seat and steps. She never stood on it but used it by the sink to put her bags of potatoes and onions on the steps! lol I have used it a lot when I'm painting and I am going to re-do it over to match my new kitchen. Pictures later.