Amanda C, Hometalk Team
Amanda C, Hometalk Team
  • Brooklyn, NY

Tension Rod Shoe Storage

1 Material
$15

Shoe lover? I certainly am, but living in Brooklyn with limited space can sometimes cause chaos in the closet. An easy way to organize your shoes is with some tension rods! Tension rods are honestly a staple in organization these days and this hack is no exception. By simply installing some tension rods in your closet you can rest your shoes in an orderly fashion easily.

If you need to organize your entire closet, join our online workshop, where you'll learn all the techniques to make your closet a sanctuary :)

tension rod shoe storage, storage ideas

SUPPLIES: -Tension Rods (As many as needed...)

tension rod shoe storage, storage ideas

STEP 1: Take note of how terribly disorganized your closet is so that you can marvel at it when you are done. *This before picture is such a mess. This is also only some of my shoes hehe....

tension rod shoe storage, storage ideas

STEP 2: Take a tension rod and fit it to the sides of the closet. I got these tensions rods on Amazon and they worked beautifully. If you have some tension rods lying around your home (they're quite handy), you can just use those.

tension rod shoe storage, storage ideas

STEP 3: Take the tension rod out and pull out an extra inch from the size you measured in step 2. Twist the rod into a locked position so that it is nice and sturdy.

tension rod shoe storage, storage ideas

STEP 4: Place your tension rod in the closet close to the wall. Repeat steps 2-4 with as many rods as needed.

tension rod shoe storage, storage ideas

STEP 5: Now grab some shoes and start stacking them onto the rods. *Because most of my shoes have a nice chunky heel they are able to balance on one rod. If you have more delicate shoes they may have a tendency to fall through the back. If this is the case you can buy the thinner rods and double up. Basically you would place 2 small rods next to each other almost creating a shelf for the shoes to rest on. For heels you can do them slightly offset so the heel rests on the back rod and the toe on the front. For the shoes I was storing all I needed was the standard rods, but I may have to alter it for some of my other shoes.

tension rod shoe storage, storage ideas

STEP 6: Take a step back and revel at how much simpler your life just became.

tension rod shoe storage, storage ideas

As you can see the heftiness of my shoes made them capable of staying on one rod, but two would certainly give them more stability.

tension rod shoe storage, storage ideas

Now I have all this great floor space to store other things... like more shoes :)

tension rod shoe storage, storage ideas

I can actually see my options now! Got to love getting organized!

• Cadd56

Where do you find the short tension rods?

• Renee Devries

Seeing that you already had trim boards around the inside of the closet, I suspect originally there were shelves. Why didn’t you just just the shelves back to the size of your shoes/boots?

• Carol Stowell

I used a fairly flimsy tension under my kitchen cabinet to organize it better. Super idea. The only problem I had was the weight on the rod. It worked super for all those 1/2 filled bottle of cleaners but if it was a new bottle and there were several of them, it kep pulling the tension rod off/down. First of all, I should have used a heavier stronger tension rod. I just wondered if if u encountered the same problem with your shoes. I know shoes especially those with chunky heels can be pretty heavy. Did this happen to u? Is that why you provided the extra support? I should have put my thinking cap on and nailed some kind of Clete to the walls. Or maybe just a heavier rod would have done the trick. Those darn fresh bottles of cleaner are pretty heavy. Anyway, love your clever idea! ❤️

• Noreen Schaan

Great idea. I am going to be doing this in my closet so my shoes are all in one place neat and tidy. So ingenuous..who would of thought that a simple tension would be a great way to store your shoes. I love it! Thank you for sharing this awesome idea. Keep on DIY'ing..oh yeah 🙂👍💖

• Karen

you're