How do you remove a key stuck in the lock?

+6
This happens to me once in a while - what are your best methods for removing a key from a lock? Thanks, Hometalkers!
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 27, 2016
    www.ehow.com/how_4700077_key-out-of-lock-quickly.html
  • Johnchip Johnchip on Dec 27, 2016
    Spray in WD40, use pliers, wiggle up, down and sideways until it loosens, pull out straight. The other thing is to take the lock out of the door and apart to remove the key.
  • William William on Dec 27, 2016
    It's also possible the key has worn unevenly and some of the teeth are getting stuck on the lock pins. Try another key ( most locksets come with two keys) and see if it happens. You may need replace the key.
  • Marty Grimson Marty Grimson on Dec 30, 2016
    WD-40 and plyers and gentle wiggling. Once it's out, spray WD-40 in the keyhole. Could be rusty from humidity. New locks aren't that much $.
  • P auline miller P auline miller on Jan 01, 2017
    Silicone spray may also work. I spray my locks on a regular basis, as I live in an older rental house.
  • Ljgordon Ljgordon on Jan 02, 2017
    NEVER use WD 40 on a lock. WD-40 sequence as time passes: 1. nice and slick. 2. slightly sticky. 3. really sticky. 4. Dry and sealed. We used WD-40 to stop and seal rust on the inside of aluminum airplane wings. You may have to take the lock apart and soak it in acetone to loosen the pins then lubricate with graphite powder or spray. Also, some locks require that the key be turned several times to remove the key.