How can I soundproof myapartment? Such loud highway noises!

I need your quick diy ideas that would keep the sounds out of my apartment. Keep cost in mind as I am on fixed income. There is no sound barrier between the apartment building and hwy. There is double pain Windows, but they are very drafty and cold.
I sit by the window sometime's on the couch. The nose is so loud my ears seriously hurt making me cry. It's a rental apartment, i like the natural light in the rooms, but in my bedroom has no privacy, when opening drapes.
I have the heavy, and another pair of curtians up; don't work. Also have to keep appearince in mind, in a nice development. Just trying to live out lease agreement till the summer... Helpppp
  10 answers
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 28, 2016
    For the drafty windows you can use a window insulation kit available at Home Improvements stores I believe
    Three M is the manufacturer. If you do not have area carpets that would also cut down on the noise and add warmth to your rooms.
  • Johnchip Johnchip on Dec 28, 2016
    This sounds miserable. I would aproach the landlord explain the severity of your problem and that, due to your age, job, etc, you have had to seek medical attention due to the noise issues, and ask to have the lease terminated as soon as they can find another tenant. No one should be put to tears due to the conditions of their rental.
  • William William on Dec 28, 2016
    Window insulating kits will solve the draft problems, not much for the noise. If you want to move before the lease is up. Everything needs to be documented. Notarized affidavits from other tenants, friends, relatives. Any communication with the landlord should be though texts and emails which can be saved. You can also have the city department building department to verify the noise. The may be able to perform a noise level test, if they have the equipment, and provide you with the results. With all this in hand you should be able to break the lease without any further responsibility if the landlord doesn't/can't remedy the situation in a reasonable length of time. There also are tenant rights organizations that can assist and advise you. Many are free services funded by HUD! No one should live this way!
    • Johnchip Johnchip on Dec 29, 2016
      Before I would start a campaign, I would simply aproach the landlord with your concerns. Most landords do not want unhappy tenants.
  • Gsc12624500 Gsc12624500 on Dec 29, 2016
    I carpet my walls works great make sure you can take carpet down and with for next place.also cork boarding works but not as warm
  • Virginia Prestridge Virginia Prestridge on Dec 29, 2016
  • Sarah Barron Sarah Barron on Dec 29, 2016
    i have a similar problem with street noise, ive found having carpeted floors and using heavy curtain fabrics helped a little im thinking of making window screens possibly incorperating a layer of insultation to dull the noise more x
  • Terry Meek Terry Meek on Dec 30, 2016
    There are many soundproofing materials at places like HOME DEPOT or LOWE'S that can be used. You can also find carpet remnants at flooring stores that can be used to adhere to the walls. Try to get something that is in the same color family as your drapes or color scheme and just carpet the walls and floors. I've use plastic sheets over windows and over AC window units to keep the cold out which also helps to keep the noise out. Is all else fails, you may have to move but it sounds like you have a good reason to break the lease. Especially if you are planning on moving when warmer weather gets here, just do it sooner.
    • Katherina Christopher Katherina Christopher on Jan 13, 2017
      Thank you for your suggestions, will go to the hardware store and see what they have. The carpet sounds difficult to install on the walls, good idea. Have a great day! 😀
  • Jane Jane on Jan 17, 2017
    maybe a realitively small fountain or also I have heard of some little machine that makes different soothing noises. Good luck
    • Katherina Christopher Katherina Christopher on Jan 18, 2017
      Thank you , i have tried, a fan, radio, earplugs, you name it i may have tried. I guess not all right? Other wise why would i be here Asking for suggestions. lol.
  • Dfm Dfm on Jan 22, 2017
    did you try industrial ear plugs or the i'm traveling and i need my sleep ones? the industrial ones have a higher decibel rating.
  • Katherina Christopher Katherina Christopher on Jan 22, 2017
    The ones I have are for trap shooting for target practice. I was a coach on the lady's classic shooting tournament in 1994.
    Also have the flange ones(look like layers of rubber.)
Your comment...