Asked on Dec 28, 2016

How can I update my green vinyl accordion door?

StephanieJane HighwaterEroque022810
+10

I'm wondering if there is a way to makeover my olive green vinyl accordion closet door. I don't want to replace it with something else at this point, but I would like it to blend with my new grey living room.
  • D roach

can you not just cover it with a curtain?
    Or you could probably stick fabric to it.

Can you post a photo?What is the door made out of?
  • Janice

You can't paint it, it will crack. Other than the curtain idea, I can only think of mactac. You could do a wood grain or plain colour. Would cost a bit though and may not be that much more to replace it (you can get it at the Dollar Store). This is a puzzle. I'd take it down and replace it with a curtain or get a new one. You can get them at $40. By the time you find a solution and add up the costs involved....you could have a new one! Good luck.
  • Shannon

you could remove it and hang a shower rod with a curtain panel in its place. Replace it with a door when you are ready.
  • Millie

Impossible to say without an image posted.
  • Nadine

You can cover it with peel n stick wallpaper or contact paper depending on your budget. There are many styles and patterns to choose from on Amazon, Ebay and I have even seen contact paper at the dollar store. I would look for rolls that are at least 78" long and cut them in strips to match the folds on the accordion door. This will give you a completely new look at minimal cost.
    • Emmaline Johnson

Thank you so much Nadine. Ive been searching for a way to spruce up my accordion door when it comes in, and luckily Ive been collecting peel and stick wall paper from thrift stores so I have quite the supply.

• Bonnie Jean Bolton

Great idea, thanks
  • Libby

Along the curtain line of thought - there are sheers with cascading light strands sewn within the thin layers. This would look good with a Bohemian chic or casual eclectic look.
  • Libby

If you have the space,
    you could create a "diversion" with a large folding screen, and a big potted plant. Hang art work on the reverse side.

Or -- A few bookshelves placed in an L shape coming off the wall could create a hallway entry.

Or -- Just two bookshelves 3 feet away from the green door. This would allow you to enter your new "hallway" from either side
  • Eroque022810

Can you use contact paper but just on the folds not on the whole door so you end up with a striped effect that coordinates with the room?
  • Jane Highwater

I lived in a house that had curtain doors on all the closets. I thought I'd hate them, but I didn't. The key was that they were made of heavy canvas material - the weight make them hang nicely, no matter how I abused them as I dug in my closets.

• Stephanie

If you can take it down and rehang it, you can always spray paint it. Just male sure you have it fully extended and spray evenly. There are also very good decorate paints by Rust-Oleum that gives great coverage and little fuss, plus they are durable and goes over many different surfaces.