Cy
Cy
  • Newport, OR

Building a Barbecue

Hello, I am Cy from Cy's Corner and this is a project from the mind of my Husband. He wanted to make an area specifically for the barbecue! I made a video of this building adventure and it is included below, but for tutorial sake I will describe his process with some pictures.
building a barbecue
We had a patio already, but because of where he wanted the barbecue to sit he poured an extra concrete slab on one end of the patio that was 3x6 feet and about 4 inches thick. Here in this picture it has already been poured and Husband has started to build on it.
building a barbecue
He used 8x8x16 inch cinder blocks to build the base, using mortar mix wherever the blocks touched.
building a barbecue
He used a level along the way to make sure everything was…well, level!
building a barbecue
He used rebar horizontally and vertically throughout the blocks.
building a barbecue
He built up the levels and let the mortar set for a day or two.
building a barbecue
Then he painted the cinder blocks with concrete paint.
building a barbecue
He used tile mastic to adhere the granite top to the cinder block base.
building a barbecue
This piece of granite was very heavy and was designed with a hole where the barbecue would sit. He also made some simple doors out of pine and attached the door frame to the cinder block using concrete anchors.
building a barbecue
My job was to paint the doors black.
building a barbecue
He hung the doors using regular old hinges.
building a barbecue
He tried caulking the barbecue in place but that didn’t work so well, so he used the mastic again and permanent clamps that can’t be seen because they are on the inside.
This was a propane barbecue but we did end up having natural gas hooked up later. It was easy to add a converter package to our barbecue.
building a barbecue
And here it is all completed!
building a barbecue
Husband was a barbecuing machine!!!
This is a short video of the entire process of Husband's barbecue build! I have more videos of my own projects, from woodworking to remodeling our little house, go to my YouTube channel called Cy's Corner to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOoeZFDsNp4US0BEvevTQmw
Thanks and I hope to see you again! ~Cy

• Cinder block
  • Mastic
  • Mortar
Cy

• Zhanna

The actual barbecue that was set into the opening in the granite--was that part of a typical grille that has a cabinet under it and all the other stuff that has to be assembled? Did you just not use anything but the main part?
  • Josie Holland

How easy is it for someone like me to build a BBQ like that? It look easy in the video
  • Paula K. Varble

How did you get the grill into the hole of the table top?

• Mary Clark

I don't have a question (I'm gonna check out your links), but I gotta say this was really fun to watch! Great info, wicked humor, nothing not to like. Thanks a bunch.

• Eroque022810

Ok, we don't have granite in our kitchen because of the sealing and stuff so wow! He is really into this and it came out great!! I think that it was very thoughtful of him to add more space than to use the patio space up,besides it allows more people out there to keep him company. It's been a few years since it was posted but I'm glad they decided it was worth showing it again because it really is very well done,I hope your still enjoying it very much and in good health.