Get Oraganized for the New Year

Turn a water stained, broken shelf into a rolling cart to organize your things and start the year off right.
get oraganized for the new year
This piece was in seriously bad shape when I found it last summer. It was water stained, broken and pretty much falling apart. It was just the type of piece I love. It was exactly what I had been looking for and was the perfect candidate to into a cart to get some of my paint supplies organized.
get oraganized for the new year
The first thing I did with the shelf was to add a bottom to it. I didn't want to waste the space under the second shelf so this seemed like the best solution.
After measuring and cutting out a piece of wood to fit the bottom, it was attached with wood glue and small nails.
Once the shelf was in place, I painted it all in a soft, pretty blue called Little Whale by Fusion Mineral Paint.
get oraganized for the new year
To make the cart moveable, so that I could easily access it from anywhere, I added wheels to the bottom.
get oraganized for the new year
Check out the steps here to add wheels to your furniture... it's not as hard as you think!
get oraganized for the new year
To hold my paint charts, a metal basket was added to the side. It was brown originally and was spray painted silver to match the rest of the add-ons before attaching it.
get oraganized for the new year
I had little black label holders that were the right size for the shelves so spray painted them as well and added them to the shelf edges. I used small nails to hold them in place and added the labels... easy as pie.
get oraganized for the new year
To finish off the cart, I took a vintage metal tray (that I had spray painted silver too) and added it to the side of the cart. The tray provides an excellent place for me to leave notes and reminders (and heaven knows I need them!) in a convenient spot.
get oraganized for the new year
A cart like this is so versatile! There are so many things you could add on to the sides to add storage and I can quickly change up the labels if I want it to organize something else in the future.
Hop over to the blog to see more pictures and the two original posts that made up this project...

• Fusion Mineral Paint in Little Whale  (Local Stockist)
  • Wheels  (D. Lawless Hardware)
  • Old bookshelf  (found)

Recreated Designs