Make Your Own Pom Pom Rug

$60

Picking out rugs is sooooo hard for an indecisive like me, so I thought I would go ahead and make one.... turns out that was just as hard to decide on. Nonetheless, I made a fun and fluffy pom pom rug and thought I would share my experience. It is great, because you can customize the colors and textures of the rug as well as the size and shape! With some pre-made pom poms, a bit of yarn for some custom ones, and a rug mat you are in business to make this great pom pom rug! We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
SUPPLIES: -Pre-Made Pom Poms -Yarn (In Varying Colors and Textures for Custom Poms.) -Rug Mat (I bought a 5x8 just in case) -Scissors -2 Toilet Paper Rolls (if you are making any of your own poms)
STEP 1: Cut the shape of your rug Cut your rug mat to the size of the rug you want to create. You can also cut it in a shape if you want! You can even make a hexagon rug if you so wish! (Come to think of it I should have done that!) Set this aside for now.
STEP 2: Make your own pom-poms If you are making any pom poms for your rug, you will need the next 10 steps. If you are just using pre-made pom poms, you can skip ahead! The first step for making your own large pom is to grab 2 toilet paper rolls and, while keeping them together, wrap yarn around the rolls a bunch of times. Depending on how fluffy you want and the yarn you are using (thick or thin) you can wrap it anywhere between 16-40 times.
STEP 3: Cut the string Once you have a nice mound of yarn on the rolls cut the rest of the skein or ball loose.
STEP 4: Cut a new piece of yarn Cut a random strand of yarn separate from the roll you just wrapped. (about 7-10" should be good)
STEP 5: Place the yarn between the rolls Take your yarn strand and feed it between the two rolls of toilet paper and wrap it around the pile of yarn.
STEP 6: Tie it together Tie the yarn together on one side, but don't create a knot just yet. Wrap it between the toilet paper rolls again and tie it in place, but again hold off on creating a knot.
STEP 7: Cut the loop Slide one of the toilet paper rolls out from the yarn and cut down the center of the loop that is left.
STEP 8: Secure the pom pom Take the other toilet paper roll out from the other side of the poof and tie the strand that is wrapped around the center into a tight knot.
STEP 9: Cut the other loop Now cut the looped side of the poof down the center as you did with the other side.
STEP 10: Trim and shape Now trim the poof so that all the strands are even and consistent with one another. Leave the tail on! Do not cut the strand wrapped around the middle as it will serve as the anchor to tie the poofs to the rug mat.
STEP 11: Tie on your poofs Now for those of you who are only using pre-made poofs, here is where you can join in the fun! Grab your pre-cut rug mat and place your poofs to make sure you have enough to cover the mat and also that they are positioned as you would like. One by one use the tail and feed it through the grids in the rug mat and tie it in place. Be sure to tie a nice tight knot so they stay in place. Keep tying all the poofs until you are complete. The back should look like the picture on the right.
Now make sure there are no empty spaces and that they are all arranged in the way you would like!
This thing is so nice and fluffy! I have got to keep it somewhere nice and clean so it stays as cute as it is right now.
I want to make one for every room in the house! This thing is so stinkin cute!

• Jeanie

How do you clean them

• Shirley

Thinking of how durable rug will be. Would like to make for bathroom and it would get alot of traffic. Maybe make and use just for a decorative rug??? Thanks!

• Mro48112817

do you back a pom pom rug when finished

• Birdie

I was thinking of drizzling hot glue across the back to hold it together and keep it from slipping but don't know how that would fare in the washer. Any thoughts?

• Louise

Lovley looks grate...another must do off mine.. Thank you for shareing

• Cindy Holman

We’re buying a house soon. I’m going to make one for my side of the bed. Going to use beach colors. Super cute!