Leila Farmer
Leila Farmer
  • Grand Portage, MN

Painted Concrete Floors

We recently moved into a unfinished house and with the budget eaten up by other things there wasn't room for flooring immediately so for the intern I decided to paint the existing concrete. It's has been a month in a high traffic area and I love it so much I may not cover it up! All it takes is a mop and some pine sole to make it look like it did they day I laid it down. $1.50 stencil from the buck store, $100 in paint and $100 in Diamond Finish Varathene (did 10 coats) and flooring is done is a 400 square foot room :)
Finished Floor
Finished Floor
Base layer I just rolled on.
Base layer I just rolled on.
To start I swept and mopped the existing concrete.
After it was try I taped a border, just straight lines, I kept it simple.
Stencil.  Just picked it up at the buck store.
Stencil. Just picked it up at the buck store.
This was the tedious step, took hours!
This was the tedious step, took hours!
I would bring my lap top into the room with me and watch tv shows while I did it to make the time go faster.
My husband would help me if we watched his shows :)  We watched a lot of Mountain Men once I learned that!
My husband would help me if we watched his shows :) We watched a lot of Mountain Men once I learned that!
The last stencil, a happy moment!
The last stencil, a happy moment!

• Suzanne Campbell

Can I buy from you your used stencil?? I would like to do the exact same design, because it will match my wrought iron doors and other wrought iron designs I have in my home I'm remodeling to a T! Yours is so perfect an just beautiful!

• MaryAnn Bailey

How big was your room and how much paint did you need?

• Gabrielaasanza

Can you help me please with the template of the floor or how you make it?

• Lplants7

Did you have to keep cleaning the back of the stencil?

• Vag6565947

What type of paint did u use and did u put a glossy top coat on it

• Tricia Jackson Jones

$100 in paint and $100 in Diamond Finish Varathene (did 10 coats) as listed at the beginning. Varathene is similar to polyurethane and is a clear finish. That is a lot of coats of the stuff.

• Julie

How did you prepare the concrete floor before painting? Thank you!

• Bla3720751

I dont find the stencils to buy, in the buck store dont find, can you tell me the adress to buy thanks

• Cyn1655526

Royal Stencils is one place online or Cutting Edge Stencils.com is another
  • Gra14113585

Hi, I live this floor, did you roll the paint on the stencil or did dab/brush it on? Was there any paint on the underside of the stencil that bled through. It looks great!! What were the color that you used. Thanks Carol

• Shawna Bailey

Looks like she dabbed it on

• Susan Boothe

You can do either. The trick to stenciling is to get the extra paint off the roller/ stencil brush by off loading the paint on a rag.
  • Annette

Would this work on an outdoor concrete patio?
    • Den13228876

I'm sure it would if you used concrete sealer after your through. I sure plan on trying
    • Lilpixiestixxx

Use concrete paint and a good outdoor sealer{ several coats} and renew the sealer yearly it will be fine!
  • Nada

It does look great , the stencil do not move while painting?
    • Susan Boothe

you can use blue painters tape (just a swatch at the top and 1 side will hold it) or you can purchase a can of spray stencil adhesive, meant to hold the stencil in place.
  • Vvenkatesh

Where can I buy the stencil?
  • Upn33454997

I want to do this where do I get the stencil

• Val Layton

Mikeals craft store has them and our dollar store did but only 2 versons and not big enough for a floor.I did use one on a cabinit and used water based art paint then sprayed it with an aresol setting spray.

• Stephanie Newton

My back porch is painted. Starting to peel. Can I just sand those peeling spots and then paint again? Is there something to put on it to extend the life

• Monique

Did I miss something or did you not state what kind of paint was used? Important info to have!!

• Val Layton

Oil base would be best on a floor.Then coat it with a clear finish and it will last forever.

• Monique

Special cement paint?? Can you be more specific? Thanks!

• Pakeeza Jabeen

what kind of paint to be used on floor

• Veronica

What kind of paint did you use and did you seal it after if so what seal did you use?

• Rachael

Love the STENCIL! You did an excellent job, it’s beautiful, been trying to find this stencil and having difficulty finding it.

Any info on it? Designer? Manufacturers? Name/Design of it???

thank you

• Ioana Tisler

I love it!!!

• Val Layton

I did something similar but my stencil was a leaf design and did boarders around it.The floors were plywood.Used oil base paint and varnished it.Turned out pretty good and lasted a long time