My Little Bathroom Makeover for $50

So we moved into our home and I hated the guest bathroom it was painted so many different dark colors. But with the expense of moving and other areas needing redone I only had about $50 to make this work.
my little bathroom makeover for 50, bathroom ideas
This is the before
I taped everything off because I was going to....wait for it...spray paint my countertops.
I sanded the old countertops which were discolored and yellow in spots. I then wiped clean and then wiped again!
I used stone spray paint by rustoleum. Start with one light coat first. Make sure you shake that can!
After second and light third coat.
I then sealed it with this... 3 coats. Now it does not make the surface smooth but it does seal it nice and makes the counters clean up nicely. It definitely does not leave a rough finish.
Cabinets and framing the mirror next. Painted the cabinets with white chalk paint, less prep involved. I did remove the doors and drawers. The middle ones you see here are fake drawers. Wipe everything with TSP before painting.
All done. I sealed the cabinets with water based varathane, 2 coats and distressed my cabinets.
Finished vanity
I added these Goodwill find lights ($3) and painted the walls a soft sea foam green and grey in certain areas. Paint left from previous owner.
This is above the toilet, walls are grey. This cute little light fixture was in a throw away box on a curb of stuff I had picked up a while back, it was a dark brown trim. I taped all the glass off and painted the trim silver. The light before was just a plain some light.
Before and after.

• Danielle Murph

What did you do to the floor???

• Sev6787613

Method used to frame mirror

• Ml*13745267

We went to Home Depot and found some moulding strips and Hubby measured and mitered the ends - painted and beautiful frames for those large hotel style mirrors!

• Sev6787613

Did he glue or nail them around frame

• Vpn07

She said she glued the frame right on top of the mirror with liquid nail

• Iwa11687529

Could this also be done with kitchen counter tops?

• Janice Lucia

what is tsp

• Peg12827491

Crazy good! Did you make the mirror frame?

• Peg13514618

I just search for TSP and learn that is toxic and you have to work with caution.Did you power wash or rinse your cabinets after you use TSP?I love what you did,our bathroom needs remodeling too,thank you for inspiration.

• Cathy Slaby Sawchak

Would this technique work on kitchen counter tops? Your bathroom counter tops look fabulous!

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

Thank you, I am sure it would work, but I would seal with something that is food safe and use a cutting board

• Aurora

What kind of countertop did you have prior to this? Just curious if this can be done to old marble tops?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I think as long as you prep it can be used in any surface.

• Kathy Walters

Marvel can be polished and made to look good again. This counter toonis cultured marble. If can also be polished but if it is too old (I am talking 29 years for old) and the polished surface shows signs of wear that cause it to not have a nice smooth surface, then painting like this makes sense. For the marble, as asked, you could consult the Rustoleum website to see if their paint would adhere. Seems a waste to paint a natural stone though.

• Kathy Walters

Type-o's and auto-correct issues on answer above: Marvel = Marble counter toonis = counter top is 29 = 20 Sorry about that.

• Carol

That's okay Kathy. I always proof read before I send and happens I see Michigan is spelled wrong! It happens to the best of us sometimes. Have a Great New Year everyone!

• Helene Sorrentino

what was the co untertop made of ?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I think ceramic

• Kathy Walters

It looks like cultured marble which is a type of acrylic poured into a mold. They have a nice surface when new but scratch relatively easily. This is a very common vanity prefab type vanity surface found at Home Depot and Lowe's and can also be custom created by companies that specialize in this business.

• Aaj10387822

How did you apply frame to mirror?

• Kay

I noticed the mirror is different in the pictures. Can you please tell me what you did to frame mirror and how much!?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I had some scrap trim boards. We just cut and used liquid nails to stick in place

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

There are beautiful crown molding and trim boards available but they can get expensive. I was on a tight budget and used what I could find and what I had. There is a store here in Arizona that is called Habitat for Humanity that sells all kids of used building supplies and you can get things for a really good deal. Maybe look in your area for something similar or Craigslist has a free section, I look there for stuff all the time too.

• Kristine M. Holmgren

And the backsplash that appear I the 'after' picture?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

The backsplash was stone sprayed and the frame of the mirror sits on top of that

• Carol

I think Habitat for Humanity is all over the US. I live in Michiana and we have them here. Really good place to shop and help others while you're doing it! Young lady you did a fantastic job on only $50.00. I need you around my house and boy do I have a bathroom you could do! It's in such a bad way I'd have to $100.00 at least!! Again, beautiful job Misty!!!

• Jackie B

You did a fantastic job for such a great price. I too love to do projects and see how much money I can save. Did I miss the price of the faucet?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

Kept existing faucet

• Kay

Thank you for the response, I think you did an amazing job. Thanks!!

• Deanna Maidwell

How long has this lasted? Has anything scuffed the sink or countertop??? And was the TSP used before you painted the countertop? I am wondering too if I could use this on tile on the wall...

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

This was just done. I will update. I did search Pinterest and others have done this and they have said it has lasted. The Tsp was used on the cabinets to get them really clean before painting. The only reason I did this on the countertops is because if it doesn't work I will replace, I really had nothing to lose.

• Lydia Wood

What is TSP?

• Sue

TSP, which stands for trisodium phosphate, is a powder you mix with warm water and use to wipe down your walls before painting. It acts in three ways to improve your paint's stick-to-itiveness: degreaser, cleaner and deglosser. (found on google, was curious too.)

• Deb

Trisodium phosphate

• Lydia Wood

That's Spic 'n Span! My mother used it for the kitchen floor. Thank you. Next time, please use the complete name with the abbreviation in parantheses behind. It makes it very easy, and one doesn't have to ask a question.

• Barbara Buchan

Be sure to rinse well after using it; you can buy in liquid form, too

• Barbara Lewko

did the paint cover the grain in the oak cabinets

• J.b. kelly

What brand of taps do you have

• Gardeninggeek

Bathroom is lovely! I always read abt people finding throw away things on the curb. Never in my 73 years have i seen any such thing. It would be fun as i love to recycle things. Maybe i need to live in a big city?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I drive around on bulk trash pick up day and I look on Craigslist "free" section a lot. I actually live in a small rural town. I make trips once or twice a week and bring home stuff. I am currently in the process of building a workshop/warehouse because of all the stuff I have. I am a true upcycler, I very rarly but anything new.

• Michelle

Was the countertop a Formica material or Corian type material before you spray painted it?

• Jean Illingworth

When & how did you frame the mirror?

• Vpn07

Is the frame attached to the mirror or around the mirror to the wall. If it is attached to the mirror, does it fit flush to the wall?

• Bronxgirlcl

Great look. I was wondering what the original counter top was made of. I have the faux granite which is shiny so I don't know if this would work but I'd love to try.

• Judith

How many cans did it take for all coats?

• Eileen

I also have a top with the sink the same as counter top. Will the paint hold up in the sink area with all the water? Is the sink harder to clean without taking off the paint? Did you use water base poly?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I'm not sure how it will hold up yet. I will update in a few months. Right now it wipes off easily no problems. I did not use water base as it can start peeling. I wish I would have used epoxy resin but it is pricey.

• Eileen

Thank you, I will have to check back to see how it goes for you. I wouldn't be doing anything until summer anyway. BTW, the whole room looks great!

• Cari

what kind of glue did you use for the frame on the mrror?

• Mary Hofstra

Will that spray paint also work on Formica counter top? My bathroom counter tops are about 50 years old and definitely need an update, but money is super tight!

• Amyhilesmaynard

Back in about 1995 I painted my kitchen countertops (Formica) with the Rustoleum stone spray paint and then sealed them. We sold the house in 1999 and they were still good then.

• Tammy Bevell Rice

It works. I've done it. Same prep with light sanding, then spray your light coats. I also used TSP after sanding. The counter has not chipped in almost four years of everyday use. My sink does not have a metal band.

• Mary Hofstra

Our bathrooms also have round drop in sinks with a band of metal all the way around. Wondering about painting the sinks and the metal bands as well. Any advice on what to use on those surfaces? Thanks for all your help! Love hometalk!

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

The stone paint says it covers metal...that being said if the band comes off I would take it off and maybe repainted it metallic

• Janet

What does TSP stand for?

• Shirley

was the top a cultured marble ?

• Patty

Is the spray paint for counter top called fleck stone textured spray paint.

• Anita Minton

How is this holding up? Do you think it would work in a kitchen?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I don't know as it was just done. If you use it in the kitchen seal with something that is food safe and use a cutting board.

• Sue

How did you come up with the exact size mirror for your bathroom wall?

• Maria Cintron-Rooks

I see your floor is now a different color. Did you paint your floors also? I love the new look of your bathroom. Fantastic job!

• Janice

What was the paint colour? Looks fantastic.

• MarGal03

I want to frame out my mirror, too. Was the metal strip at the bottom of the mirror a problem when you added the wood?

• Cvw11602523

My mirror just had metal clips at the bottom and top, the wood trim went on over them without any gaps.

• Melanie

After you finished the vanity, with the sealer, is the surface smooth and did you spray or brush the paint on the vanity? It looks great!

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I brushed with a sponge brush. It is not rough but it is not smooth like the counter before. It just softened the feel of the stone

• Kathy

To make sure I understand your answer Misty.......before you put on the varnish, was the painted counter brushed on or sprayed on? I assumed that it was sprayed on but your answer to Melanie sounded like it was brushed on like the varnish was.

• Marsha

I want to frame our bathroom mirror but do you use a special glue to place the wood against the mirror and if so what kind? I am sure you need a glue that can hold up in a room with a lot of moisture. You did a beautiful job and you would never know you painted that counter top.

• Dianne Pees

What does TSP mean? Always looking for what to clean wood cabinets and floors with!

• Kathryn

WOULD THIS PAINT HOLD UP ON A KITCHEN COUNTER. MINE LOOKS LIKE MASONITE OR A LAMINATE.

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I'm not sure as this is the first time I have tried this, the only thing is if you are using it in kitchen I would seal it with something that is food safe

• Kelly Worrall Piers

A few years ago I painted my kitchen counter tops with a melamine paint. I followed the directions and let it cure for about a week. They have held up Excellent and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quick and easy update!

• David-Jeanie Yarbrough

Did you distress your cabnints before sealing them?

• Debra

You spray painted the sink. How is it holding up to daily use?

• Shawna Bailey

I'm wondering that too.

• Barb Orthmann

My guess is it would hold up as well as Giani Granite product- it's essentially the same thing-paint andpoly. I did that in the kitchen and it held up great

• Sjones6091

I did my bathroom in a similar manner 2 years ago and used Minwax Polyacrylic gloss and it is holding up just fine. I clean it at least weekly with clorox 2 wipses and have no issues

• Renata

Great Job, It is beautiful!

• Kathi Davis

It looks GREAT,you did a wonderful job.Love those lights and the colors you chose.

• Jeanneorrison7

Did you remove the old mirror and replace it with a framed one? or what?

• Did you paint the sink also with the same paint you used for counter top ?

• Sus13888427

Beautiful Bathroom! The before looks like mine. What material did you use to hold the Frame on the mirror?

• Gina

What type of material was your vanity top? Was it cultured marble?

• Amy Wernick Braden

I have the same before lights in the bathroom and basically have the same after lights except they are 2 sets of three to go over each of my mirrors. Did you have to do anything special with the electricity since it is different lighting?

• Lisa Schneider

COULD YOU USE THIS ON CERAMIC 4"X4" BATHROOM TILES?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I'm sure you could, it would probably look like stoned tile with stone s grout lines. I would still ruff it up.

• Patty Navarrette

I must tell you — This Looks Beautiful..! How does the paint hold up in the sink with cleaning it and just everyday use?

• Laurie

Love this look and I want to try it. How long ago did you do it and is the surface still intact and look new. Can I clean it with my regular bathroom cleaner?

• Stacy Ross

What about water in sink.. dont you think it would peel?

• Ter15444478

What about the framed mirror no way this came in at $50

• Fho3960399

I bought the spray paint to do this but a little concerned about sealer holding up. Anybody know if a better sealer to use for sinks?

• Shawna Bailey

The sealer is meant to be used on countertops and sinks, why wouldn't it hold up?

• Shawna Bailey

• Fho3960399

Where does it say that? It's a polyurethane. I don't believe it's designed for sinks

• Denise Hardy

If you think that some finishes won't 'hold up' you can always use either a 'resin' or 'lacquor'

• Vivian Reilly

You need to call a professional sink and tub re-surface, so they can tell you what is needed for those surfaces, or you will get into a world of hurt and could need a new tub and sink, or live with something real ugly. Think about that. before you make a mess you'll regret and be in for big expenses you won't want to spend.

• Fho3960399

No big deal for me. It just a very small sink. I've been wanting to replace anyway so I can always do that if I need to.

• Meem Kaplan

As a life long DIYer, that sink would change in a couple of years anyway. Every time I see a new sink project here? I would be thinking, "where can I do that next"?

• Jea16647506

I recently painted my laminate cabinets with chalk paint and was advised to seal with polyacrylic b/c it is better for humid, wet and greasy areas. Would you do the same thing for bathroom painting too, since it's a very humid area?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

Since I was painting the cabinets white I advise to use a water base sealant, if you use an oil base sealant on white or any light color paint it will yellow over time

• Angela Woods

Do you think the paint and sealer idea would work on a bath tub too?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

Idk...a tub gets ALOT of use.

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

Idk...a tub gets ALOT of use.

• Vivian Reilly

There are professional people who do tub and sink resurfacing. It looks good, but is not as durable if it's an enamel surface. You'd have to ask about other tub and sink surfaces.

• Nancy

There is a product on the market that refinishes tub and tile. More than one. I have used them before and they work well. Not sure how long they last, as ours was a short term (1 year) temporary fix prior to replacing tub and tile. It held up well for that time.

• Angela

I did a tub once with the DIY kit from Lowe's and it looked great for the 7 years I had that house. Since then I have used it on sinks and vanities here and there but it is excellent. Very cost effective and my only suggestion is to read all of the directions carefully and if you are not comfortabkle or are nervous then practice on something just to get the feel of it. I did get a large drip that dried before I noticed it and it took quite a bit of sanding to fix it. But it did show me that even a huge mistake is not the end of the world and it can be fixed.

• Mitzi Gaynor

Lowe's sell a kit by Homax it's inexpensive - follow the directions completely 👈👏👍

• Debbie

Make sure if you are using a tub/sink resurfacing or repair kit that you ventilate well and use a respirator mask. Just saying....

• Dianne

I always find spray paints to have a residue that fills the air around your project and settles on everything within 4 feet of it. Even with a bath exhaust on. You aren't away of it until you come back and see the fine film everywhere an you hurry t get it off. I used Rustoleum cabinet re-do kit to put on my tub and I used a sponge roller to apply. I put two coats on with the supplied protector with the kit after drying. The top was great and nothing happened to it but the tub part started to dilute and loosen and come off in spots when water added. I had sanded all over before putting on the finish. I scraped and sanded to get it off. Then, I used Rustoleum spray bathtub finish. What a mistake. I had a film on my new walls and tile and water ruined it also. It took me 5 days at about 5 hours to get off all the two finishes. The original cabinet finish under the pray was the toughest to get off using a razor blade. What a pain. Then I saw Rustoleum made a paint for appliances. The tub was down to the original and I used the sponge roller with only one coverage needed and no glaze. It stayed, had a small texture to it, shined, and held up to water so I did the tub surround around as well. It is 100% new looking and with new fixtures, I am very pleased with the results. I am never using spray paint indoors again.

• Nancy Hoge

Did you sand the cabinet before painting ?

• Lisa House

Since you had everything taped off why not just spray on the poly? Is there a difference in how it holds up to use?

• Placida Padilla

You added molding to the mirror, but didn't say how u affixed it. How did u stick it to the Mirror ?

• Shelby Christiansen

How has your sink held up? We did this painting method and the paint started to come up the first time we used the sink. Do you think we didn't have enough polyurethane on it?

• Robin Wolff

I tried this and absolutely love the outcome of my vanity top. Do you think it would work on a wall? I was going to paint one wall a different color but I would rather spray paint it to match the vanity top

• Nancy

How bad were the fumes from the painting process in the countertop? Did you Need to wear a mask?

• Susan Burns Mahar

How long did it take for counter top to dry? So pretty!
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

It depends on how heavy you spray it. I would spray a light coat, let dry overnight then repeat the process until you get the coverage you want.
  • Cha31739967

what a wonderful job! I have a few questions if you don't mind
    what grade of sand paper did you use?
    How long did you sand the counter top and sink for?
    I have a the old sea shell shaped sink do you think this still would work?
    how has your sink and counter top been holding up since you done this?
    What would you do differently if any?
  • Cha31739967

what grade of sand paper did you use?
    What would you do differently if any?
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

120 grit. I used my sander so omg. I would probably used epoxy resin to seal. They held up for a year but I recently replaced the counter
  • Cha31739967

what grade of sand paper did you use?
    What would you do differently if any?
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

I would use a 120 and just rough it up. I am sure it will work. It is holding up BUt I would have done a different sealer as the polyurethane is yellowing A little in different places. I am actually in the process of removing the paint and doing faux cement.
    • Cha31739967

would love to see the update regarding the faux cement. so would have used the expoxy resin instead?
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

Definitel. I will post an update. I believe if you follow me on this page you will be able to see when I post.
  • Val9982598

Would that work on the bath tub
  • Marilyn Cappadona Curson

What were the counters made of that you painted?
  • Mary Lane

After a year, how did it hold up?
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

It held up, but I did change the counter to a pallet top with a vessel sink last month. You can see the update if you go to my profile.
  • Lho28486268

Being new to all of this, what is TSP you referred to for cleaning the cabinets?
  • Darlene Chinchar

What kind and color of Rust-Oleum paint did you use? You did a very nice job! I like it really well
  • Angel

So the paint comes right out of the can looking like granite?
    • Random Chance

Yes, and comes in various colors. Shake very well, test spray on cardboard or scrap wood to get a feel of how it works.
  • SLCBrenk

Looks fanrastic. Does paint or sealer cans say anything about this type of application? My concern is releasing chemical in to the water of a filled basin when washing face or hands over an extended period of time
  • Laurette

Was the original countertop cultured marble or something else?
  • Bjh26700784

How did you trim the mirror?
  • Melody Ostvolden

will it chip
    • Pat Winter

The poly urethane coating is as hard as a rock if applied right. I think you'd have to use a hammer to chip it.
      ( there are very few products that aren't compatible with the polyurethane finishes but check first just to make sure yours will work)
      Make certain your item is completely dry and free of contaminants before you use it.
      It's important to cover completely and make sure the tap / sink area is sealed right to the edge of the openings for reinstalling. Then there's no place for water or other contaminants to seep under urethane.
      It might seem like a lot of work and very time consuming but if you want an excellent, long lasting result from any project, its worth the patience. good luck!
    • Karen

I did my bathroom counters and laundry room counter (3 in total) about 10 years ago. They've completely held up.
    • Val

Karen, Thanks for your input. I was wondering about the lasting effect.
    • Val

Misty, Your new bathroom is beautiful!!!
      I love the fact that you used ‘recycled/repurposed‘ things for several items!!
      Thank you for sharing One of the best projects I’ve run acros.
    • Dahlia Walsh

Great inspiration. Looks so doable for one person except taking out th plumbing.
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

using a good sealer is key.
  • Melody

Does the paint come out looking just like that? Dotted?
    • Tami Brooks

Yes, you have to keep the spray can well shaken but it sprays out speckled and texturized like a rock.
    • Susan Snyder

Yes, it really does! I’ve used it to spruce up my badly-weathered, outdoor, plastic picnic table. Came out great, and is still going strong 4 years later.
      The others are definitely right when they say you should keep shaking the can as you go along. It allows the different textures & colors to remain evenly distributed inside the can.

ps: I store the table in the garage during our cold & snowy winters. And I, too, used a polyurethane finish. The table spends the other 3 seasons outside and needs frequent washing, thanks to environmental dirt/dust, and spills from food and drinks. A couple drops of dish soap on a sponge and a good rinse with the garden hose make it good as new.
    • Melody

Thank you for answering my question
    • Suzanne Brodie

Could this technique be used on kitchen counters?
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

I don’t think it would hold up to kitchen use unless you try epoxy resin to seal.
  • Sandy Yee

Can this be done on a bathtub. I tried resurfaclong with spray resurfacing spray and it didn’t wor. It was dusty and powdery and washed off. I cleaned real well before applying. I sprayed light sprays a little each day for 3 weeks. Still came off. Any suggestions
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

No. I am currently redoing a claw foot bathtub and prep is the key to everybody project I have ever done.
  • 19698379

Wow. What a difference. Is that the same mirror with a frame added?
  • Susan

I have fake marble counters in bathrooms, would your method work on this surface?
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

I am sure it would, however If you look at my profile you will see the updated counter, which I love much more. I did not do it at first because of expense.
  • Jo

My countertop is not stone ... Formica, I think. Will that work for me?
    • Deb Estrada

My husband have painted our countertops twice. It lasts about 5 years. No body can believe we painted them! We used a kit from Lowes. Dark brown primer, then different specks/chips that were coffee colored. Then about 4 layers of boat varnish.
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

I woul not do the stone spray on a kitchen counte. Look up faux cement counters, If you like that look.
  • Cheyenne

That’ s gorgeous. I wonder if I could do that with my kitchen counter tops?
  • Sengan4305

Would this work on my kitchen counter which has tile on it ?? Or can you tell me how to cover it up?? Thank You in advance for your help.
    • Michele Mcmahan

I'm getting ready to paint my shower with boat paint. Self leveling, water proof, a prep pain, but less than tearing out and redoing in tile (already did that!). So your tile counter. Maybe a test? Make a 2x4 section of 'counter" using backerboard, tile, grout. Let set a week or so, then fill in grout lines with bondo?, maybe cement filler, worked fast to spread flat but still wiped off tile face to keep surface flat. Follow directions on whatever filler you choose, then try boat paint. A few weeks experiment on a faux countertop will give you a idea if it will work for your kitchen.
  • JoAnn

You painted the sink as well. How will that hold up to water? I am very interested in this process.
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

It held up for a year but then I changed it again. I changed it to the way I originally wanted to do it. If you look at my projects you can see the update.
  • Jody Martin

What is TSP and verathane?
  • MA G-R

Really pretty, How is the Poly holding up since you did it?
  • M.rivera

did you change the floor tiles also?
  • Sandra Watson

You may have answered this already in all these comments but 232 are a lot to go through so I have this question: I notice you have painters tape over the holes in the sink where the faucet was removed. Why did you put this on the top section of the sink instead of underneath. Does it have anything to do with the fitting of the new faucet into the holes which when painted may add enough depth that the fittings will not be compatible?

Sandy .P.S. In middle of project and ready to paint so would appreciate your reply As soon as convenient.

• Tina Welch

what material is the countertop and sink?

• Lja28291465

Did you paint the sink too. I love this

• Kristinerudnick

WOW your project turned out beautiful.

Do you know anyone that has done this before. I’m wondering if the countertop and sink will hold up under all of the use it gets. Will the finish start to peel and wil more coats of polyurethane have to be added?

Just a thought. You could make use of the two stationary doors on the vanity. I bought tiltout kits at Menards for mine and like them. I keep toothpaste in one and toothbrushes in the other. That frees up the counter and is more sanitary.

Love it!!!!!

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

Thank you! No. I do not know anyone that has done it. It held up for a year and then I changed the countertop to match my decor more. You can see the updated bathroom on another article I did here on Hometalk. I did not use the tilt outs as it is a guest bathroom and does not get much use.

• Taun P.

Kristinerudnick I love your idea for the tiltout with the fake draw fronts. I'm in a rental now but saving for future home.

• Lyn27352662

My home was built in 1986 and the guest bathroom counter top is a seamless linoleum looking product. Would your process work on it?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I am sorry, I am not sure. When I did mine it looked so horrid that I had nothing to lose.

• Lyn27352662

Thank you for your reply, I'm feeling the same way. I think I will give it a try and if it isn't successful I will go back to the original plan of replacing the top and sink with a pre-made, one-piece sink/counter top.

• Courtney Pearce

What is “TSP”?

You started you wiped your cabinets down with this first...

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

It is a cleaner. You can buy it already mixed or buy the powder and mix yourself. You should find it where the painting supplies are.

• Rae

Misty

I live and die with mys TSP. Could not to without it!

• Brenda

Tri-sodium phosphate

Sold as TSP in big box and hardware stores

• HandyGirl

You can use a de-glosser on the cabinets instead, if TSP is not available. Just be sure to read the label carefully--some have noxious fumes.

• Bren

TSP is trisodium phosphate. It is a powder that you mix with water to use as a cleaner/deglosser/degreaser. When using this product, please read the label. This is very strong stuff and needs to be used carefully. Always wear gloves and eye protection before using this product.

How is it holding up?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

It held up for the year I left it, I did change it out to something I liked much better. If you look under my projects you will see the updated version.

• Jixyrocker711

What a stunning update! I would never have thought to use the spray stone treatment but love the idea! I love the various colors of the stone sprays & often wondered how it would look as well as hold up with other applications of it. Do you think it would do well in a kitchen?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I do not think it would do well in a kitchen or heavy use area, I used it in a guest bathroom. I did update. If you look under my projects you can see the update

• Jkr22097881

I'd really like to know how the sink itself held up. How often is it used? Great idea I would use if I know it wears well.

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

It held up for the year I used it but updated to something I liked much better. Look under my projects for the update.

• L

How much did this project really cost you? I'm on a tight budget- I don't think I can swing a sander!

• Jessajanet Sherry

Looks great but how is it holding up over time???

• Dee

I might try this. Interested in how it holds up over time . How about using Marine varnish?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

It held up for your the year I kept it, I changed it out to something I liked better. You can see the update if you look at my other projects.

• Judith

absolutely beautiful......but what are you going to do to the floors?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

Floors are tile, have to stay that way until I refloor the whole house. We are planning on wood plank porcelain tile.

• Maxine Kulhanek

I am wondering if the fast drying polyurethane Clear Gloss would work on painted floors as a

protection? Redid our utility room with white floors and two big blue stripes and would like a top coating of protection on them. Thank you for any advice

• Carol

I like the wall color . what is it ?

• Janis K Harrison

The cabinet base is seafoam, the drawer/door color is white, distressed a bit, and the "upper" color is a soft grey. I myself would have lightened the grey just a bit, but I love the over-all color pattern.

• Zandra Gonzalez

Can this be done to a crushed granite vanity?

• GG

Did I miss how you framed the mirror? Glued on actual mirror or what?

• Janis K Harrison

I think she did -- glued trim onto the mirror. You'd need a good strong glue. I think it looks great, and I'm going to tell/show my sis about this trick.

• Maria Grisaro

I have same question. Opened product list that shows Cabrera marble base molding. Maybe this was used? I see no adhesives listed though.Wonder how cut and attached

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

Liquid nail

• Maria Grisaro

How did you trim the mirror? Does the molding have a rabbit like picture frame molding?

• Denise

I dodn't understand how the paint makes the countertop look speckled - like marbled stone. What makes the spots all over?

• Kimberly Davies Maykish

There are speckles in the paint. It gives the surface a stone look. Shake the can to keep them spreading evenly.

• NancyMaria

It is already in the can! They have lots of color and textures to choose from.

• JaBro

I love this renovation! I have the same “cultured marble” sink that is showing its full 19 years. I’d love to use the spray paint on it. How has it held up? Would this work for a master bathroom, or is it best kept for guest baths.

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

It held up for the year I kept it. I ended up updating it and if you look in my projects you can see the update.

• Laura Jaquays Fawley

I won't be able to afford to update again next year, do you think it would have lasted maybe, four or five?

• Joanne Fowler

Do I need to sand countertop if not discolored?

• Lisa West

Yes always sand before painting.. it roughs up the seal the manufacture uses. Plus you get a better adhesion as well so the paint or what ever your using sticks and it helps to prevent pedaling later in the future. Of you dont sand for what ever reason use primer to help with adhesion and primary helps to hide stains.

• Gray

What is TSP

• Alice

I paid to have this done, my question is Is it supposed to be sticky? If I lay a towel it sticks to the countertop. Please let me know.

• Diane

No, it's not, I would call the worker. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Donna

Looks fabulous! 👍🏻

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

No, it should definitely not be tacky in any way. Sounds like not enough dry time between coats or weather can affect the drying.

• Lisa West

Beautiful. Great job. Isnt great to make some thing your own? I do.

• Barb

What did you use for frame around mirror and how did u secure it

• Diane

We used trim boards from Home Depot when we did ours, their employees will let u know the best glue 2 use.

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

Yes, just trim boards. Liquid nail to attach.

• Donna Landrum

It’s beautiful!!!

i want to paint my kitchen cabinets what is TSP???

• Jan Desmond

Trisodiumphosphate. Hard to find sometimes. A cleaner.

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I get it at Home Depot, Lowe’s, Walmart...you can get it in a power form or already mixed.

• Stevie Johnson

' Tri Sodium Phosphate. A very strong cleaner. Wear rubber gloves, protect eyes. Very irritating to skin. A granulated powder you mix w/ water. Find it in paint dept of places like Lowes, Home Depot, paint dept at Walmart, maybe, & hardware stores or full service paint stores like Sherein Williams. May also be in cleaning products section. Not flammable. Little odor. But keep away from kids & pets. Excellent for cleaning years of built up dirt & grime. Kills mold. Removes old loose, powdery paint. The kind you can rub off onto your hand from the outside of a house that prevents new paint from adhering. I use it & a 3M pad to remove the gooey residue left by paint stripper after stripping old woodwork or furniture. Better job than anything I have ever tried. Good for cleaning bbq grills, stove

drip pans & oven racks. Soak an hour or even overnight in hot water. Spic & Span in a box-if you could find it-is a milder strength of TSP good for general cleaning. if you are using TSP on a piece you hope to save the finish of, mix it weak & test. It can remove some old finishes. I have even mixed it in a paste to strip old varnish or other clear coats when I could not take the work outdoors or get adequate ventilation in the area. Results vary. Sometimes easy. Sometimes not. But worth a try for safety's sake:) No stripper I have ever used removes everything easily. A good scrubbing to get your work squeaky clean before you ever apply stripper will help. Strippers don't always remove dirt & grease as well as they do old finishes.

• Darla

I agree, TSP is wonderful for a lot of things. I keep some on hand for cleaning all the time. Have even used it in washer with heavily soiled clothes. Just run another rinse cycle to make sure all of the TSP is gone from the clothes. Works well for so many things but be sure to rinse it off of floors or surfaces that are just being cleaned as it can leave a white haze.

• Readith

What about the floor?

• Justene McKelvy Overstreet

Do you have any chipping of the paint?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I kept to for a year no problems, keep in mind it is in a guest bathroom and does not get heavy use. I ended up going a different route after having it for a year, something that fit my decor more. If you go to my projects, you can see a project titled my bathroom update.

• Karen

What is TSP? What you cleaned with.

• Darla

I am wondering if you shouldn't seal the counter with a waterproof substance like marine varnish or something. I have thought of painting my countertops but am concerned the paint won't hold up to the wet and ware.

• Judi

Looks great!! I'm interested in finding out how this held up.

Also, would this work on a porcelain sink?