DIY Wall Mural With a Homemade Projector

My daughter loves the show Supernatural and asked for a poster of Castiel's wings. Well I decided to do one better. I'll just paint them for her.
I have been doing a lot of artistic painting lately and usually do everything by hand. This project was a little big and I wanted to make sure the dimensions were ok. I don't have a projector so I built my own for this.
Using an old box, a good flashlight and some plastic from an old presentation folder, I drew the wings out with sharpie.
Then cut a hole for the flashlight and improvised to adjust the height.
Tape your image to a hole cut out of the front of the box and insert the flashlight.
You'll need to level and adjust your image with moving the flashlight closer or further away for size.
It's hard to see in this photo, but here is the traced image in pencil on the wall.
I used a fat molotow marker filled with Midnight's Blackness UnicornSpit to outline the wings.
Then I hand painted in the rest with Unicorn SPiT.
I added shading to the wings with Weathered Daydream and White Ning.
The tie is done with Blue Thunder.
Once it was dry I touched up the areas I needed to and using a wet rag simply wiped off any drips from the wall. UnicornSpit is water based and as long as I don't seal this wall it can be washed off when she gets tired of it. You can seal yours with a light spray of clear sealer in the sheen that matches your wall finish.

• Unicorn SPiT  (www.unicornspit.com)

Jen Burns

• Rita.gindi

Great idea, I just need to understand a little better; there are 2 holes? One for the flashlight - round hole, and the back a big square cut out you taped the drawn presentation plastic to? Thanks!

• Tracy Dailey

Where did you find this image?

• Jen Burns

My daughter actually sketched this image from a combination of a few t-shirts she has with Supernatural/Castiel on them. I used her rough sketch as an outline.

• Jeannie Carle

I went to a Mexican rest in town which has big "hacienda windows" painted on their walls with scenery in them. I wanted one SO badly and was trying to figure out how to draw it on the wall for painting - I'm only barely a "fair" artist - I could do it on canvas - but this is a large wall! Thank you SOOOO SOOOO much for showing me how to do this!

• Patty Anderson

Greetings to a fellow Ravenclaw!