DIY Before & After Bathroom Sink and Ceiling Upgrade

We badly needed to remodel our bathroom sink and ceiling but didn't want to break the bank. Here is how we remodeled our entire sink area on a budget!

DIY Sink Makeover

Check out this 30 year old sink!

Here's what you'll need for this project:

• faucet
  • mini mosaic tiles
  • epoxy mortar and grout
  • plastic primer
  • acrylic paint
  • sponge
  • cedar wood
  • drill
  • screws

Remove the Faucet and Hardware

Remove the Faucet and Hardware

I found a new faucet and drain at an incredible price. Double check the hole sizes in your sink so the new hardware fits.

Tile

Tile

Mini mosaic tiles! These came in squares on a mesh making them easy to work with. We used epoxy mortar and grout to install all of the tiles. Epoxy mortar and grout is:

• Stain proof
  • It inhibits the growth of stain-causing mold and mildew
  • Has antimicrobial protection.
  • Ideal for installations at wide temperature ranges.
  • Uniform color—no blotchiness or shading.
  • Easy to maintain, cleanable to the original color.
  • Tough, durable, and crack resistant.
  • Chemical resistant
  • Non-sagging

It is not as difficult as it looks to do this.

Check out the water damage on that mirror!

DIY Tiled Sink Makeover

The finished sink! It's been over a year since we tiled this sink and it has been extremely easy to keep clean. All dirt and grime roll off of the grout with only water and a cloth.

Easy DIY Tiled Sink Makeover
Bathroom Wall

It's time to start the wall, ceiling, and mirror frame. Those boards above the mirror are attached to the studs in the wall.

Paint Texture

Paint Texture

It's texture painting time!

Paint

Paint

I used a plastic primer and then gave my circuit breaker panel a textured metallic paint job using acrylic paints and a sponge.

Painted Panel
Painted Bathroom Mirror

Install Cedar Wood

Install Cedar Wood

I used Japanese cedar wood for the wall, ceiling, moldings and baseboards. The boards running across the ceiling are held up by the ceiling molding and not actually attached to the ceiling. The molding is secured to the studs.

*Use caution drilling into your wall and always be cautious of electrical wires.

The boards on the wall above the mirror are attached by the ends to wood secured to the studs under them.

Door Frames

I built these frames out of cedar wood and wood molding I bought from my local wood shop.

Wire the Lighting

Wire the Lighting

I wired two lights bulbs into the ceiling on antique looking wire and wrapped the wire around two pulleys I found on sale.

*Use caution working with electricity.

DIY Lighting
DIY Bathroom Makeover

Stop by Bryan's Workshop on Facebook to see what I'm working on next.

30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop/

• Barbara Riccio

How did you keep the ceiling boards up, while putting up the molding, if the boards are not nailed into the original ceiling?
    • Bryan's Workshop

Hey Barbara! You'll install molding to one side first. Leave enough space for the wood that'll go up against the ceiling. The ceiling wood will slide across the top of the molding. I installed the second side of molding at one end, so it was easy to slide the ceiling into place. I held up the ceiling by pushing up the molding and when all of the ceiling slats were in place, I secured the second molding. The extra wood trims came later. I hope that all made sense. I'm working on an easy how to that should be finished soon.
  • Barbara Riccio

Looks beautiful but how did you keep the boards on the ceiling up, if theyre not nailed to the original ceiling?
    • Bryan's Workshop

• Brenda Lahey

Hi Bryan. I started something like this for my counter top; however, never finished as was so difficult. Do I use grout to stick tiles in sink? Thanks as absolutely beautiful!

• Sara

You could use an epoxy, over the top of the grouted tiles as this would make it completely water proof. You'll have to do some research to work out which brand of marine epoxy to use, the epoxy can also be used to completely fill the grout lines in the tiles so the whole surface would be smooth and easy to clean.

• Larsen Scott

Gee, that sink will be fun to keep clean. A truly bad idea!

• Bryan's Workshop

It's been a couple years since we did this and it cleans effortlessly. Immaculate is a good word to describe the sink now! Epically Immaculate! Immaculate on epic levels!

• Donna

Love it! You explained everything to a 'T'. Where does one get Japanese cedar wood, that's gorgeous?