Recycled Flower Garden Art

$5
1 Day

I have a friend, who is moving to Florida, and he stopped by with a bunch of odds and ends and asked if I could use them for crafts. I looked at the stuff... clueless... wondering what I would do with it all, but I said yes. That was about two months ago and until now, I hadn't really done anything with any of it. Last week, an idea came to me for some garden art inspired by some of the stuff he dropped
Be sure to watch the video above for detailed directions! Directions: 1. Paint the dowel a light green and allow to dry. 2. Insert the dowel into the bottom of the styrofoam ball. Remove, add glue and re-insert. 3. Put some glue on a paper plate or something you can throw away. Dip each pushpin into the glue and insert it into the styrofoam ball. Your goal is to have the styrofoam ball completely covered with pushpins and glue. The glue covering the styrofoam ball allows you to spray paint it without having it eat away and dissolve the styrofoam. 4. Allow to completely dry. 5. Cover the stem (dowel) with tape or cling wrap. 6. Paint the pushpins blue (or whatever color you want!). 7. Cut your cans into long leaves. Leave a tab at the bottom to be able to attach it to the stem later. 8. Take tape and tape one side of the leaf (this will protect it from the other color). Spray the light green. It may take a few coats and allow to dry completely. 9. Remove tape and now put new tape on the painted side. Paint the dark green and allow to dry completely. Remove tape. 10. Using a combination of glue and wire, attach the leaves to the dowel. You can leave the wire color, or after the glue is dry, you can place tape around the leaves and carefully spray paint the wire. 11. Allow to dry and remove any tape. That's it! Your first Spring Flower! Here are some highlights:

recycled flower garden art
Collect old pushpins.
recycled flower garden art
Get a styrofoam ball.
recycled flower garden art
Dip pins in glue and stick into the styrofoam ball

recycled flower garden art
Prime and paint it.
recycled flower garden art
Cut leaves from pop cans.

recycled flower garden art
Paint leaves and attach.

recycled flower garden art
Then you have a beautiful Spring Flower!!!
recycled flower garden art, crafts, gardening
I also did an Artichoke Garden Recycling craft, which you can find here: http://craftklatchwithmona.blogspot.com/2013/07/recycled-artichoke-garden-art-craft.html

• Empty and clean pop cans
  • A lot of pushpins (color does not matter)
  • A styrofoam ball
Mona  ~ Craft Klatch

• Geri

will I cut myself or will others cut themselves with the 'leaves'?

• Jane Hauger

The first curious child or admiring neighbor who can't resist touching the leaves is going to get cut. Try a green beverage bottle and melt the edges a bit or maybe a green vinyl tote, etc.

• Donna Marie

Do the pins rust?

• Shawna Bailey

Enough layers of spray-paint should totally seal it from the rain.

• Debbie.wozniak

for the flower. Could I use golf tees?? I have 100s of them !!!