Easy DIY Cake Stand (Ikea Hack)

Want a fabulous plate to show off your home baked goods? It is so easy to make your own brilliant cake stand, just using stuff from Ikea.
Not only is the cake stand really affordable but you can make whatever design you like as long as you can find it on a paper napkin.
You don't have to use stuff from Ikea but almost everything you need is there and affordable.
You will need a glass plate, candlestick holder and paper napkin. I use a paper napkin from Ikea. However, you can get paper napkins in loads of fabulous designs like my favourite Marimekko.
For my cake stand, I used this Ikea napkin with the fish design. As the fish design was distinctive I decided to carefully cut it out.
I stuck both fishes from the paper napkin face down to the underside of the plate using a decoupage glue Mod Podge click here to see the one I used
I wanted a silver cake stand so I then covered the base of the glass plate with 2 layers of tissue paper in silver. Again I used Mod Podge for this.
Depending on what napkin you use you may just want to cover the base of the plate with tissue paper in another colour or spray paint it.
When you have finished decoupaging the glass plate, trim any overhang and seal it with a final layer of mod podge.
Next, I spray painted the candlestick base with silver paint to match.
Finally using a hot glue gun, I stuck the candlestick to the decoupaged glass plate.
Don't forget to check out my blog post for more detailed instructions.
Decoupaging with napkins is great fun. I have even decoupaged a whole bench before with Marimekko napkins click here to see it.

25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Paperdoll

It's a fun project.....but why fish on a cake plate ?????
  • Patti

Hi Claire I really like this project. Can i use any brand of napkin or must it be the Merimekko. Are they expensive? Your bench is also magnificent. Thanks for sharing this project. Have a Happy New Year.
    • Dee

Christmas Tree stores has ag reat selection of napkins. Just check in at different seasons to . Prices are great.

• Augustine

Is this food safe?