Blue Jean Plant Stand

$60

Now that the holidays are over, our bay window area is looking a little sparse. I'm starting to crave spring and while we're still a long way off, a little more greenery indoors can't hurt in the meantime!
blue jean planter, gardening
Today I'm demonstrating an adorable plant stand that literally stands and is easy to make if you follow my step-by-step tutorial. All it takes is a pair of blue jeans, scrap wood and few other things from your local second hand shop. You can probably upcycle things you already own for free!

This project was inspired by my husband who made the first one out of his jeans and boots after he left the construction industry (which you'll see at the end of this post). I thought the planter was so much fun that I've been making them occasionally as gifts ever since.

Although the one I'm demonstrating for this tutorial is just a small tyke, you can make this planter in any size you desire! I got my clothing at my local Value Village; it's a great resource if you want to start small and don't have young kids that have outgrown their stuff. To start, you'll need (in no particular order):
blue jean planter, gardening
- blue jeans
- a pair of shoes (high top sneakers or short boots are best)
- oval container (it can be plastic or metal; the shape is more important)
- 2×3’s or 2×4’s used for wood studs
- scrap piece of 1/4″ – 5/8″ plywood
- Wood countersink head screws (at least 1 1/2" long for this project and longer if you use taller jeans)
- two plastic veggie bags (recycled from the grocery store)
- panty hose (a great opportunity to upcycle the ones with runs in them)
- pool noodle (you can substitute soft foam or batting)
- quick set cement (I used the kind for setting posts that sets in 10 minutes)
- paint stick (for mixing)
- tape (painters and/or packing tape)
- belt (optional)
- recycled plastic container (to mix the cement)
- cotton batting
- plant material

Measure the jeans from the hem to just above the crotch area and add some additional height for the shoes (my measurement was 14 1/2"). Cut two 2x3's to the length you measured. Drill through the centre of one end using a drill bit that's big enough to accommodate the width of the wood screw.
blue jean planter, gardening
Draw an oval shape on the piece of board and cut it out with a jigsaw or band saw. Since this project is small and the planter won't be too heavy, I've used 1/4" plywood but you'll want a heavier piece for bigger projects that are going to be loaded up with plants.
blue jean planter, gardening
Place the wood studs into each shoe and set the oval on top to determine the spacing of the legs. Drill two holes into the oval platform (mine were 3 3/4" apart).
blue jean planter, gardening
Attach the oval platform to the wood studs. Countersink the screws slightly into the platform so they won't stick out and interfere with the planter once it's sitting on top.
blue jean planter, gardening
Next, cut a pool noodle in half. I used it because I had it, but soft foam or batting will also work for this next step too.
blue jean planter, gardening
Tape one half of the noodle to the flat end of each stud (this will be the front).
blue jean planter, gardening
To see details on adding cement to the shoes, head over to my blog.
blue jean planter, gardening
Once the shoes are full and before the cement is dry, lift up the tongues, lace the shoes up and tie them up so the cement can finish setting. You can also cut back the plastic bags that extends above the top of the shoes.

Once the cement is fully set, remove the oval piece of wood temporarily. Add the pants onto the legs, then reattach the wooden oval platform.
blue jean planter, gardening
As I was screwing the right leg back on, I decided to swing the foot out a little to strike a more casual pose. Pull the pants up and insert the planter so it sits on top of the wood platform. If this pair of jeans didn't already have a snug waste band, I would typically add a belt at this point to tighten the jeans around the planter so it doesn't shift.

You could glue the planter to the platform if you wanted it to be permanent, but I like the option of being able to remove it if I want to switch out the plant materials in it.
blue jean planter, gardening
The back end will look a little saggy so I filled it out by stuffing some cotton batting into the area between the planter and the seat of the pants.
blue jean planter, gardening
It's all done after you add the plant material! All the garden stores in our immediate area are closed so I picked up an arrangement at our local flower shop for the reveal.

Here she is all decked out with her greenery! The only thing that would improve on this project would be if it could walk itself to the sink to get a drink of water, but that may be a little beyond our skillset :)
blue jean planter, gardening
I think the small ones are SO adorable but my favourite has got to be the pair of bride and groom planters I made for our wedding to adorn either side of the aisle at our venue!
blue jean planter, gardening
Head to Birdz of a Feather ~ Craft Rehab (at the link at the end of this post) to see additional step-by-step pictures and some more examples of planters we've done! If you liked this post, please pin and share!

This is my first official full craft post in my new craft studio (which I kicked off last year half way through my dog bone gift basket project) and there's plenty more ahead in 2017!

My next craft post will be a fun indoor water feature with step-by-step instructions that you won't want to miss. You can follow us here on Hometalk and/or our own site. You can also follow Birdz of a Feather on:

Pinterest: http://bit.ly/BirdzPIN
Facebook: http://bit.ly/BirdzFB
YouTube: http://bit.ly/BirdzYT
Instagram: http://bit.ly/BirdzIG 

• Blue jeans  (second hand store)
  • Shoes  (second hand store)
Birdz of a Feather

• Linda Hudson

About how much does the blue jeans planter cost to make

• Birdz of a Feather

It could be as low as zero if you already have kids clothing that you can upcycle (or get from someone who has kids), left over scrap pieces of wood and cement from other projects. I can't really give you a price because it all depends on what you need to buy and if you can find sales, etc. You'd have to source the items in your own area to determine cost.

• Vikatoria Kabakoro

i intend to do the same but outside, what would you

suggest I do to the jeans?

• Margherita McCallum
      18 hours ago

I made a sitting blue jean planter, plus planted in the runners as well. I sprayed the jeans with water sealant spray i bought at Canadian Tire or Home Depot. It works well. I've had mine out for 3 summers now, but spray them again every October when my annuals are done. Like i said, i planted in the runners as well. I placed my pot at the waist then just used a bungy cord around to secure it. Mine are in a seated position, one with its legs crossed, the other both feet on the ground. I filled the upper thighs with dirt packed in, not loose and below the knees I used large sponges, but you can use what you want to fill them in, not newspaper!

• Lori

Can this be outside also

• Laura Jaquays Fawley

I have made shoe and boot planters for outside and not waterproofed them. They wear the same as the material made out of.

The jeans will weather from there rain and sun but I think that might be cute!

• Georgia

Oh nooooo! These are too cute for words (clowns creep me out!). I particularly love the wedding decor ones! What a wonderful imagination you have! These will definetly be on my radar for fundraising ideas for my grandchildren's school and my own home!! Love, love, love this idea! Kudos to you!!

• Miss Denise

Ahhhhhhhhhhh…….Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Just great! Who would have thought....Thank you for sharing.