Blue Jean Plant Stand

$60

Now that the holidays are over, our bay window area is looking a little sparse. I'm starting to crave spring and while we're still a long way off, a little more greenery indoors can't hurt in the meantime!

Today I'm demonstrating an adorable plant stand that literally stands and is easy to make if you follow my step-by-step tutorial. All it takes is a pair of blue jeans, scrap wood and few other things from your local second hand shop. You can probably upcycle things you already own for free!

This project was inspired by my husband who made the first one out of his jeans and boots after he left the construction industry (which you'll see at the end of this post). I thought the planter was so much fun that I've been making them occasionally as gifts ever since.

Although the one I'm demonstrating for this tutorial is just a small tyke, you can make this planter in any size you desire! I got my clothing at my local Value Village; it's a great resource if you want to start small and don't have young kids that have outgrown their stuff. To start, you'll need (in no particular order):

Head to our blog to get the complete list of items needed. Measure the jeans from the hem to just above the crotch area and add some additional height for the shoes (my measurement was 14 1/2"). Cut two 2x3's to the length you measured. Drill through the centre of one end using a drill bit that's big enough to accommodate the width of the wood screw.

Draw an oval shape on the piece of board and cut it out with a jigsaw or band saw. Since this project is small and the planter won't be too heavy, I've used 1/4" plywood but you'll want a heavier piece for bigger projects that are going to be loaded up with plants.

Place the wood studs into each shoe and set the oval on top to determine the spacing of the legs. Drill two holes into the oval platform (mine were 3 3/4" apart).

Attach the oval platform to the wood studs. Countersink the screws slightly into the platform so they won't stick out and interfere with the planter once it's sitting on top.

Next, cut a pool noodle in half. I used it because I had it, but soft foam or batting will also work for this next step too.

Tape one half of the noodle to the flat end of each stud (this will be the front).

To see details on adding cement to the shoes, head over to my blog.

Once the shoes are full and before the cement is dry, lift up the tongues, lace the shoes up and tie them up so the cement can finish setting. You can also cut back the plastic bags that extends above the top of the shoes.

Once the cement is fully set, remove the oval piece of wood temporarily. Add the pants onto the legs, then reattach the wooden oval platform.

As I was screwing the right leg back on, I decided to swing the foot out a little to strike a more casual pose. Pull the pants up and insert the planter so it sits on top of the wood platform. If this pair of jeans didn't already have a snug waste band, I would typically add a belt at this point to tighten the jeans around the planter so it doesn't shift.

You could glue the planter to the platform if you wanted it to be permanent, but I like the option of being able to remove it if I want to switch out the plant materials in it.

The back end will look a little saggy so I filled it out by stuffing some cotton batting into the area between the planter and the seat of the pants.

It's all done after you add the plant material! All the garden stores in our immediate area are closed so I picked up an arrangement at our local flower shop for the reveal.

Here she is all decked out with her greenery! The only thing that would improve on this project would be if it could walk itself to the sink to get a drink of water, but that may be a little beyond our skillset :)

I think the small ones are SO adorable but my favourite has got to be the pair of bride and groom planters I made for our wedding to adorn either side of the aisle at our venue!

Head to Birdz of a Feather ~ Craft Rehab (at the link at the end of this post) to see additional step-by-step pictures and some more examples of planters we've done! If you liked this post, please pin and share!

My next craft post will be a fun indoor water feature with step-by-step instructions. If you don't want to miss another unique project, follow Birdz of a Feather here. You can also follow Birdz of a Feather on:

Pinterest,

Facebook: http://bit.ly/BirdzFB

YouTube: http://bit.ly/BirdzYT

Instagram: http://bit.ly/BirdzIG 

• Blue jeans  (second hand store)
  • Shoes  (second hand store)

29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Birdz of a Feather

• Vikatoria Kabakoro

i intend to do the same but outside, what would you

suggest I do to the jeans?

• Lori

Can this be outside also

• Laura Jaquays Fawley

I have made shoe and boot planters for outside and not waterproofed them. They wear the same as the material made out of.

The jeans will weather from there rain and sun but I think that might be cute!

• Melissa Litton

This is the cutest thing ever! I bet this would be the best Christmas gifts too. I'd really love to try to make one of these but any suggestions on how I could do a little girl instead of this one of the little boy?