The Shabby Nest
The Shabby Nest
  • Saint Charles, IA

Painting my countertops

I had recently grown tired of my black countertops. Knowing new counters weren't 't in the budget I decided to paint them. I first scuffed them up a bit then primered them. With zinssers primer. I then put two coats of Behr premium paint in snowfall. I decided to make them look like marble. I used a dark grey craft paint and a couple different size craft paintbrushes. I made the veins in a sorta 45 degree angle across the counter. Working on small sections at a time. I used a large softening brush or glaze brush lightly dipped in the white paint watered down and softened the veins to give them that watery marble look. This takes some practice to get the right look so you might want to practice first. If you mess up you can always fix it! Don't let it scare you! After I completed it all I sealed the counters with three coats of water based poly. This is my third time painting counters and have never had any problems with them holding up. I tend to be a cutting board fanatic! So what are you waiting for? www.shabbygalsnest.com
This is the before and after.
This is the before and after.
Here is the kitchen put back together
Here is the kitchen put back together
painting my countertops, countertops, kitchen design, painting
The Shabby Nest

• Brenda strattman

What were the counter tops made of??

• G. Robinson

Thank You for sharing your wonderful idea! Your kitchen is so beautiful and I'm absolutely BLOWN AWAY at how crazy amazing you painted your countertops! Girl, this is ART!!!
    I'm wanting to "attempt" this project.. Ha!Ha! I have to laugh at myself for thinking I can make that happen!!!!
    I believe you posted this a while back, so I wanted to ask how well it has held up for you? Since it's the most used (and abuse) part to the heart of a home, I was just curious how well you are enjoying this mind blowing piece of ART...
    Thank You again for sharing your kitchen with me.✌🏼❤️🐾🐾
    • The Shabby Nest

Well thank you! It has held up pretty well other then one spot where I left a metal container next toy sink that held towels. It rusted onto it pretty bad. We are getting ready to replace them as we are redoing the kitchen. Also found out no abrasive cleaners.
    • G. Robinson

Ahhh! I didn't think about the cleaning (scrubbing) part... that gives me something else to think about. Thank You so much for your useful help and Thanks again for sharing your ART with me. You have amazing talent!!!
      ✌🏼❤️ 🐾🐾 ~ginger

• Karen

I really like this idea. Your counters look great. Thanks for the post.!

• Sharon

Wow! What did you use for the pale blue backsplash? I need to replace mine.