Old Door Headboard

$45

Up-cycled an old solid wood door and created a queen sized headboard. Found an old solid wood door ( 30 x 80) at my local Habitat for Humanity. Measured 62 inches on the door, cut the remaining off using a circular saw. Took the piece of door that we cut off and then used a hole saw in order to try to fill the old door knob hole.
Bought an old solid wood door at my local Habitat for Humanity.
Cut the door down to 62 inches using a circular saw. Saving the left over piece.
Used a hole saw to cut a circle out of the left over piece.
Filled the old door knob hole with the wood we cut from the leftover piece using the hole saw. Used wood glue to hold it in place.
Cut 2 - 24 inch legs using the 2 x 4. Attached them by using L brackets and a metal brace. Also using wood glue. I then sanded the door and legs and used wood filler on any deep scratches and the old door knob.
I cut the 1 x 4 x 8 down to 65 inches. I used wood glue and 2 inch brad nailers to attach to the headboard. Used clamps to hold in place while the wood glue was drying. (You'll also notice the old door knob hole is filled in and smooth)
Baseboard molding was then cut and attached to the headboard using 2 inch brad nailers. I have to admit, this is the step where I needed my husband to help out with the miter cuts. For the life of me I just could not get the right angle with the miter cuts. So instead of wasting perfectly nice moulding, I had my hubby do this. ;) ( thanks honey!!)
I filled in the seams with paintable caulk and also used wood filler for all the brad nailer marks. Then sanded smooth and painted the entire headboard & legs with 2 coats of Behr interior semi-gloss enamel ultra pure white (paint & primer in one)
The finished product.
It is now installed in our guestroom!
Thanks for stopping by to look. While you're here, don't forget to check out my other projects. 😋

1 - Behr quart high gloss white paint &...

• Mary Needham

Love this headboard. Just wondering why you didn’t use the other side of the door, so that you didn’t have to fill in the door knob hole.

• Jo

The wood on the other side is smaller than the 2 that were used

• Diane

Living in old house. Hollow doors with original glass knobs. Would love to incorporate the knobs. Would a hollow door work??

love what you did!!!

• Cristina Addie

Hi Diane, I have to be honest with you... I am not exactly sure how a hollow door would work. I really don't think it will.

• Christine

The solid wood door is so heavy, the 2 x 4 and L brackets are good enough. I was worried about this. And is this a queen or king size? just wondering. I have a king bed. I have two doors I got from an older home my husband helped a widow change out her front door and my daughter caught my Husband before he threw them away.

• Cristina Addie

Hi Christine! The headboard was made for a queen size bed. The door isn't has heavy as it looks. I was able to lift it alone. Good luck on your project. ( BTW... great name!  )