Winter Candle Vignette - A Repurposed Project

Don't you think winter is the best time to enjoy candles? I certainly do! A big, cozy blanket, a cup of hot tea, a good book, and a few shimmering candles - just perfect!
The project started with an old Christmas cookie tin that had been stashed away with our Christmas decor for a few years. When I pulled the boxes out this year to put the decorations away, I decided to finally do something with it. What better to do than repurpose it? It was perfect for a winter candle vignette.
I started by giving it a good sanding with coarse sandpaper - just enough to remove the finish and create a good surface for paint.
Next, I gave it a couple of coats of Rustoleum's textured spray paint. I love these textured paints and Desert Bisque was perfect for this project. Visit the blog for my best tip on using textured spray paint.
Once the paint was dry, I gather a few supplies: votive candles, a few scrap wood blocks, play sand, a handful of pea gravel, and a little wood glue.
Using the lid as a base, I put the candles in the bottom of the tin and moved them around until I found an arrangement I liked, then varied the height by adding a few wood block pieces underneath a few of them. For even more height, I used a bit of wood glue to attach two blocks together for a few of them.
I used sand as a filler, to stabilize the votives, and to hide the wood blocks.
Finally, I sprinkled in some pea gravel to add a bit more interest. Sea shells would be a nice addition too.
I love the gentle, warm light this vignette casts in the room. And with blustery winter weather on the horizon, they'll be a perfect companion for that snuggly blanket!

To Work With My Hands

• Tinyshoes

Love it..thanks for sharing...simplisty is always the best!

• GMS

or put the battery t lights inside the votives