Custom Track Doors

Our open bookshelf had become a case of clutter. We decided sliding track doors would close it off and add a focal point to the room.
It was time for a change. My open bookshelf had become an eyesore and a catch all. Although I loved my colors in the living room, I also wanted to transition to a cooler fresh look. With a bookshelf in a mobile home being a nonstandard 92 inches, no store bought track kit would work. Plus we needed two doors, half doors and that would have been a hefty price to order.
Thankfully my husband was able to fabricate a custom set that cost much less and fit our needs. The track was 1 x 2 flat bar 1/4 inch thick from a local steel shop, this was also used as the support straps which were screwed onto the doors and welded onto metal cable pulleys. He used pulleys with a housing around it so he could weld directly to it without inhibiting the pulley itself. The top was cut off from the photo you see here, you can find the pulley that works best for you at a hardware store, there were a few options, but this is what he felt worked best for him from the supply that was available to us. The track bar was attached to the wall using 4 lag bolts and collet nuts as a spacer.
Notice the space created by the nut to give the pulleys room to slide.
As he worked on the doors I began to paint. We used Sherwin Williams Marshmallow from the HG TV line. The entire room has received a make over and my next post will be an updated home photo tour.
The doors were assembled with 1 x 4 3/4 in bead board and 1 1/2" by 1/8 " thick angle iron was used for the trim. You will notice because of the space from the wall and the center remaining open, we elected to extend the doors on the center side to create a box effect.
The bead board was stained to add accent and contrast to the white paint.
The center remains open and each door slides to the center for access to the books.
New hardware was a welcome change from the 1979 original pulls and now ties into the industrial metal look of the iron bar.
Our book shelf has all the function without the clutter!
Before and after. Follow Junkflirt on facebook and instagram.
After a few questions on the post I am adding a photo of one of the doors open. Easy access to either side is gained by sliding to the center.

• Anna Ibarra

Do you have more details instructions on how you added the iron trim to the doors? For those of us, or me who need step by steps! 🙂.

• Mary

In order to open the new doors (which are fantastic!) do you slide them to the middle? I see there is no wall space to slide the doors over to. If you slide them to the middle, then you can see only a portion of the shelves, correct?

• Shannon O- Junkflirt

yes Mary, one slides to the center and then you can get what is behind it, so either the center or one side is open at one time.

• Dxfrye

I love this idea, sooo many ways to expand upon the basic idea... Cheap plywood, lattice strip trim plus stencils, contact paper designs, & on and on. How about simple closet track sliders, or even just simple slider tracks.... Wow!

• Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

I think you did a very nice job, but I don't think I like it. It makes the room look much smaller. I guess I've always liked the look of bookshelves.