Debbie Harris
Debbie Harris
  • Montgomery, AL

Turn a Spare Bedroom Into a Closet DIY

So many people have said they want my closet that I decided to share the photos. I designed and built it myself in 6 days including cutting the lumber, staining and installation. Plus 1 more day to measure and design my pieces. Check it out. Then watch for the plans and notes on my blog at www.autumnaire.blogspot.com within the next two weeks. What do you think?
turn a spare bedroom into a closet diy, bedroom ideas, closet, diy, home decor, storage ideas

Debbie Harris

• Leona Michelle Mattox

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I so need to make some changes to my PURSE ROOM. I have been stuck trying to find a way to organize 300 + purses along with shoes and a closet that literally just collapsed from overfilling it with clothes. Now I just have to convince the hubby to go buy me all the supplies I need. Do you mind if I show him your pics of your shoe collection? maybe then he might calm down about me having 300 purses? You think?

• Debbie Harris

LOL! Absolutely!!! Show him anything you want, you've got to take care of the wardrobe and purses or it will cost him a lot more in so many ways!!!

• Debbie Harris

Leona make sure you see the post with the plan instructions on my blog. They will help and this was easy peasy to build!

• Tiffiney

Leona you just made my day! ROFLOL I wish my husband was home. He complains of my shoes.. but u just got rid of over 1/2 of them last year! I hardly have many left. I been looking at a couple pair online. THEY JUST DON'T GET IT DO THEY🤔😉😆 & NEVER WILL I GUESS. I just wanted to say thanks for the giggles! Debbie I love this idea, I just started turning our spare into a craft/work out room.. He'll kill me if I change my mind again🙄🙄😉😆 H as ve a great day ladies!! Blessings!!

• Tiffiney

Mind you, I had turned it into a tool room for him like 7 months ago. Then told him to add on outside for tools that I needed the room😣 Yeaa he'd kill me I say time to move this stuff too.. I need an addition outside for an extra & this a closet.. 🙄🙄😉 LOL

• Debbie Harris

My husband and I have an agreement... he has the outside, I have the inside.

• NancyMaria

Wonderful. We have this small room just off the bedroom and I stupidly put the computer in there instead of making it a closet....regrets haha

• Debbie Harris

@NancyMaria Well... You have to use the space how you need it. The good thing is you can always make changes.

• Andrea Lee Morgan

Love your project. We had already decided to do this when we looked for a 3 bedroom home for our retirement. The smallest room has the biggest closet and seems like the best choice, but it also has a big window that presented a design problem. We have to be able to access the sill to lift up the window to open plus at one side is the a/c and heat register and the other side a very short wall. There is now a triple dresser with a collection of beautiful men's and women's jewelry and small storage boxes. We had thought of open shelves on wheels, but are afraid that sunshine will fade clothes or hats. My husband collects Western and baseball hats and I, purses and scarves. Shoes, purses, scarves, belts and boots will go into long existing closet. Your pictures gave me the idea of installing hanging bars out from the walls to utilize the center of room. Thanks!

• Debbie Harris

Did you see the window access doors cut into my middle-of-the-room section? Also, they make A/C register air flow tops that point the air out from under anything, even a dresser. I really enjoy my closet. Hope you enjoy yours!!