Asked on Jan 8, 2017

Can I Convert This Camper to an Enclosed Trailer??

MarkRandallB. Enne
+23

I was looking at taking an old camper and converting it into a enclosed trailer (gutting it and creating rear door). I can't find it anywhere so what do you guys think??
    William

I have seen cargo trailers converted into campers! I see no reason a camper can't be converted to a cargo trailer. It already is capable of handling the weight, so there wouldn't be the need to reinforce the frame. Less work involved in converting it into a cargo trailer. Just creating a rear door. GO FOR IT!
    • Nate
      Nate

awesome. That is what I thought but I haven't seen anyone do it. If I go through with it, I will take pictures!!
  • 169756
    169756

I'm not sure what you mean by enclosed. Are you totally changing the concept of a travel trailer and turning it into something else? This would be a fabulous project to just redo as a camper but you probably have another use for it. Hope it goes well, no matter it's use. Good luck!
    • Nate
      Nate

I would be just removing the interior guts to make it "empty" and be like a enclosed Empty trailer. Also, I plan to cut off the rear and add a big door
  • Ann
    Ann

I was going to turn a trailer like this into a craft room but then we got a new house! We planned to gut it, make a work table area and plan a huge amount of storage for the space. Only planned to keep cold water to the sink and a way to heat it. In my imagination it looked awesome!
  • Chris
    Chris

The only things you likely need to worry about are adding strength when you remove the wall as a trailer doesn't have much framing and second, the weight of what you will carry. Have a professional determine load for the frame.
    • Nate
      Nate

Where would I find a proffessional that specializes in this? Thanks.
  • Chris
    Chris

Try a trailer sales office, either a travel trailer site or a utility trailer site ad they often have repair people who could advise you.
  • Chestef
    Chestef

Good plan. Check out the floor, the sheathing may need to be covered in plywood to strengthen it. I had a similar camper and floor rot was taking over.
  • J Jo
    J Jo

I'm not positive, but if you contact your state's Vehicle & Registration Department, they might have Codes which would spell out what reinforcements should be present for load-carrying. I wish you well with this project.
  • Patricia
    Patricia

I would put siding on it so it looked is like a tiny home.
  • Pallet Man
    Pallet Man

I would be concerned about the weight limits of the running gear. It likely has a weight label that explains the max towing weight. The gutting would reduce the empty weight but the question is how much weight the trailer can safely carry. Changing the weight distribution by gutting it may make the trailer tongue light when empty. This condition would make it unsafe to tow when empty.
  • Karen
    Karen

I think it would be wonderful to renovate the travel trailer!!!!! Also, RETRO is in!!
    • CecileH
      CecileH

Glamping is all the rage, clean it up, spruce it up, toss in some dazzle and sell it to buy your closed in trailer! Check out Sisters on the Fly of neat ideas!
  • Ronnie Brello
    Ronnie Brello

It would be an easy DIY project. Just use a blade for cutting through metal to get the outside shell to height then drop top down to required height and trimming off inner wall first. Next run a metal strip around join by using screws that are used for roofing which will not come loose.The door would be the hardest .I would probably get a caravan place to do that. Nice coat of paint to the new trailer and you will have a great retro talking piece. I find most projects are scary before you start but when you are into the job it becomes a fun project.
  • 3cookies
    3cookies

The inside can easily be gutted, gas lines removed or capped off, same with plumbing. The electric will run differently. You have electric to run inside but you also have lights that plug to truck when being towed...brake turn signals, reverse lights and running lights. When cutting in the door in back you need to be mindful of the elements you need to keep...such those lights and maybe interior lights. Just some thoughts. I think the process wouldn't be too difficult for a handyman though.
  • Sandra Allen
    Sandra Allen

Here is a way to get ideas. Chris is right...check out the free advice at trailer sales centers. But, having done this three times now I can attest to some of the advice. Secure the flooring and make sure you are not covering up bad wood. It's like a cancer, it will continue to rot. Also, find the specs for the camper and see where the wood frames are inside, so you can cut between them and not into them. It will also give you the wiring specs so you don't damage it.
    Other than those two things, gut it to your needs and when you are done...please SHARE with us???

• J747725427
    J747725427

Sure can. Get a Welder to make the cuts and get a carpenter to frame and install new doors
  • Ply14355843
    Ply14355843

I'm sure the conversion can be done but will the cost out weigh the benefits? You will need to build in a lot of structural integrity around the rear door area to keep the walls from twisting sideways at the top. This would be a weakness that would make the large door hard to open. The flooring and support would be another concern as you don't want the load to bend the floor. Others have already discussed the weight capacity of the frame and suspension and the balance issue. Retro camp trailers are very much in demand right now. You might be able to trade for an enclosed cargo trailer or sell yours for enough to get one. Good luck with your endeavor.

• Rod Howerton
    Rod Howerton

I'm wondering if you made good with your thoughts and plans. I plan to do the same thing. I got my Idea from an article I saw on line showing a guy load his 2 seat vintage sports car into his.

Plus I have seen other campers converted, below are the only pictures I have of someone else doing this.
  • Randall
    Randall

I did that and drove it 4300 miles with 8000 lbs including the trailer weight. I took a trailer just like that, gutted it, added 6x6 rear door, mated 2x3s all the way around the inside, added 4 sheets of Luan for strength, cross braced it, filled it with atv's, furniture and dishes and drove from MS to AK. $800 trailer, 400 tires, $700 new brakes, $100 new lights, $400 wood for 28feet and 8000 lb capacity. Would have been 10,000 to buy that. Now it's a storage unit waiting for next move.

• Randall
    Randall

I should have taken it down to the frame and built a new box on it for the amount of time it took me to do all that's and fit the door to it.

• Randall
    Randall

Pic of gutting it.

• Mark
    Mark

any updates on this? found it while planning something just like it (on a smaller camper). would love to hear anything on outcome (good or bad). thanks!