Fireplace Makeover

Brick fireplace makeover with stained wood.

Just moved in and this above was just not going to work. If you look close it has cracks in it repaired half a**ed. It's the focal point in the room. We were getting new carpets so, I decided to tackle the FP before they were installed.

I used $2 wood strips and concrete nails. I hammered them in at the mortar joints, then took down the mantle and used a grinder to take off/out some bricks to make room for electrical.

I went to a local landscaping place and picked up pieces of slate. I needed to cut some with a grinder. The hearth I made myself using 2 of the slabs. I needed to do in it stages, but it turned out ok. I used mortar to set them in place.

The shiny look in this picture is just from a soap wash, but I obtained the look later by using Murphy's Tung Oil. (found a video on youtube.)

I ran all my electrical and set up for TV and surround sound and the box I needed to build to hold up my system. I spray painted the strips black in case I ran into any gaps in the wood so they would not see through.

Went to Lowes and bought 20 pieces of 3 different sizes of pine. All 8 foot in length. I got 6 different stains and stained each piece. I then started to install them completely random. Put up pieces up in lengths of 2 ft to a full 8 ft pieces. Used a chop saw to cut to desired length. just went with it and eyed up the colors.

The black spot on the bottom was a test to see if I was going to use paint or wood on the bottom. I ended up using wood.

I used a brad nailer to attach each piece. This will be an easy dismantle in the future if I decide to do that.

Yup, that is an air return in the picture for my heater. Odd place for it right? Just my creative side...I made these two doors to match the wall. The box also functions as storage for remotes or anything.

I only used regular stain without the poly. After the wall was up I coated it with one coat of poly to give it a little shine.

The fireplace insert on Ebay was like $350..ya no thanks, I'm on a budget. I used sandpaper to scuff the brass and sprayed it with high heat black. looks ok.

Carpet and Ellie

Final...thanks for looking! Edit.... For all the questions on the safety of the TV. I did hours of research on youtube and google and I found no solid answer on "don't do it or do it" As I mentioned on some of the comments below Ebay sells a heat deflector for above the hearth but after several test fires with the FP insert I found 99% of the heat gets pushed outward. Little escapes the insert and pushes upward towards the TV. I live in a climate where I probably burn fires from December to March. So even that 1% of heat that might actually hit the TV in these few months (IMO) will not hurt it. Thanks oh..and I'm an Eagles fan.

• Danene Simoson

Wow...love it...ive got a brick fireplace but the bricks are not flat lile yours..any ideas as it looks old fashioned...somebody suggested paint...i really dont have a clue what to do...excellent job.

• Margy42

I updated my 50+ year old fireplace with chalk paint, latex paint from the walls, and water. Brushed it on being sure to get it into the "grout" lines, and then rubbed it off until I got it exactly the way I wanted it. I did a test on a side that didn't show too much as a guide. It brightened it up considerably along with the rest of the room and also blended it into the walls so it didn't jump out at me. Room seems considerably brighter and happier. At 74 it only took me a day and a half (10 foot wide to ceiling with a 3 foot hearth in height and depth.) Started at the top and worked my way across and down. P.S. Try it in a small space. Stand back and look at it. If you don't like it you can wash it off and think of something else.

• Bbj2012153

Margyb42 please show us some pictures as I am looking for some ides of what to do with my fireplace.

• Deena Spence Grimsley

Yes, pictures please!!!!!!

• Michelle Johnson

would love to see pics

• Mark

We had a fireplace with the really rough, uneven bricks and placed tile over it all. Used thinset as it is more heat resistant than the poly stuff that is premixed. Smoothed the brick out with a layer of the thinset then laid the tile over the top of that.

• Regina

It looks beautiful, but what did you decide to do below the hearth? It's black. Is it wood painted?

• GBK

Just curious, how deep are your electrical wires sunk? Where I am the code says 1 1/2 inches. It looks like you used furring strips there, which are 5/8 inches.

• Cathy Johnson

Even DIY jobs need to adhere to code and may require permits and inspections. I encourage all DIY home improvements such as this one be run past your municipal code officer. Projects built without this step can lead to safety issues and extra headaches when it is time to sell your home.

• Frank

5/8 or might be 1/2 can't remember.

• Maureen May

A lovely job Frank, well done.

• GBK

Aside from buying another dozen furring strips, and doubling them up for more depth, I would have produced the exact same thing if I'd had the vision! Looks wonderful. Thanks for the tutorial, will try to replicate over mine!

• Lucille

Beautiful,great directions.what was the final cost to do this?

• Frank

hmmm. I'll say the entire wall project was around $500/$600 with the electrical (accent lights) another $300. right around $900 or less.

• Btj11695602

Looks great! When you have a fire does the black paint smell at all?

• Frank

nope. I even spray painted the inside of fireplace where the fire burns with high heat black. nothing smells or is peeling off yet.

• B. Enne

The guy who maintains/cleans/services my gas fireplace, used HH black paint inside as well, and we have never had any problems.

• Hedda

Beautiful job! What did you do with the air return? You mentioned it but didn't say what you did and in the other photos, it's disappeared. Just curious - we have one in our den I'd like to do something with.

• Frank

its there, I just spray painted the return cover gloss black.

• Jse10938265

Will heat bother those boards

• Frank

No. I put a 7 inch piece of slate around the pit plus the FP insert. Wood is safe IMO

• I want to do something similar on a regular wall in my living room. Would you suggest placing the vertical boards on this prior to placement too? The wall is just wallboard now. Thanks looks beautiful.

• Mary Gadell Roesener

what did you use around the immediate hearth...it looks black? Is it wood or metal

• Z Demiral

What did you secure the TV mount into? Did you attach it so that it would be drilled into the brick or did you simply attach it to the wood strips? Or did you secure it into the wider, horizontal boards that you seem to have nailed into the mortar joints (between the wood strips)? I'm just curious as to what was secure enough to hold the weight of the TV. Thank you! The space looks great now! Enjoy!

• Frank

Hey, I bought a standard TV mount off Ebay for like $20. I nailed the large pieces of support wood first with the concrete nails. Put a few extra nails in because I knew it would need to support TV. Used lag bolts through top wood into support wood.

• Loc16598108

How did you box in the hearth ? Would also need to do that with the fireplace surround. It doesn't cover an entire wall

• Frank

tile saw with heavy duty blade. cut slate slabs

• Margaret Caputo

How often do you need to use Tung Oil in the slate, doesnit make the slate slippery, and does it have an odor? TT! (Great job in the surround-wow!)

• Frank

Did it only one time so far. Holding up nicely. about a month ago. No slip or odor.

• Jko5765157

I use Olive oil with a squeeze of lemon juice and it works well..

• Glory Bee

I used olive oil once and my dog spent a lot of time licking it off.

• Sara Carson

so how much wood did that take?? Going to figure out how to cover a half stone wall this way. Not a flat 'smooth' surface so it will be a bit more difficult i think; but looks like it will totally be worth it. This is beautiful!!

• Frank

give or take about 60 pieces (20 of each size)

• Jay

Steeler fan?

• Heather Smith

I understand the heat from the fireplace is very hard on the TV if you don't have a mantle to prevent the heat from rising directly up to the TV. TV repairmen love this new design idea. Is this a problem with yours?

• Karen Ballou

Where did you move the heater air return to?

• Frank

I didn't it's still there I just painted the cover plate.

• Christina aka Queenopearls

Did you have the fireplace chimney swept or inspected before starting all this beautiful work?

• Paulette

I assume this is in an exposed basement area? It sure beats the old paneling I have in my rec room.

• Frank

split level house no basement. but this is the lower level.

• Bobbie

Can the television with stand the heat from the fireplace?

• Nico

Omg ! Where were you when I had my ugly fake rocks one! I love this ! Can you come over and do my wall lol ! Really great!!

• Frank

lol. Thanks

• Frank

Wow Bowie...sweet!

• Nico

Yes I'm a very sad girl ! I have photos from 1978 with him too... a very kind man ! My Hero and it's still difficult ... very hard as his bday was the 8th and DOD the 10th :( .. but yes I'm am blessed to have met him and seen him so many times! And I love your work !!! Amazing ! When should I expect you lol ?

• Bar17218364

I always wonder whenever I see a TV installed over a fireplace - Does the heat from the fireplace eventually cause a problem with the TV or the body of the TV (melting, overheating)?

• Cliff

have a tv over gas fireplace for 10 years...not a problem to date.

• Christine

Yes it will. I have a natural gas fireplace and it stated in the manual that there needed to be a mantel to reflect the heat that radiates out from the front. The depth or width of the mantel will be determined by the height or distance it is placed from the top of the opening. Some people have been lucky and haven't had any issues. A lady I was talking to couldn't understand why her son had such bad luck with 3 TV's in 2 years. Finally found out the heat damaged them from his wood fireplace. Hope this helps.

• Mary Hamblin

Beautiful. Is this fire proof? Our contractor wouldn't put wood columns beside the fire box on our fireplace makeover because it didn't meet code.

• Frank

Big difference between a contractor and doing it yourself. I doubt any contractor would want to do a job like this. Thanks

• Moc6032243

If you really think about it, as difficult as it is too start a fire in the fire box, it would be even more difficult to start the wood on fire that is surrounding the fire box. You would have to hold something burning right on it.

• Frank

Well said Mochamjt. everyone in doubt should read your comment! Thanks

• Laura Kackman

Love what you did! The carpeting looks like it was made for the room. Are there any other fur-babies in the house? My dad had a cat named Ellie that looked like her, I miss my dad!!

• Red10075577

do you burn he fireplace while watching TV

• Darlene

This is an interesting remodel but personally I am not fond of this upgrade.

• Roland Ronish

I'm a contractor and the "upgrade" is a nice way to hide the brick that might crack again. It's his choice, and I say he did a great job.

• Chante

I agree with Roland, it looks great! I'm always mystified by people who feel compelled to post negative comments for no good reason, adding nothing to further the conversation or offer helpful input, simply getting their two cents in that they don't like what someone did (regardless of how hard they may have worked on it and the pride they feel). Freedom of speech certainly, but rude and unkind, definitely.

• Amber D. Freeman

contractor or not, I think it looks fabulous, :-)

• Frank

Thanks everyone! And yes I have burned many fires this winter so far while watching TV

• MARIE

great job

• Jackie Bole

If you are fortunate enough to have a brick wall and a fireplace in it? Never cover it. Never.

• Susie Pruetzel

great job and it looks beautiful!

• Karen V

Frank it looks beautiful and you did a great job... Thank goodness we live in a country that allows us freedom to decorate how we wish LOL...

• Johanne

You did an absolutely awesome job on your fireplace. It looks fantastic. It seriously makes me wish that I had a fireplace. We live in an area where it is rarely gets below 60°F. Sadly, we really have no need to have a fireplace. And the electric ones are . . . just not the same. Maybe someday we will come up with a excuse to install a indoor one.

• Anneliese Clear

Did you relocate the air return vent, or just cover it up? I saw you mentioned it in one picture, but then didn't say what you eventually did to it. The wall looks beautiful!

• Shelia Lee Dendy

He painted the return black but did not cover it up. Look for the black square between the fireplace and the box he built

• Frank

Thanks Shelia!

• Anneliese Clear

Oh wow - nice camouflage! I didn't even notice it, and I was really looking. :-)

• Llk3031894

Stupid spell check! Awesome change!

• Frank

Thank You

• Jus10482489

WoW is all I can say

• Lisa Warner-Ketterer

Looks awesome!!! What a cool transformation!!!! You said you put slate around the firebox opening, right? I don't think you need to worry about the wood on the wall burning. Code calls for 6 inches of non flammable material around opening

• Patti DeRaps

Great job I love it. I have an ugly fireplace but one end is right against the wall not in the center of the room can't even use it.

• Frank

Lisa. I looked up that code too. I made a 7 inch slate piece around the opening. Thanks.

• Elizabeth Abell

I pray that wood want burn.

• Evelyn Evvy Marinaccio

How is the Heat from the Fire place going to affect the TV ?

• Frank

We shall see. So far so good. My guess is I'm good but you have a lot of commets that would argue different. thanks

• Natalie Lawson Dorsett

We have a 52" TV above our fireplace and have had no issues. Love being able to see the fireplace and TV at the same time.

• Cyndi Sims

LOVE your project!!! Great job. I've been trying for months, actually years trying to figure out whether or not to put the tv over the fireplace. Your comments are making me lean towards the Yes decision. Nice job. 👍

• Amy

Any chance that you live in PA and are for hire to do this at my house? Gorgeous!!

• Frank

Lol. Right out of Philly over the bridge in Cherry Hill. Thanks

• Marie

That looks awesome! We have a fp and it is a wall of stone, see pic. I've been getting remodel quotes to take it down and put up sheetrock,cabinets & windows, the costs are outrageous! I might hv to for go the windows :(

, This is my wall of stone I wonder if what you did would work on it Yes that s a Cowboy blanket we are long time fans no hate LOL
    • LDE6950865

Yes absolutely - that same type makeover would work on yours too and would be very nice!

• Frank

Yup. Looks like a slightly harder job to get the strips up since your stones do not look even. But you can find a way. Definitely! Thanks

• Sar12875032

Gee, I love the stone, but losing that mantle piece would make a world of difference!

• Olene Bigelow

Please check with your local building official for allowable distances from the firebox to combustible materials.

• Joyce

I want to do the same thing with the brick fireplace in my living room, except I want to cover it with light colored marble or granite. It's the focal point in the living room but is very dark and drags the room down.

• Emmawilliams1

Curious...You did the work..what approximately did the materials etc. cost? The whole project around $1000.00 excluding your labor and carpet? Very nice job!!

• Frank

Hey Emma, I just updated the project and tried my best to remember the materials and prices. Give or take a few buck it's pretty close. Thanks

• Debra Trenchard Thompson

Great job. Love it. We have some barn board that would be great for this project.

• Jeane

The wood just pine? stained different colors?

• Frank

Yes. Except for 2 pieces. All Pine.

• Glenda Kittles

what two pieces aren't pine??

• Frank

under the light switch...its brown/black/brown don't know the wood on those two.. maybe Oak. it was recycled wood from a bed frame!

• Glenda Kittles

what thickness is the wood??

• Jan15822444

Do you know the exact colors you used on the wood slats?? They're really gorgeous !! Thank you . Jan Patterson

• Joyce Kesten

I have an overhang of slate over brick on bottom, what did u use to box it in on the bottom to make it look like a solid wall?

• Frank

I nailed in the exact same wood on the bottom that's on the top . They are all stained black. I tried to use glue but nothing would hold. So I nailed them in. Thanks

• Joann Crefasi

I've never heard of blonde boards. I Googled it and found nothing relating to wood. What is another name for blonde boards?

• Frank

I never heard of it either. When hometalk posted this they used the title blonde boards. They are 8 ft pieces of pine from Lowes. Lol.

• Kristine Kelley Bailey

Firring strips is what they are usually called.

• Jan

I think you have NAILED IT love love love. negative remarks are totally amazing in my view. Very very cleaver and thanks for sharing!

• Sua343969

Awesome job! Thanks for the idea (-: !

• Carol

Are you not afraid to have a fire so close to the wood? You never know when a loose ember will escape. Or do you not use the fireplace?
    • Debra Green

Its not like an ember would attach to the wall. Gravity would cause it to fall onto the slate.
    • Frank

Not worried one bit. Probably burned 25 fires this season so far. I have a deep set fireplace. Not even worried about the TV as some of the fireplace/TV police have commented. All is good with the setup. Thanks.
  • Map14265445

Not a question, but a huge kudos to your design and hard work. It looks FANTASTIC! You are welcome to my house anytime to do mine! (LOL) And btw....do I dare say.....I'm a Broncos 🐴 Fan! Lol. Thanks for a great video!
    Michelle Poss
    Nebraska
  • Paula Marie

Great just great. Thanks for the step-by-step. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.☺
  • Linda Mobley

As far as the air return goes why didn't you make a loovered slat face for it???just wondering looks great😊
    • Frank

just spray painted the metal screen cover to match the fireplace insert. Thanks 😊
  • Jodi Romang

May I ask what 6 color stains you used looks awesome!
  • Joanie

Is this your basement area finished off? It sure is a great lookin' room and you will enjoy it for a lifetime. We practically lived in ours., we had a BEAUTIFUL finished basement with the works. My husband did it all......except lay the carpet. He built a bar with the works on one end....he put mirrors and floating shelves behind it, added a swingin' door, bought bar stools, at a closing bar. We laid tile around the entire bar. Added an arm rest, we had around the whole bar, my girlfriend upholstered furniture. Clean on the other end we put up the fake Stone, randomly across the entire wall. We HAD it all, with 4 sons and were transferred clean to the Deep South. We were in a nice little town in OH., off in the country. What a bummer. Your area brings back those beautiful memories. I really got off.......I apologize. BTW, I LOVE what you have done......it's gorgeous, and I mean that!!
  • Barbara

If I were to do this on a regular wall that had no bricks, do I still need the verticalpieces of wood?
    • Dawn

as long as you no where the studs are behind your wall you'll be fine without them.
    • Aurora Henry

No Barbara, we just did a wall and we used Lock Tight construction ashesive and a few finishing
      nails.
    • Aurora Henry

nails.
    • Frank

Nope. Like dawn said. studs will work!
  • Jan

Wonderful job! We would like to try something like this too. Would you mind telling me what color stains you used? Thank you!
    • Frank

A couple people have asked. I have the cans of stain buried in my garage. When I get a chance I will post the colors. All minwax colors
    • Jan

Thank you! Would appreciate that. Loved the colors!
    • Lyn1779865

Any luck with finding the colours?

• Bcm21584045

I did a surround on my brick fireplace last fall. There are strict codes in Ohio about fireplaces and wood. Please make sure your projects are up to code. This fireplace may not pass an inspection. Did you have an inspection?
    • Frank

lets see your fireplace.
    • Teresa

• Julie Godinez-Resch

the brick acts as a heat barrier and heat barrier is important but you have that solved. if you think of it, wood fireplaces DO have some who use WOOD mantles so I wouldn't stress.
    • Roy

There are code requirements fo how far from a firebox you can put flammable materials such as wood. In our are of NJ I believe it says 20 inches in any direction, but there are no code police to come to your house and give you any trouble. I think your project looks really nice. Uh, that Tv is huge. Wow. Good goong!

• Helen Stanley

I think the TV would be safer if you had a shelf over the fireplace. That would off set any heat going directly up to the TV. Just saying

• Mar15387338

you could try it if you are copying this make over or if you live in a colder climate so need more fires per season.
  • Diane Iovanna

were you certain those patches were total?
    • Frank

I’m sorry Diane. I don’t understand your question. Patches?

• Rose

Your work is beautiful and I want to do two walls how thick is the strips you put up to nail the wood up.

Thanks for all your hard work I love it

Rosemarie

• SusanB

This looks amazing! How did you finish the ends of the install?

• Tammy L Banks Riebell

What kind of wood did u use

• Tammy L Banks Riebell

what kind of wood did u use?

• Ann-Marie Johansen Fraser

What is the spacing on the wood strips? When you alternated lengths did you center them on a strip so both were secured?

• Frank

Yes Some of the were centered. I cant remember the exact spacing. sorry

• Christine Cajigas

Beautiful work! 😊. But I've a question. If heat rises and cold falls. Would the television then become damaged? I'm just curious.

• JQ

He addresses that in his post above.

• Frank

tv is going strong. No issues. Going on 2nd maybe 3rd season. I burn fires from now to April.

• Carol Cortes

I have a living room set; couch, love seat and chair. I reupholstered about 10 years ago with great fabric that hasn’t worn but has faded. The color is a dark brown. I really don’t want to purchase anything new. Any ideas? Maybe with a fabric stain? Are there any good tricks or products?

• P

Look into chalk painting upholstery fabric, yes it sounds awful, but from what I’ve seen the results can be pretty wonderful. I’ve seen some great examples right here on Hometalk.

• Diane Jackson Johnson

Amazon has a upholster paint that’s called simply spray fabric paint. I used it on two chairs that are over 50 years old and came out great. Here’s a picture. The one on left is painted and the one on right is not.

• TW

Carol, to get the best response to your question, you can go to the top of this page where it says, "Ask a question". It will then go out to all HomeTalk viewers to respond.

• C garnica

Absolutely outstanding! I love it. Thank you for sharing

• Melissa Raymond

Beautiful. Just curious if the wood by the fireplace is up to code?

• Frank

The distance need around the surround (slate) needs to be 6 inches. I did 7. As far as the rest of the wall were the wood is. No clue.

• Becky

I think you did a fantastic job! My only question is were you able to fix those big cracks in the wall? Looked like some serious settling or foundation issue? I am by no means any kind of pro on that... just have seen pics on line of beautiful old Victorian homes and see that kind of cracking and it looks like it could be problematic. It looks like you did many many labor hours, and it DOES look great!

• Frank

no I didn’t do anything with the crack. Just covered it up. The brick is mostly a facade. I don’t think it has anything to do with the foundation. House was built in the 60’s. No idea when or how it cracked.

• Joanie

Is this new project in your basement? It sure looks great and you did a super job.....on everything. I noticed the support poles????, which we boxed in, in our basement, we turned 1 end into a entire bar, stone wall on one end and complete Rec room for a family of 6. I miss it and we had to move for job change, and this sure brought back great memories. Enjoy it to the utmost!! Steeler fans here!!! Go get

em Iron boys!!

• Frank

Thanks. The room is actually the bottom level of my split level home. No basement.

• Connie

When looking for pallets, how do you know if they had hazard chemicals stored on them?

• Frank

Good question. I don’t know. I used pine from Lowes.

• Lisa Jones

Pallet wood look for HT (heat treated non chemical) burned on it.

• Dolores

This looks fantastic. Great job! How long did it take you?

• Frank

I work full-time so I did it over the course of about three weekends I guess in total took me about eight days from start to finish not including the rug in stall

• Virginia S.

Thank you for posting this project. It is exactly what I am interested in doing in my sunroom on the fireplace wall. I see you bought 8 foot lengths of pine. Do you think pallets would work as well? Yours looks really beautiful!

• Frank

Absolutely. I just was too lazty to pull pallets apart. But that would look nice!

• Susan

Beautiful, I love it! Looking at your brick fireplace with beams looks exactly like two rooms we have. Since those slats are do thin, do you feel like you can hang artwork?

• Frank

yes. the slats are 1/2 inch. def can hang artwork. thanks

• Jan

Great job! Looks absolutely gorgeous! Can you tell me what color stains you used?

• Frank

thank you. I did list them somewhere in this post.

• Hedda

the post says he got different stains but no actual names of stains. Looks great and the size of the house is, too!

• John Grimley

I'm wondering, did you actually do anything about the obvious problems with the fire opening and the chimney?

The colouration as well as blackening of the bricks suggests a problem with the interior state of the chimney.

• Frank

Nope. Fireplace was serviced before we moved in.

• JustDave

IRT comments about the wood catching fire. The National Fire Code requires all combustible material to be at least 6 inches from the opening of the firebox.

Also, the electrical code requires wires to be secured / supported within 12" of the box and then within every 4.5'.

Does your installation meet code?

• Daniel

Just Dave, if you look at the brick that surrounds the firebox, it is a solid 8 inches without wood. Standard brick being 2 inches thick. He the allowed a additional 2inches before the wood.wall would be applied.

• Louise

Why? Are you code enforcement?

• Frank

I did 7 inches around hearth. Wires are good.

• Lisa Fauerbach

This is terrific!!! Nicely done 😊

• Victoria Ann Bangs

That is spectacular !!! The most beautiful fire place i have ever seen.

• Sherrie Brown

Can you please post how to use a mantle to hold a bathroom mirror above the vanity . I love this idea.

• Heather Di Piero Irwin

Looks beautiful! Might be my hubs weekend project since it is the last weekend free before NFL starts 😂 Go Birds 🦅

• Tammy

Absolutely beautiful! Job well done! Thank you for sharing!

• Winkler

very creative and great job! P.S. I love your humor!👍🏼

• June Samaras

Just curious if this meets the building code standards - all that wood - no fire retardant!

• Frank

Sorry June. There are a ton of code police on this post. I’m sure someone can tell you.

• Aj

Love this!! Thank you for sharing!!

• Marlene

Beautiful

• Sharon

I see it all the time, but I would be wary of putting a TV above a working fireplace. Heat rises, so doesn't it get too hot for electronics directly above?

• Mari Friesen

Looks awesome. You had an update on 4-27-17, we’re in 2019, how has it held up (if it’s still there, you may have redecorated)? If only my hubby was handy.

• Frank

Looks fantastic. Still there. Tv is same. Everything is perfect. Thanks

• Ann

Beautiful!

• Kathy

This is absolutely beautiful.

• Susan Beltran Montijo

How to place pictures for altar

• Rebecca Morales

At your local hardware store there are mason mounts for things like this if you choose to put things up through the bricks. If not, depending on how heavy the pictures, it is wood so you can use anything to anchor. I’d just try and plan ahead since it isn’t drywall. How about 3M adhesive hooks?

• Frank

screws. The wood is thick enough. It will hold pictures no problem.

• Jennifer Hendrickson

What a great idea! You have good instincts and vision. LOVE IT!

• Lisa Michelle

Absolutely gorgeous. Like this for a wall in my basement.. please share name of stained you used? I did not read other comments. thanks

• Frank

Hey Lisa. It’s somewhere on this post. God knows where? And I didn’t commit the colors to memory. I did this project 2 years ago. This site keeps recycling it.

Sorry and thanks.

• Camille

I love this, thinking of putting over my painted fireplace wall (whit-ugh). My question is, how far apart did you put the firring strips?

• CJ

Real good job. Makes me tempted to try something similar. Very clear explanation. Good job!

• Tarnisha

This is the most modern & gorgeous fireplace I’ve seen!! I would sit in this room forever.

• Lorie Hunsell

Love it. I would like to try this. My question is if heat rises from your fire place does it affect your tv?

Also is that a Pittsburgh game your watching?

• Mickie

My Chiropractor has an accent wall just like this!! Same colors even in his waiting lobby. I relax in my wheelchair in the calm atmosphere of that lobby and always make sure I sit facing it. It really does help calm my ADD, OCD, Bi-Polar mind. The colors do not agitate my mild autism and the Big 3! Lol! I think this should be recomended to some Dr's offices to help calm and sooth the over active brains. All the pristine bright white and pastels do not reassure or soothe the jangled senses. Neither do intense primary colors. They excite senses that are already frayed, but the colors and apparent randomness of your accent wall helps everything to slow down some. Heart rate, breathing, and body fidgets get calmer and I am able to focus on the wall without being hyper-focused on it. It does not thrust itself into my vision or require that I find and follow an obvious pattern which causes me to become hyper and agitated unless I can follow the pattern quickly. Instead my brain is able to relax because there IS NO SET PATTERN. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Now I finally have found how to make me a space that I can relax in even with the lights on Lol!!💞🌷☺😊

• Frank

Awesome Mickey. I just read this tonight. Fantastic I’m glad it has meaning for you and brings you peace. Thanks

• Caleb

Great idea! i need it