How To Spot Clean a Microfiber Couch

1 Material
$0

When we redecorated our living room we purchased our first microfiber couch and didn't realize until our dog Chanel slept on it the first time that she drools in her sleep. How unladylike! And, we didn't realize how much it would show on the microfiber. So our options seemed to be either get rid of the couch (never!), get rid of the dog (Chanel would never allow that), or figure out how to clean microfiber.
In doing online research I learned that water shouldn't be used on microfiber so I found some how-to's for using rubbing alcohol or vodka (non-water based liquids) and then buffing with a brush. I was a little nervous about using any kind of liquid at all on the couch, so after stewing about it for a day or two, and giving Chanel the stink eye, I decided to save the alcohol for better uses (vodka tonic, anyone?) and go straight for the brush. As you'll see below, the results were fantastic!
Ugh!! My couch! Chanel's lucky she's cute or she'd be out in the cold.
After allowing the offending spot to dry, take a soft-bristled toothbrush and lightly scrub in a circular motion to buff out the spots.
Next, smooth out the nap.
Voila! The couch is as good as new.

• Toothbrush

Angela at farragio

• Rei15921269

I didn't know you weren't supposed to use water on microfiber. I clean my microfiber couch and chair with a dishcloth and a little dishwashing detergent in water . I'm careful not to get it too wet and just scrub the stain/dirt out, let it dry, and wipe my hand across to smoothe the nap. Works great! looks like new.

• Kim

Louise just wondering if you diluted the alcohol or use it straight

• Valerie Mitchell Heron

Seams you missed the washing step 🙂

• Valerie Mitchell Heron

Hay Angela, I totally get the drying part. Instead of putting a lot of water in my egg pan or other pots I wipe them out with a paper towel that I previously dried my hands on but after that I wash them. That's the problem I have with your post. When you brush the dry spot off, it's still dirty. It has to be washed afterwards 🙂

• Carmen Bradford

How do you apply the alcohol or vodka on the microfiber? Spray it? Pour it?

• Erika

I've also seen people using ONLY a high thread count microfiber cloth and it looks like magic.