IKEA Hack Platform Bed DIY

$480

In this project, I turned seven standard kitchen cabinets from IKEA into a platform bed for my daughter. The total cost was around $480 for the cabinets, lumber and supplies - not including the bedding, which she already had. There is a huge storage area under the mattress which is accessed through one of the cabinets that has no back.
The entire process is covered in this video in greater detail, but this post will give you the highlights if you're in a hurry. More information and blueprints are available at the link at the bottom.
Step 1: Assemble the cabinets
I bought ready-to-assemble cabinets from IKEA because they were inexpensive and provided a lot of storage. These wall cabinets are called SEKTION in the US and METOD elsewhere, but you can use just about any kind of cabinets or bookcases to outline the bed.
Step 2: Layout
Using the dimensions of the full-size mattress, I placed the cabinets along the outside edge of the platform. I used varying heights to form steps. See that cabinet without the door? I assembled that one with no back so I can use all the space under the bed for storage.
Step 3: Attach everything
I added 1/4" nylon chair glides to the bottoms of all the cabinets to hold them off the floor. Then I clamped and screwed all the cabinets together to ensure everything stayed tight and looking good.
Step 4: Frame the platform
I attached 1x4 pine to the two walls and backs of the cabinets to support the platform. If you can't attach anything to your walls, I have an alternative free-standing version of this bed on my website (follow the link below).
Step 5: Add a center support
Slats alone would be insufficient to support a full-size mattress with adult occupants. So I added a 2x4 down the center to bear most of the weight.
Step 6: Install the slats
I installed a dozen 1x4 pine slats with three screws. The slats are spaced 3" apart, which is maximum for most mattresses.
Step 7: Finishing touches
I dressed up the tops of the cabinets with gray paneling held in place with double-faced carpet tape and screws. I also cut a rubber-backed rug to cover the steps so they wouldn't be too slippery.
Step 8: The finished product
My daughter added a crate to act as a nightstand, and she used a twin size comforter so it didn't hang over the edge too far. Her dog, Reese (laying in this picture near the wall), has no trouble climbing up and down the steps.
Alternative version
This video shows an alternative version that has a smaller footprint and isn't attached to the wall. Take a look!

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and social media @HandyDadTV.

To see more: http://handydad.tv/ikea-hack-platform-bed-diy

• Pat

Where did you put the chair glides?

• Millies_mom47

It would be better if we could see how the chair glides are used. Some of us are better seeing things than reading and guessing what and where things go. If you have a picture could you post it? Thanks!

• Shannon

R u in st. Louis Missouri if so if like one for my daughter rm

• Gloria

What size is that bed ?

• Lisa House

Awesome

• Khawkey

Great idea...it would be even better if all of the under bed space were use-able for storage.

• Kamikazi P

It is.... You leave the back off of one of the center cabinets to access the space underneath