Peek-a-boo Bowl

$5

I found this bowl at Goodwill and had an idea to bring it back to life.

Before

I am going to use a stain medium so I needed to apply something that would ensure it would adhere. I first taped oft the metal base and the I applied Mod Podge to the entire bowl.

I just use a chip brush to apply a thin coat. I allow it to fully dry before moving onto my next step.

I gathered up my Unicorn SPiT :) Yes, Unicorn SPiT! It's a stain/glaze, all in one product really that can be used on well just about anything.

This is a process I hadn't tried before and it didn't turn out exactly as I imagined but it still came out beautifully as you will see.

I dripped colors randomly around the bowl. I then took plastic and pressed the plastic to cover the bowl.

This is what it looked like after I removed the plastic. I allowed it to dry and then I used a matte spray laquere to seal. I wanted the peek-a-boo effect and that was going to require a layer of SPiT over what was already there. So I thought I sealed it so that when I added another layer it wouldn't combine with what was already there. I then grabbed the solid color I wanted the outside to be. What I didn't take into account was even though I sealed it I was putting a darker color over the lighter colors so it took away some of the brightness. I added 3 coats of Peacock and then when it dried I sealed it with Plutonium Gloss Sealer. So although it didn't turn out as I envisioned I think it is going to look beautiful on any counter or table!

I love how the Peacock color just looks so elegant!

Peek-a-boo!

Even though the colors didn't hold out like I wanted to it still gives it a 3 dimensional effect and a "surprise" inside! :)

Before and After

I think I am going to try a reverse process next!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/notjustframes

• Shannon

My daughter wants to try this possibly for a fair project, but has a questions for you regarding permission to try the idea before she could do it. Is there an email address that she can message you regarding this?

• Olga Bill

Can this bowl be used for food such as fruits or does it require a sealer coating? thx

• Mary Carlson

Since all the enhancing is done on the outside it is good to use for food - as long as you work with the outside and yes it was sealed :)

• Alisa Schwartz

Could you just leave it the way it came out after the first step? If so what sealer should I use ? This looks beautiful !

• Mary Carlson

Yes you can! I used Plutonium Gloss Sealer :) It must be oil based, never use a water based sealer with unicorn SPiT!