Mary
Mary
  • Tutorial Team
  • Maple Park, IL

Peek-a-boo Bowl

I found this bowl at Goodwill and had an idea to bring it back to life.
Before
Before

I am going to use a stain medium so I needed to apply something that would ensure it would adhere. I first taped oft the metal base and the I applied Mod Podge to the entire bowl.
peek a boo bowl

I just use a chip brush to apply a thin coat. I allow it to fully dry before moving onto my next step.
peek a boo bowl

I gathered up my Unicorn SPiT :) Yes, Unicorn SPiT! It's a stain/glaze, all in one product really that can be used on well just about anything.
peek a boo bowl

This is a process I hadn't tried before and it didn't turn out exactly as I imagined but it still came out beautifully as you will see.
peek a boo bowl

I dripped colors randomly around the bowl. I then took plastic and pressed the plastic to cover the bowl.
peek a boo bowl

This is what it looked like after I removed the plastic. I allowed it to dry and then I used a matte spray laquere to seal. I wanted the peek-a-boo effect and that was going to require a layer of SPiT over what was already there. So I thought I sealed it so that when I added another layer it wouldn't combine with what was already there. I then grabbed the solid color I wanted the outside to be. What I didn't take into account was even though I sealed it I was putting a darker color over the lighter colors so it took away some of the brightness. I added 3 coats of Peacock and then when it dried I sealed it with Plutonium Gloss Sealer. So although it didn't turn out as I envisioned I think it is going to look beautiful on any counter or table!
peek a boo bowl

I love how the Peacock color just looks so elegant!
Peek-a-boo!
Peek-a-boo!

Even though the colors didn't hold out like I wanted to it still gives it a 3 dimensional effect and a "surprise" inside! :)
Before and After
Before and After

I think I am going to try a reverse process next!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/MyZenhobby/

• Laurie Soltis

yes i will try. what about baking it. after the color?i think i'll try.

• Connie Bullock Nelson

I do not think you can bake Spit like you can acrylics. You have to seal Spit and still be careful around water.

• Julie Deane

I would love to try this for my outdoor garden art, but will that sealer block up rays, hold up in rainy or snowy weather?

• Julie Deane
      An hour ago

Thank you for your help on this. I use a Krylon spray too. I’m not too pleased with it though. Maybe the artists spray will work better. Mine seems to leave a residue. It doesn’t allow the clearness or glass like feel. It kind of dulls things a bit even though it says clear. Time to try another spray. Thanks again

• Robin

are the colors applied to just the outside of you bowl? What is the difference between Unicorn Spit and alcohol ink. Also do you leave the Saran Wrap on until it is completely dry. Thank you.

• Mary

Hi - yes, just outside the bowl so that the bowl is still food safe - the difference between the two is the vibrancy and preference - i am sure you could get the same effect from the inks - i only used the saran wrap to "smoosh" and get the desired effect.

• Summertime

Love this idea. I plan to add seashells on it here and there, on the outside. My daughter loves anything done with seashells, and she is going to love this.❤️ I already have the seashells, have been saving them for a fabulous project. 😊

• Robin

Oh yes I plan to try it.