IKEA Hack Adds Kitchen Storage

We use every inch of every space in our kitchen. It's a large kitchen, and we use it all. My mother recently pointed out that we had some wasted space at the end of a cabinet, and she suggested we build a book shelf there for my cookbooks. I took her idea and ran with it and came up with a great IKEA hack that adds kitchen storage that we love.
IKEA sells little spice racks for just around $4.00. I bought three of them and spray painted them white to match our cabinets. Then my husband, who is quite handy, measured, calculated, and hung them on the end of the cabinet.
This is the way the cabinet looked before we hung the shelves. It was just a blank bit of wasted real estate.
These are the shelves that we used for the hack. They make great spice racks, but in my world they make even better bookshelves. They are sturdy enough to hold three to four books.
There are certain cookbooks that I use over and over. Now they are perfectly organized in this one specific area. I no longer need to search through our bookshelves to find a certain cookbook. They are right at my finger tips. Please visit our blog to see more kitchen and home ideas, please visit out blog, www.the2seasons.com

The 2 Seasons

• Frances

I love ypur bookshelves. Can these be safely glued on if your cabinets are thin?
    • Marylu

can you glue 1"x2" wood inside the cabinet then screw these outside shelves through to the inside cabinet wood... it will be much stronger to support the weight of the hardback books?
  • Sheryls.aerials

Love it. What color is your wall paint?
  • Nic22894923

how did you attach the racks to the cabinetry?