Build a Raised Bed for $10

$10

Build one raised bed for $10, using 3 eight foot 2 x 4 's. This is a project you can build in minutes.
build a raised bed for 10, raised garden beds
Are you thinking about adding a garden to the yard this year? Well I've got the perfect raised bed project to get you started.

Purchase three 8 foot 2 x 4's for around 2.50 each.

You'll need about 16 screws which will cost around .10 or less each. Making this project a $10 value. Necessary tools will include a saw and drill.
The first step is to measure your boards. This includes 4 cuts at 4 ft. and another 4 cuts at 2 ft.

I used a chop saw because it's quick and leaves behind a crisp accurate cut. You could also use a skill, table or hand saw.
Once the wood is cut find a flat surface and lay out two 4 ft and two 2 ft boards in the shape of a rectangle.

This will help you visualize the project shape and also make sure your boards are measured correctly.
Drill two pilot holes at each end of the two foot boards. Do not skip this step as it keeps the wood from splitting once you insert the screws for connection.
Connect each corner one at a time and repeat the process with the next set of boards. Once they're finished stack each frame and add soil. Get more Gardening tips and the companion to this smaller raised bed here.

• Three 8 Ft. 2 x 4's  (Home Depot)
  • 16 Screws  (Any Hardware store)
Garden Up Green - Carole

• Allison

How much dirt did you use to fill it up?

• I used a combination of natural elements in addition to dirt. Unfortunately I didn't measure each one but I have a post on my blog that is very helpful where I cover this information. If you go to Garden Up Green, Search Moving and Planting The Garden it will pop right up. Unfortunately I'm able to add the link here.

• Steve Ivanoski

Hello there. When stacking the boxes how do you affix them to one another? Thank you!

• Richard A Giese

You used pine? Wouldn't that warp and decay in a couple of years?

• Nancy Kay Hibbs

probably would, fir would be better but much more expensive, i think i will call and price the fir, i have heard that the wood that wont rot is not good to put plants that you will eat, in, i am interested in this very much but want it to last i have always been interested in having these instead of a regular garden as i am 72 and getting on the ground is more difficult than it used to be