Betsy
Betsy
  • Urbandale, IA

Outdoor Christmas Decorations

Growing up we always put up Christmas lights outside! The tradition still carries on. Every year-my goal is to get the lights up before it turns cold-it never happens! I do all the decorating myself-climbing high ladders and all! I try to do something new and different each year. My dad who lived until the age of 94-lived with me the past 10 years of his life. I think he enjoyed the lights as much as I did! I know it is his spirit that helps me to keep the tradition going!
Oak tree in front yard-that I strung the lights up by myself in the night-and before a storm! Christmas of 2009
Red and white-candy cane colors! Christmas of 2012
My dog-having a peaceful sleep with the lights. Carried the red and white theme inside.
My first winter container!
My first winter container!
Theme of candy cane colors-red and white.  Colors really popped from the street! Winter container in the middle with twig lights.
Theme of candy cane colors-red and white. Colors really popped from the street! Winter container in the middle with twig lights.
Use everything natural-garland to evergreens in pots.
Tree lights that line the path around my house.
Outside Christmas Tree-that would never stay up-finally found a place for it-by my front door.  I added the lighted bow to the top!
Outside Christmas Tree-that would never stay up-finally found a place for it-by my front door. I added the lighted bow to the top!
Twig lights in my winter container pot.
Twig lights in my winter container pot.

• Hotheadzmarine.williamson

Where did you get the snow flakes for the tree.

I got them at Walgreens about 10 yrs ago. They are LED lights-and LED lights were pretty new back then. I think I paid like $20 for a box back then-I'm sure much cheaper now. You might be able to find them on Amazon or something close to them. These have like 20 different kind of motions-and different light patterns-from very fast to slow. These are actually icicle lights-and very long strands. I have also hung them on my deck railings-and they look very nice.. They are beautiful on a dark night with snow!

Thanks so much Valerie! The white snow espeically helps make the colors stand out!

• Hotheadzmarine.williamson

Looks so nice .. love the tree with snow flakes.

Awe-thank you-I so appreciate your comment! The oak tree was fun to decorate with these lights-looking back-I can't believe I climbed ladders to put them up! It was worth it!