Elizabeth @ Creating Rustic Charm
Elizabeth @ Creating Rustic Charm
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Green Bay, WI

Board and Batten Bathroom!

A few years ago, I decided to tackle our smaller bath and give it an updated look. Before my husband left town for the north woods (again), he removed the vanity and toilet for me. The hubster likes to leave me alone when I have a project in the works. This tends to work really well for us, lol.
board and batten bathroom, bathroom ideas
He took out the vanity so darn fast (in a hurry to go up to the cottage) that I didn't get a chance to get a picture of that basic big box of a vanity, complete with a shell sink.
Yes, this linoleum must go!
The new flooring is vinyl tile that I glued down on top of the linoleum. That's right, on top of it. I cleaned it up really well and went to town with the glue, spacers and later grouted. This stuff is awesome to work with. I would heat it with a hair dryer and cut out pieces that needed trimming and specific cuts with a utility knife.
My apologies for this tutorial that really isn't a tutorial. When I am in the zone of doing something, I totally forget to take enough pictures.
The boards I used are primed MDF boards that I bought at Home Depot. Baseboard and top board are 3.5 in. and the vertical boards 1.5 in. Using the nailgun, I attached the boards to the walls.
I caulked all the seams, waited until the next day then had fun painting. Now for all you painters, yes, in the one picture you can see it looks a wee bit greenish. I painted the upper part and WHAT, I didn't like it! I ended up with soft shade of blue on top and white on the bottom. I am sorry, I don't have the paint anymore and don't know what the actual colors are.
I had this mirror in my stash of stuff and it worked perfect for the look I was going for.
This is a vintage door knob that I also had in my stash. I drilled a hole into the board and using a square piece from the hardware store, I was able to tap the square piece into the hole and the knob fit perfect.
Here is the easiest Faux Roman Shade that anyone can make!
Did I mention, there was no sewing involved?! After measuring your window and cutting the fabric, I used Stitch Witch to iron on the fabric to make the pocket for the rod and hem. This stuff works awesome!
I bought three extension rods (if you want more loops, buy more rods) and looped the fabric to make my faux Roman Shade.
When we bought our home in 1983, we only had one full bath and at the time this was a powder room. There was a closet right next to this bathroom and our handy man was able to find us a small shower that fit in here.
P.S. This is bad lighting, but the shower is white (looks like almond in this picture).
Speaking of almond bathrooms, did I mention that my upstairs bathroom has an almond toilet and tub...Yup, that bathroom is on my to do list!!

• Martin Finn

Do you recall the thickness of the board? This stuff gets pretty heavy.

• Keisha

Martin is likely referring to the MDF. Depending on the thickness it can be extremely heavy compared to plywood.

• Suz

More info on Roman shades?

• Lex2716992

Please do a visual on the "how to" for the Roman shade!

• Amber Kenaga

What color is that blue? I love it!

• Kathy harvey

I agree it looks like sea salt by sherwin Williams. I was painting my bathroom and bedroom with that exact color earlier today. I love it

• Susan Rogge

Nice!

• Toni Anderson

If you should have the 2"Faux Wood Blinds they come with a come with come with a Valance to hide the hardware & give it a "finished" look I have applied Industrial Strength Velcro strips which I have purchased by the roll at

Wal-Mart for other craft projects,etc I attach the Velcro to the fabric & the Valance,over the years

I've changed the look of the

Valances several times completely using the same fabric by using decorative trim,ribbon, or Decorative Nail Heads, I have also made pleats with fabric using the Velcro to hold them in place & I have used the nail heads to hold the pleats in place also this does not effect the Blind in any way Now they have cordless faux wood blinds which are slightly more expensive!

Another idea would be to use a white or creme colored fabric and then apply decorative Christmas ribbon which can be very festive & in expensive!!