Board and Batten Bathroom!

A few years ago, I decided to tackle our smaller bath and give it an updated look. Before my husband left town for the north woods (again), he removed the vanity and toilet for me. The hubster likes to leave me alone when I have a project in the works. This tends to work really well for us, lol.
He took out the vanity so darn fast (in a hurry to go up to the cottage) that I didn't get a chance to get a picture of that basic big box of a vanity, complete with a shell sink.
Yes, this linoleum must go!
The new flooring is vinyl tile that I glued down on top of the linoleum. That's right, on top of it. I cleaned it up really well and went to town with the glue, spacers and later grouted. This stuff is awesome to work with. I would heat it with a hair dryer and cut out pieces that needed trimming and specific cuts with a utility knife.
My apologies for this tutorial that really isn't a tutorial. When I am in the zone of doing something, I totally forget to take enough pictures.
The boards I used are primed MDF boards that I bought at Home Depot. Baseboard and top board are 3.5 in. and the vertical boards 1.5 in. Using the nailgun, I attached the boards to the walls.
I caulked all the seams, waited until the next day then had fun painting. Now for all you painters, yes, in the one picture you can see it looks a wee bit greenish. I painted the upper part and WHAT, I didn't like it! I ended up with soft shade of blue on top and white on the bottom. I am sorry, I don't have the paint anymore and don't know what the actual colors are.
I had this mirror in my stash of stuff and it worked perfect for the look I was going for.
This is a vintage door knob that I also had in my stash. I drilled a hole into the board and using a square piece from the hardware store, I was able to tap the square piece into the hole and the knob fit perfect.
Here is the easiest Faux Roman Shade that anyone can make!
Did I mention, there was no sewing involved?! After measuring your window and cutting the fabric, I used Stitch Witch to iron on the fabric to make the pocket for the rod and hem. This stuff works awesome!
I bought three extension rods (if you want more loops, buy more rods) and looped the fabric to make my faux Roman Shade.
When we bought our home in 1983, we only had one full bath and at the time this was a powder room. There was a closet right next to this bathroom and our handy man was able to find us a small shower that fit in here.
P.S. This is bad lighting, but the shower is white (looks like almond in this picture).
Speaking of almond bathrooms, did I mention that my upstairs bathroom has an almond toilet and tub...Yup, that bathroom is on my to do list!!

• Eroque022810

Why didn't you carry the boards by the sink? I just had baton board put in dining room I love it. I picked shaker style cabinets for kitchen and carried it up to windows everything very simple I'm not into cabinets that have a detailed look because it's hard to clean and I font get anyone to volunteer to help. The baton board fits the bill plus I love it. One thing is that it is forgiving you can fudge a little if walls aren't perfect in size. Homes settle nothing is plumb or square. Love your toilet paper holder!

• Teresa Fialkowski

Nice job. Where can I get more info on how to make a Roman shade like yours?

• Michele

I just went to a habatate for humanity place and got a so called free standing sink that looks just like yours. Are they truly free standing? to me mine looks as if it needs something to hold the sink to the wall. Really could use a answer.

• Mine is not free standing, it is fastened to the wall.

• Michele

how is it fastened to the wall? what parts do I need that I wasn't sold?

• Jaxon

Michele, you should be able to find the hardware needed at a supply house. We have Fergusons and Atchisons here in Va.

• When you go to a hardware store or Home Depot, find someone and tell them what you have and what you are trying to do. My sink came with some pretty long bolts and washers. You will need to fasten these into studs for a more secure set up.

• Kim

Your bathroom is gorgeous! What is the stained piece in the window?

• Sandra Allen

I went back to make sure but all I see is her roman style curtains. She shows you how to make them really easy. Photos 5, 11 and 12. Hope that helps.

• Thank you! Sorry, I do not see what you are referring to with the stained piece in the window.

• Kristy Hanning

There is a piece of trim inside the window frame that is stained. Is that the stained piece you are referring to Kgmc4730? I was wondering the same thing.

• Kim

Yes Kristy, that is what I was seeing. I went back through all of the pictures again and saw what it was. In the close-up of the Roman shade the window is up so you don't see it. Thanks!

• Oh my goodness, lol. I have a confession...that window was installed 25 years ago and I never stained it! What you say?!? I applied a sealant to it and that was it. I liked that natural look of the wood and with time it has darkened up. I debated painting it after putting up the white trim but worried about the up and down movement and whether it would chip with time. Maybe someday in between projects I will paint it but until then, I like the contrast. Thanks for the comments.

• Sharon Ewing

Could it be the railing around the deck outside that is in question?

• Erin Ross-Jenks

What kind of glue did you use for the tiles?

• I am sorry, but it was a glue that was provided by the flooring company. I assume it is the base that you will typically put down on the floor when you tile a surface.

• CLN

Elizabeth this is fantastic! Amazing transformation.... You mentioned caulking the seams after you had nailed the MDF strips to the wall. What do you consider as a seam? Curious to know where you caulked. Thank you.

• Kari

Where did you get the vanity lights pls?

• Kim Larsen

Do you have instructions for the blind? I LOVE it!!

• Shirley

I really like the height of your board and batten...What , if you remember were the height of your vertial pieces? There are so many ways to do this, but I really like your height!! Thanks!

• Katy Morecock Lloyd-Mustian

Where did you get the light fixture? I️ love it!
  • Spartychic

Did you remove the toilet to install the new flooring or are you really good with a knife? It looks great.

• DB1106

Looks fabulous! thank you for sharing ! -- Does the MDF board all come in the same thickness?

• Karen J

I read about how you attached the glass knob to the board but I can't picture the square piece you put in the hole first. Do you know what the piece is called? I love the look. Great job on the whole bathroom.

• TW

It is a rod attached to the knob that passes through the door and attaches to the knob on the other side. I have attached a picture.

• Karen J

I'm sorry, probably didn't ask the question the right way. The knob is on the board & batten by the medicine cabinet and is being used as a towel holder.

• Sambo Luy

I also have similar tile to you. I am thinking of changing it to all white to make it look bigger, what do you think?

• Patti Williams Edenfield

It looks fantastic! I wonder if the MDF could be glued on over my grey1957 ceramic tile walls? What do you tjink? Anyone have experience with this?

• Thank you for your comment Patti! I am not sure if you would be able to glue the boards on tile. I would go to Home DePot or Lowes and check with the professionals on this.

Also, in my opinion, I am not sure the boards would look good with tile (again, just my opinion). I would consider removing the tile or even paint the tile if you are not happy with it.

• Alison

Prob best for you to remove the old tile. That way you can get your electrician to perhaps swap a light fixture or add a plug if needed. I upgraded our heater from the old base board. What a huge (warm) difference!! Good luck happy renovating.

Ali

• Cheryl Lewis

Plus, no worries about getting moisture between the tiles & board. I would think...

• Martin Finn

Do you recall the thickness of the board? This stuff gets pretty heavy.

• Hi Martin - I wonder if you are confusing these with something different. These boards are only 1/2 inch thick and 1 1/2 in wide. Not heavy at all.

• Keisha

Martin is likely referring to the MDF. Depending on the thickness it can be extremely heavy compared to plywood.

• Christine

How did you address the bottom of the boards at the baseboard?

• Suz

More info on Roman shades?

• Amber Kenaga

What color is that blue? I love it!

• Thank you Amber. I am so sorry I had painted that bathroom six years ago and do not remember the paint color.

• Connie0323

It looks like Sherwin Williams Sea Salt. It can look green, blue and sometimes a gray. It's a Chameleon paint depending on natural light. I painted my bathroom and I LOVE it. !!

• Kathy harvey

I agree it looks like sea salt by sherwin Williams. I was painting my bathroom and bedroom with that exact color earlier today. I love it

• Susan Rogge

Nice!

• Toni Anderson

If you should have the 2"Faux Wood Blinds they come with a come with come with a Valance to hide the hardware & give it a "finished" look I have applied Industrial Strength Velcro strips which I have purchased by the roll at

Wal-Mart for other craft projects,etc I attach the Velcro to the fabric & the Valance,over the years

I've changed the look of the

Valances several times completely using the same fabric by using decorative trim,ribbon, or Decorative Nail Heads, I have also made pleats with fabric using the Velcro to hold them in place & I have used the nail heads to hold the pleats in place also this does not effect the Blind in any way Now they have cordless faux wood blinds which are slightly more expensive!

Another idea would be to use a white or creme colored fabric and then apply decorative Christmas ribbon which can be very festive & in expensive!!