Upcycle an Old Shutter Into a Beautiful Command Center

When we were remodeling our kitchen I knew I wanted to do some sort of a "command center", but I hate the overall cluttered look of them. Too much "stuff" gets my OCD and ADD in overdrive!
I did though, want a spot to display thank you cards, family photos that come in the mail as well as fun post cards without it all looking busy.
On my last trip to our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore I noticed they had a huge bin full of shutters for $2 a piece. They were pretty beat up, but looking at them I knew I could turn them into something perfect - my command center!
Get the full DIY at www.CrazyDiyMom.com
I know this isn't a typical command center so we could call it a message board, but no matter what you call it, it works perfectly for me. It allows for just enough storage of special notes without cluttering up my walls with "stuff".
This is what my shutter looked like when I bought it, except a little bit more beat up (I forgot to take my before picture on this one).
Grab a can of spray paint - I used the one meant for plastic - and paint the front of your shutter.
Once your shutter is dry, you want to attach some posterboard or card stock to the back of your shutter where the vents are. This is what will keep your cards and notes from falling through.
I just measured the vent part and cut out posterboard to match and then glued it on to the vent slats with E6000 glue.
I also attached little cup hooks to the bottom of my shutter to hold my little plant as well as any other things I could think of.
Once it is all dry you can hang it up and display your favorite cards and notes.
You can get more DIY's like this at CrazyDiyMom.com

Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

1 comment
  • Bonbon

Love the idea. My Space will work with shutter horizontal. Great looking too. I'll get measuring tape out now. Thanks.