Faux Tin Ceiling.

When we made my art room, it originally started out that I was going to have a big plain room with lots of storage.
BUT, I have a wonderful husband who said I deserved more and so I ended up with the most beautiful and functional art room I can imagine.
When we did the drywall, on the ceiling, I decided since the room was so pretty, that I wanted faux tin and bought Styrofoam ceiling tiles to achieve the effect.
The installation was EASY PEASY!
First we did the drywall - this was the hard part and NOT part of this project. It was mudded but not taped and them it was primed - to stabilize the mud - with some left over paint as It would not matter under the tile.
Mudded.
we bought our paintable Styrofoam or styrene tiles from http://www.decorativeceilingtiles.net

My tiles were on sale for 2.99 a tile (Canadian) and are 20" x 20"
Although I should have take a photo, I didn't. But what we did was make a chalk line from one side to the other so we had a perfect 90 degree angle where we wanted the tile to start. We chose not to pick the centre of the room, but the edge of the lights so that cutting the tiles would be easier and we would not have to disconnect the lights. You can still see the blue chalk line near the lights if you look closely, and in the upper left hand side of the picture.
We used an adhesive latex silicone to adhere the tiles . On the back of each tile we put 16 ( 4 rows of 4 dabs) nickel sized dabs of the adhesive, and simply pressed them into place. The tiles are quite thin and are easily cut with an exacto knife or retractable blade.
Here, you can see an close up of where the tiles do not exactly match up - just the imperfections in beams or ceiling can cause this - or a slight difference in the tiles from one container to another
After all the tiles were installed, I ran a thin bead of paintable latex silicone along all the seams.
And smoothed it out with my finger.. ( BTW I cut my nails after about 10 tiles!)
All sealed - painted 1 coat of white ceiling paint.
Next, the lights and vents. ( the vents are another story!)
Done! Well except for the mess on the shelves ~ since everything went on them when the furniture was taken out to do the ceiling!

• Linda

You said you attached the tiles to dry wall. Can you attach them to ceiling tiles that are already up in the room?

• Cwh32322190

Will this go over popcorn ceiling?
    • Patty

My ceiling wasn't primed before the popcorn was put on. So some of the popcorn has fallen off. Will the tiles still stay on if the popcorn comes off so easily? I'm afraid they would all fall down
  • Sandy Slade

Hi I love this looks really good .Are they a special type as usually this type of tile are not allowed here in GB as they are a fire hazard. Thanks.

• Sandy Slade

Thanks for information.Glad to hear that I will see if we can use them now .I love it

• Helana schreiber

I thought about doing this in my hallway in my home in NY. Never did it but now I am going to try to do this in my laundry room on the small walls over the counter and washer and dryer. i love he look.

• Teresa

Thank you, I love the look and I love that it is so easy to put up and to paint!

• Yvonne Procter

Love the look but they are banned where I live. xxx

• Yvonne Procter

Actually, they are not banned (just checked it out) but they have to be put up in a certain manner and they come with loads of rules. LOL. I live in a caravan (trailer) so we need to be cautious about what we can/should use to decorate. It doesn't take much for one of these to burn down. I do really like the finish, too