Acrylic Paint Storage - Easy to See Colour!

I always have a mess of paint, and sometimes because I cannot find one, I buy another and end up with numerous containers of the same colour - which is not bad if it is a colour you use often, but if its puce?!?!?!
My mess of paint.
Cans and a roll of tack paper ( self adhesive)
Measure your can
Cut strips of self adhesive tack paper
cut each strip to the right size to go around your cans
roll onto can
Like this...
Cut more paper when you run out - or get more cans!
I put the paints in cap first so I can easily see what colours of paint I have. I am not quite finished as we need to eat more canned food before I can be done, need 5 more but think I will do 10, now that I can see them all, I want more colours!
I added this picture after the fact.. I needed 2 bigger cans and so used a large coffee can, and cut the metal rim off, papered it the same way and presto, a can for 6-8 ounce paints!

• Empty cans
  • Self adhesive paper

• Candy Walsh

That's a great idea for the small bottles (especially storing them upside down). Do you have any ideas for the 8 oz or bigger chalk, etc type paint bottles?

• Teresa

I have one of these, in my closet. Its a slim slide storage cart. I had it before the room in my previous home because- they make these for beside your fridge too. My husband was going to make me one out of wood, but I had this. It is 5" wide (4 3/4" on the inside) and 30 inches tall. It is great for holding larger bottles and quarts of paint. BTW if you want to make one, out of wood, here are the instructions. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-...

• Patricia Ann Freeman Baskin

Not as good a solution as above, but perhaps you could use the LARGE coffee cans to store the large bottles.

• Claranne

Try a paper beverage tote...a six pack. Cans of paint, cans of spray paint, etc. fit in them, can be carried around, and decorated if you wish.

• Jac9193208

Here's an idea. Get a 6 pack of Corona and some lime. Remove all the beer, drink some, with lime, then paint the beer carton or whatever you want. Works for me.

• Grandmasue10

I would paint the top outside side of the container with the color that is inside. At the big box stores they dab a tiny bit of the color on the lid, but sometimes you can't see the top, so painting a little down the side would help.

• Candy Walsh

Thank ya'll so much for all the great idea!!

• Vicki

I use used oatmeal boxes.

• Julie Banks

Thanks for the link Teresa looks like I may be busy making that as well it would be good to place in between the tables for my business.

• 62q10370829

I use plastic shoe boxes that are flat side without lids. I put reds in one , yellows and etc. Set in book shelf. I have every color. When I want a color I just pull out that shoe box. I like the can idea but I have to many.

• Teresa

Grandmasue10 - They lay on their side so you can easily see the colour no need to dab the top!

• Teresa

Candy, I just added a picture, I used a large coffee can to hold my 8oz bottles!

• Candy Walsh

Thank you so much!!

• Debbie

Or use large coffee cans, tomato juice cans etc

• Glory

Might be a silly question - Love this project and want to do it. My only doubt is -Wouldn't storing the paints upside down make it where the paint goes into the lid, and make it messy? TIA

• Dmo8671202

What size cans are you using to get 5 cans inside
    • Teresa

They are from Canned tomatoes and fruit cocktail - the big cans?

• Elizabeth

Great idea! Just started my paint collection and I have lots of saved cans. Thanks Teresa!

• Brenda L Herrling

I was just thinking I needed a way to store all of my acrylic paints. Great share.

• Teresa

Thank you, i like that i can see what colour i have.