Black Kitchen Cabinets Makeover Reveal

Our 25+ year old kitchen had a whole lot of stained wood going on, along with some very busy granite. None of it was my style; however, I didn't want the expense and the hassle of doing a big kitchen renovation project. After deliberating for a year, we finally decided painting our kitchen cabinets would give us the most bang for our buck. (Painting kitchen cabinets & DIY wood countertop shelf tutorials are

black kitchen cabinets makeover reveal, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design

Our 25 year old cherry cabinets looked great from a distance; however, up close the stain was missing around the knobs and the clear coating was gone. To me it seemed the Venetian Gold granite was the focal point and since I don't like granite in general, and this granite in particular, I wanted to take the focus away from the granite.

Our kitchen also has lots of natural light, a light wood floor, light colored walls & back splash. So we decided the cabinets needed to be painted a darker color to "ground" the overall design.

So we went bold! The cabinets were painted with General Finishes Lamp Black Milk Paint. The black cabinets not only "grounded" the design, but also toned down the gold & yellow undertones of the granite.

We added cup pulls from D. Lawless Hardware.

And replaced the outdate fluorescent light with antiqued brass pendant lights.

Custom designed "space saver" shelves were added to double our countertop space. (There's a post on the blog with directions to make your own shelf).

All decor items were painted kilim beige so that the eye would float over the entire kitchen without stopping on any one particular item. Having a cohesive and simple color scheme is especially important when dealing with busy granite. Hop on over to the blog to find more before and after pics, along with very detailed, step by step tutorials for each of these projects.

At Home With The Ellingtons

• Lori Smith-Corrigan

Interested in doing this to my oak cabinets. Did you sand down cabinets first before painting? Also did you use any topcoat to seal? How is paint wearing now?

• Hi Lori! I wrote extensively about the process on the blog. If you follow the link provided you will find detailed descriptions of each step of the process. Just look under Kitchen Cabinet Makeovers on the blog for all of the different posts.

• Darlene Rowlands

How did you get it to look so smooth? Excellent job, love the look. Makes me more accepting of a house with older cabinets... would just do what you have done!

• Lynette

I want to paint my bathroom but do not know if I sand the cabinets first and then paint. Can I use a spray paint?

• Christine

Your blog account has been suspended...anywhere else I can get the info on how you did this?

• Carol

The black cabinets looks really good contrasted with the granite. It's absolutely beautiful!