Black Kitchen Cabinets Makeover Reveal

Our 25+ year old kitchen had a whole lot of stained wood going on, along with some very busy granite. None of it was my style; however, I didn't want the expense and the hassle of doing a big kitchen renovation project. After deliberating for a year, we finally decided painting our kitchen cabinets would give us the most bang for our buck. (Painting kitchen cabinets & DIY wood countertop shelf tutorials are located on the blog).

Our 25 year old cherry cabinets looked great from a distance; however, up close the stain was missing around the knobs and the clear coating was gone. To me it seemed the Venetian Gold granite was the focal point and since I don't like granite in general, and this granite in particular, I wanted to take the focus away from the granite.

Our kitchen also has lots of natural light, a light wood floor, light colored walls & back splash. So we decided the cabinets needed to be painted a darker color to "ground" the overall design.

So we went bold! The cabinets were painted with General Finishes Lamp Black Milk Paint. The black cabinets not only "grounded" the design, but also toned down the gold & yellow undertones of the granite.

We added cup pulls from D. Lawless Hardware.

And replaced the outdate fluorescent light with antiqued brass pendant lights.

Custom designed "space saver" shelves were added to double our countertop space. (There's a post on the blog with directions to make your own shelf).

All decor items were painted kilim beige so that the eye would float over the entire kitchen without stopping on any one particular item. Having a cohesive and simple color scheme is especially important when dealing with busy granite. Hop on over to the blog to find more before and after pics, along with very detailed, step by step tutorials for each of these projects.

• Diane Barnett

love this. I am not able to find the step by step directions. Can you post a link please?

• Deb Jordan

I have black soapstone countertops with white uppers and lowers. The island is a natural wood finish. How would a color such as green or blue on the uppers and lowers look?

• Janet Menzie-Denneny

How can I get step by step instructions. The blog link does not seem to be working

• Laura

I think the new look is fantastic! Well done!

However, I have a suggestion.

Every time I looked at one of the finished photos, ALL I could 'see' was the pendant lights! Everything coordinates so well, EXCEPT for those! I thought to myself, they must not have changed those... everything else is coordinated with stainless/brushed/nickel. Then I read you'd just added them. My eye doesn't flow around the room, it gets stuck on those!

Then I read this, "All decor items were painted kilim beige so that the eye would float over the entire kitchen without stopping on any one particular item. Having a cohesive and simple color scheme is especially important when dealing with busy granite." ... and I knew I needed to comment (I rarely do!)

It's such a lovely overall change and I don't understand the logic here. An old cage type pendant with Edison lights would be great here... actually, most anything not gold/brass would be.

• Dorothy

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING. THE LIGHTS DO NOT FLOW WITH THE STAINLESS STEEL APPLIANCES. FIRST THINGS TO CATCH YOUR EYE

• Sandi Goodell

Laura, I agree that the overall look is great, but those lights do stand out, and not in a good way. I would think something not only in keeping with the color scheme, but also a little smaller would not detract from the mood so much.