Soap/Jewelry/Toiletry Stand

$30
1 Day

When you're ballin' on a budget like us and you love to make things, it's so fun when you find the perfect solution to your needs where it literally cost less than $5 to make and you no longer have soap scum on your countertop. I'm totally in love with this cute little soap stand and hopefully you will be too once you see how easy and cheap it is to re-create! We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
soap jewelry toiletry stand, cleaning tips
-glass stick candle holder -glass saucer (make sure you get a saucer/plate that will be a sufficient size for your candle holder) - E6000 adhesive - Rustoleum Painter's Touch Satin Wildflower Blue *Note: I put that this project only cost me $2 because I already had the E6000 and spray paint on hand. If you were to have to purchase all supplies, your total cost would be roughly $10.
STEP 1: Apply E6000 to candle stick First, I applied E6000 to the top edge of my candle stick holder. I put a generous portion but not too much because I didn't want the glue to be a mess everywhere. This glue is really amazing. If you haven't used it before, this will soon become your best friend. *Feel free to use a different item for your stand, such as a wine glass, martini glass or something of the sort. I used a candle stick holder because the glass was thicker and seemed more sturdy.

STEP 2: Adhere candle stick holder to saucer You can do this step however you see is best, but I flipped my saucer on it's face and adhered the candle stick holder to the middle of the saucer (again, the saucer being face down). I let it set overnight to ensure that the E6000 was dry.
STEP 3: Spray paint everything The next day, I spray painted my soap stand with it being still upside down, then flipped it over once it was dry and painted the top side.
I love how this cute little soap stand came out! I've been thinking to myself lately that I need a soap dish but never think about it when I'm out and about running errands. To me, this is even prettier and it's big enough that I can add a towel or 2 different soaps (pump and bar) for display when I have guests over. What I find so cool about this project too is that you can make it to fit your personality...get funky with it! Paint the saucer a different color than the stand, add polka dots, paint strips, have fun and make this soap stand a topic of conversation at your next gathering.

• Birdz of a Feather

Is this for display only or do you actually use it? I'm wondering if the paint would stand up to water and soap scum?
    • Gai29018160

I would just buy some really cute plates that match your colors and not paint it at all! Don’t forget to shop at resale stores too!

• Lisa

This is adorable. Since it is painted, are you able to actually use it for a wet bar of soap? I'm afraid the paint would eventually come off.
    • Linda Sikut

She used spray paint for this. I wouldn't put spray in an oven. It has a lot more chemicals and IF I remember right, the can say's it's flammable. Spray paint is more likely to stick although there is a primer that you can use to make it stick even better.
  • Lisa Williams

Now that we have listed where E6000 can be purchased has anyone tried this hack?? Did it stand up to water. Author doesn't seem to be too interested in answering this.... I would think the paint will be easy to remove, but still cute. Here's a better idea: skip the paint. Glue gems around it!!! You can also glue other items
    • Jessica Cossin

I nake jewlery, and am always reading about people who use E6000 for their bracelets/necklaces, etc. If you do, I would highly reccomend using it outside or in an EXTREMELY well ventilated area, use all safety precautions. The tube clearly states it's a possible Carcinogen! It is awful smelling, so PLEASE be careful. If you don't need much, I suggest using a paintbrush that comes in a package for $0.97 @ Wal-Mart (that you can throw out when done with the project), and a disposable plate or cup. Craft safely!
      , The back side of the E6000 tube Sorry for the poor clarity

• Linda Abate

Like your idea of using this for a soap dish. I made something similar, using a small vase and putting in beach sand, a few shells and sea glass, and glued a pretty dish to the top and put potpouri in it. This sits on my vanity and keeps the room smelling fresh.
  • Laura

really nice