Ann
Ann
  • Medford, OR

Mini Basket Ornaments From Toilet Paper Tubes

Here's a project using all those toilet paper roll tubes that is fun, clever and doesn't have to cost any money.
I wanted little baskets to make shabby chic ornies but didn't want to buy them. Plus, finding baskets the right size was going to take time and I was impatient to make this project. So without spending any money I dove right in.
mini basket ornaments from toilet paper tubes, bathroom ideas, christmas decorations, crafts, seasonal holiday decor
I save toilet paper and paper towel tubes for crafts and they are perfect for making mini basket ornaments. I removed all the tissue then sprayed them with a bleach and soap solution then let them dry.
Cut them in half, hot glue the bottom edge and use a clamp to secure while the glue cools off. Then go crash your stash for all kinds of smalls, trims, fabric, buttons, etc.
Cover the basket with paper or fabric and lace or trim as you please. Punch two small holes at each side and attach a curly wire handle. Hot glue fiberfill or crumpled tissue inside to keep your basket plump and make all your trims stand up around the top.
This is a fun project! You probably have loads of small items perfect for filling these little baskets. I use them for decor, and for sale in my Etsy shop, as gift toppers and group gifts.
PLUS you can make them with a theme, like these sewing ornaments and college theme ornies. This is a fun and thrifty project, try it!

• Toilet paper tubes  (on hand)
  • Hot glue  (on hand)
  • Lace, fabric, gift wrap  (on hand)
Ann

• Mrs. M. Mertens

It's cute but this is one project I can't figure out what you did. You cut them in half and glued one opening and then what. How did you make a basket , how did you open the top of the basket and how comeb it hangs so low in the front, almost like a square cardboard .

• Jewellmartin

Bottom edge is glued and becomes the bottom of the basket which is stuffed with tissue. Decorate the basket. Attach the handle and glue in all sorts of things to stick out of the basket. (This is the order I would do this.) 😇🍁
  • Img8799216

In the 3rd picture (group of 2) I noticed leaf designs on the rolls. How did you do that? Did you use a doilie when you sprayed them with the water and bleach? Totally love this idea; so many ways to use them - favors, tree decorations, and to put on packages which the receiver of the gift can have as a "keepsake".
    • Ann

The doilies and bleach is a clever idea but no, those baskets are covered with wrapping paper from the Dollar Store. It is brown kraft paper with white designs printed on. I found it in a bin of other kraft wrapping paper rolls which included the same design in red and tiny red checks. I grabbed a roll of each!!