Tip: Get rid of the dreaded ring in the toilet!

+77
Easy Peasy to get rid of! Next time you visit your local Dollar store - pick up a pumice stone ( normally used on your feet to remove unsightly rough skin ) Be sure to have your cleaning gloves ready. Gently rub the pumice stone on the ring around the bowl - may take a few minutes of working at it but it does work and no harsh chemicals ๐Ÿ˜€

(re: Cleaning tips challenge-http://www.hometalk.com/26729461/e-cleaning-tips-challenge)
q the dreaded ring in the toilet, bathroom ideas
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 15, 2017
    I hate those rings!!! I'm trying this for sure!!Thank you!
  • Teri LaRocque Teri LaRocque on Jan 15, 2017
    I am also trying this! Thank you so much!
  • Fer12175055 Fer12175055 on Jan 15, 2017
    I used a razor blade to scrape the ring. but it creates scratches that need bleach later, Does the pumice create the same scratches?
  • Ellen Fandrich Ellen Fandrich on Jan 15, 2017
    I've used a pumice stone for the toilet ring for at least 25 years and never had an issue with scratching the china bowl.
  • NancyandCalvin Remp NancyandCalvin Remp on Jan 16, 2017
    The inside of my tank is stained from hard water would it work on it?
    • See 2 previous
    • Pamela Pamela on Jan 17, 2017
      I believe that it is not new, thus the buildup of minerals. Prior to moving to northeast Indiana, never had the volume of mineral buildup. When we moved in, the deposits were thick even on the plastic parts, cleaned as stated. Still using same internal parts in tank, no leaks indicating any breakdown of plastics or rubber yet, that was 8 years ago.
  • Carol White Hearne Carol White Hearne on Jan 16, 2017
    What a great idea!
  • Lorlq Lorlq on Jan 16, 2017
    wouldn't the pumice damage the porcelain or china wear it away???
  • Jerri Jerri on Jan 16, 2017
    i use vinegar it works for me
    • See 1 previous
    • Joanie Joanie on Feb 20, 2017
      Use what works for you!!
  • Marilyn Marilyn on Jan 16, 2017
    if you can take the smell bleach works great also. just raise the water level above the line of buildup and add a cup of bleach and let it soak. ive also used the pumice but found it scratched a bit. .
    • See 1 previous
    • Lad21822954 Lad21822954 on Jan 01, 2018
      How does one "raise the water level..." in these new water-saving toilets?
  • Donna Avery Donna Avery on Jan 17, 2017
    I use a product called Bar Keepers Friend. It works great on the toilet ring and many other areas as well.
    • See 4 previous
    • 27228081 27228081 on Jan 01, 2018
      Bon Ami is the same as Bar Keepers Friend. They both work wonders on Stainless Steel pots and pans as well as the ring in the toilet bowl.
  • Leslie Mavis Oniki Leslie Mavis Oniki on Jan 17, 2017
    Pumice stone should not scratch. I've used this as well as a piece of old brick. They're both abrasive but softer than the toilet bowl.
  • Pam Obrecht Pam Obrecht on Jan 17, 2017
    It won't scratch the porcelain bowl??
    Seems as though it would~
    • See 4 previous
    • Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on Feb 18, 2018
      So although on older toilets it works grest on a new toilet it might I just wonder if toilets now are not made of the same quality as the older models,like everything now a days that they expect you to replace within ten years. Before high quality was used but companies lost money because people didn't have to replace items as often,just a thought.
  • Anke Dul-van Dooren Anke Dul-van Dooren on Jan 18, 2017
    hot boiled water and vinager is the way for me.
  • Connie Marse Connie Marse on Jan 18, 2017
    Any ideas for removing copper stains from the toilet bowl? Will the pumice stone work on those?
  • Teresa Seeger-Gesser Teresa Seeger-Gesser on Jan 18, 2017
    Connie - I would try Lime Away or CLR. Good luck!
  • Jerri Jerri on Jan 19, 2017
    CLR and lime away are great but when u have sepice tanks it's an issue u have to check and see if it's safe for sepice use
  • Wendy Elias Wendy Elias on Jan 19, 2017
    You can use CLR and Lime-A-Way on your toilets and showers, but you have to be diligent about replacing and creating the right bacteria in your septic system. One good way is to flush a can of cat or dog food  at LEAST once a month to help create the good bacteria that keeps our septic systems and drain fields in good working order
    • See 2 previous
    • Ron Wilson Ron Wilson on Nov 13, 2019

It states on the label of CLR is safe for septic. It is in very small print near the bottom. I still don't trust it!

• Jerri Jerri on Jan 19, 2017
    True but good bacteria for septic tank I use one pkg. Yeast every once a month just pour in your toilet and flush
  • Just add a 500 ml. bottle of coke to your bowl.
  • Cheryl Cheryl on Feb 19, 2017
    I've only used bleร ch. One day my curiosity got the best of me and I tried the can of Coke. Guess what? It worked.
  • Yvonne Yvonne on Feb 19, 2017
    I tried a pumice stone and got black scratch marks which will not come off. Bleach, scouring powder, CLR.....nothing works.
    • See 2 previous
    • Barbara Ried Barbara Ried on Jun 06, 2017
      OH YES, YOU WILL SCRATCH!!!
  • Sherrie S Sherrie S on Feb 21, 2017
    I pour vinegar and then add Bon Ami (doesn't scratch). Let it set for about 15 minutes and brush the bowl. I found adding vinegar to the tank a couple times a year to clear out the gunk made a big difference.
  • Gloria Harrell Gloria Harrell on Feb 21, 2017
    I had a blue ring around my toilet and nothing worked.i tried baking soda whitite vinegar,clorox. Comet, bleach line away cor. Nothing worked.then I tried the WORKS.
    You. Cannot find it everywhere.i found it at piggy wiggly store. My blue ring is gone as well as calcium and soap scrum build up.it is fantastic
  • Wester Potter Wester Potter on Feb 22, 2017
    Get a bottle of Vani Sol and make sure you also use it up under the flush ring. Use a scrubber on a handle to get under the lip.